Author Topic: Daniel Laidlaw VC - Piper of Loos  (Read 6124 times)

Offline Laidlaw18

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Daniel Laidlaw VC - Piper of Loos
« on: Thursday 14 June 12 12:47 BST (UK) »
Hi my father was the nephew of Daniel Laidlaw Piper of Loos I am trying to find other relatives so that I can contact them and find out more about my ancestry.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Laidlaw VC - Piper of Loos
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 June 12 15:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Laidlaw18

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

I have split your post from the other older one you posted on. Hopefully, you will get some good help and advice here.

Are you trying to trace back your father's family or simply looking to make contact with descendants of this Laidlaw family across different connected branches of it?

Lots online on Daniel Laidlaw isn't there which is great for your research, such as here:

http://battlefields1418.50megs.com/dlaidlaw.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Laidlaw
http://www.victoriacross.org.uk/bblaidla.htm - mention here of Daniel Laidlaw's descendants.

Google as you have - Daniel Laidlaw Piper of Loos - lots of references that might help you to make connections with.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aitchscot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 June 12 07:59 BST (UK) »
Hi my father was the nephew of Daniel Laidlaw Piper of Loos I am trying to find other relatives so that I can contact them and find out more about my ancestry.

I am not related to him. However, I do know some of his relatives.
Daniel has a Son interred at Leitholm called Loos Laidlaw. Daniel is ofcourse interred at Norham where he was postmaster after the War.

Aitch
Aitchison, Greenlaw, Renton, Jenkinson
Berwickshire/ East Lothian areas.

Offline Gail100

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 July 13 22:17 BST (UK) »
Hi my Grandmother was a niece of Daniel Laidlaw. He died before I was born but I remember seeing his sister who lived with my Grandmother and who was very old when I was very young. They lived in Gosport Hampshire. I think this must make us cousins x times removed?

Offline kerrylaidlaw

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 February 14 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello

My grandfather (also Daniel) is Piper Laidlaw's eldest grandchild (son of Piper Laidlaw's eldest son Andrew).

My grandfather Daniel and his family are still living in the Berwick upon Tweed area; we attended the ceremony to award Piper Laidlaw with a headstone for his grave in Norham churchyard.

Kerry Laidlaw

Offline Natalie Spence

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 September 14 16:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,
     Wondering if anyone can help me as part of a local heroes project we have decided to research Piper Laidlaw, however I have a couple of questions which  I cannot seem to find answers too. does anyone know the name of his youngest child so far we have Andrew, John, Margaret and Georgina but cannot seem to find the name of the 5th child, also does anyone know what Piper Laidlaw's pre-army employment was?

Thank you

Natalie