Author Topic: MELMOTH family in Dorset  (Read 13546 times)

Offline mphalp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MELMOTH family in Dorset
« Reply #18 on: Friday 21 June 13 15:29 BST (UK) »

TAPPER definitely back to WILLIAM TAPPER and MARY CLINKER (ie: mid 1750s)
The TAPPER tree could go back to ROBERT of Farrington (1570) but WILLIAM's parentage is uncertain, so at present, the link is not established although thought to be likely.
MELMOTH back to THOMAS MELMOTH 1630 & MARY BEERE (c.1640)
WOODFORD back to at least DANIEL WOODFORD & MARTHA FLEW (born c.1655)
Also TUFFIN / RIP or REAP / COOKMAN etc - all in Dorset.
If you have access to Ancestry, you can contact me via the KNIGHT / TAPPER tree.

Wow, that's fantastic. I am on Ancestry so will contact you.  I have a very reliable copy of the tree back to Willam Tapper (1759), but beyond that I'm just relying on 'hints'.

I have a few family photos too. For example the photo on the right in my avatar is reputed to be Joseph Tapper and Eliza Melmoth.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Michelle

Edit: Hi, I've just had a look on Ancestry and I have to upgrade before I can view your tree. My tree is called Winkworth Family Tree. I do have some records / sources but haven't added details as yet.
Riggs - Dorset
Tapper - Dorset
White - Dorset
Clinker - Wiltshire
Newbolt - Dorset
House - Dorset
Melmoth - Dorset
Worsam - Hampshire
Elliott - Hampshire
Winkworth - Hampshire

Offline TappyKnight

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 21 June 13 19:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks
I will try to contact you there.  Don't know that I can see the Avatar but would love to see any photos of JOSEPH TAPPER / ELIZA MELMOTH.  I have a very scary photo of ELIZA as a widow!  She was my great-grandmother.

Offline mphalp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 21 June 13 19:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks
I will try to contact you there.  Don't know that I can see the Avatar but would love to see any photos of JOSEPH TAPPER / ELIZA MELMOTH.  I have a very scary photo of ELIZA as a widow!  She was my great-grandmother.

I think I've seen that photo! A portrait of her in a bonnet? A copy was sent to me by the lady who researched the Tapper family tree and kindly provided me with a copy.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Michelle
Riggs - Dorset
Tapper - Dorset
White - Dorset
Clinker - Wiltshire
Newbolt - Dorset
House - Dorset
Melmoth - Dorset
Worsam - Hampshire
Elliott - Hampshire
Winkworth - Hampshire

Offline TappyKnight

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 21 June 13 20:06 BST (UK) »
Think you will have to send me a message on Ancestry via contact via my tree there please

Offline astromuzza

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 20 March 15 01:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello!

My great, great grandfather was William Melmoth who emigrated to Australia from Durweston with his wife Louisa Horlock and 3 (or perhaps 4) children in 1849. My great grandmother, Martha, was their second child born after they arrived here in Australia so, despite my Italian name, I too have Melmoth blood in my veins!

I was wondering if someone could help with a question that I have - I've noted that William's Mother was Mary Ann Melmoth and his father was William Hunt. Does anyone know, or have an idea, as to why he took the Melmoth name? Was he born out of wedlock perhaps?

An interesting sidenote is that in Australia, the Melmoth name has become Melmouth...

Cheers,
Mario

Offline astromuzza

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 24 March 15 03:30 GMT (UK) »

I was wondering if someone could help with a question that I have - I've noted that William's Mother was Mary Ann Melmoth and his father was William Hunt. Does anyone know, or have an idea, as to why he took the Melmoth name? Was he born out of wedlock perhaps?

Further to my previous post, it appears from the information in this thread that Eliza and Mary Ann were sisters...

Cheers,
Mario

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 09 July 20 14:33 BST (UK) »
I realise that this is an old post, however, if anyone has any information re. the Melmoth family of Corfe/Swanage/Langton Matravers I would love to compare notes.  Particularly interested in the parentage of William Melmoth bp 1618 son of John Melmoth and anything prior to that!

Any information gratefully received.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)