Author Topic: Edgbaston college for young ladies  (Read 6427 times)

Offline MargieMag

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Edgbaston college for young ladies
« on: Sunday 17 June 12 20:06 BST (UK) »
Can anyone shed light on this school in Birmingham which my mother attended in about 1912/16? She spoke of the headmistress  as Miss Bailey. Does the building still exist?

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edgbaston college for young ladies
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 June 12 20:22 BST (UK) »
hi & welcome to RC. if you look in the national archives

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/default.asp

they have documents for :
Scope and content
Edgbaston: Church of England College for Girls: Full Inspection
Covering dates   1912
Held by  The National Archives, Kew
Legal status  Public Record(s)

just put Edgbaston college & dates 1900 -1920 in catalogue.

there are details as to ordering etc.

if you Google Edgbaston college there is a wikapaedia article incl:

St George’s School, next to St. George's Church, in Edgbaston, Birmingham, England, is an independent, non-selective school for girls and boys aged 3 to 18. It consists of a lower school, an upper school and a sixth form.

It was founded in 1999 from the merger of two schools: Edgbaston Church of England College for Girls, founded in 1886 and Edgbaston College, founded at the end of the nineteenth century. The school is situated one mile from the centre of Birmingham and occupies a six-acre site. The headmaster since 2010 is Robert Dowling.

could this be the place?

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 June 12 20:46 BST (UK) »
Historical Directories (on line)

Court Guide & County Blue Books of Warks, Worcs & Staffs 1902
EDGBASTON COLLEGE FOR GIRLS
227 and 198 Bristol Road, Birmingham
Private Residence for Boarders
Principal Mary E Baily     Head Mistress  Eleanor Moss B.A

Bennett's Business Directory for Warwickshire 1914
Schools
Edgbaston College for Girls, 227 and 198 Bristol Road

regards

Offline Elrosa

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 December 12 00:19 GMT (UK) »
Edgbaston College for Girls, Bristol Road and The Edgbaston Church of England College for Girls, ( Now St. George's School), 31 Calthorpe Road, are completely separate establishments, abd quite unconnected.

Hope this helps.

Offline David Hankey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 February 13 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Everyone,

I've just stumbled across this particular topic whilst researching for something else and I wonder if this College was the home of the 'Priory Girls Club'. Edgbaston is certainly the right locality.

My great aunt, Ellen Mary Hopkins, was given a barometer I believe as a leaving present with the date of 20th April 1910 before she left for Aberystwyth.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, David
Duroe, Duro, Durow, Derbyshire
Freegard, Freeguard, Wiltshire & South Wales
Hankey, Daresbury, Cheshire
Hopkins, Banbury, Oxfordshire
Malson, Newport, Monmouthshire
Wait, Yoxall, Staffordshire

Offline west2013

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 February 13 20:16 GMT (UK) »
David

In case it helps [and based on the fact that I live 3 miles from Edgabston] Priory Road is a main road that cuts through Edgbaston, very near 198/228 Bristol Road where Edgbaston College for Girls was.  The Edgbaston Priory Club is near Priory Road, and has been a smart tennis club for many years....and one day I may have saved enough to play there!  Likely that you are absolutely in the right geographical area.

Oliver

Offline ArchieT123

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 August 17 09:46 BST (UK) »
Hi there...just stumbled across this thread by accident....I am an ex-pupil of Edgbaston Church of England College for Girls (ECC), so may be able to shed some light on this....there were two schools with similar names....my school (ECC) and Edgbaston College....both ceased to exist in 1999, when they merged to form the co-ed St George's school, which is located on the old ECC site on Calthorpe Rd (opposite St George's church). ECC was founded in 1886. I don't remember mention of a Miss Bailey as headteacher in the 1900s, so I think you may be talking about Edgbaston College....unfortunately, I can't find my book on the history of the school to verify this, but if I do find it, I'll update this thread. The school was evacuated during WWII to Attingham Park. In my era, girls from ECC played squash at the Priory club (I noted someone in an earlier reply talking about the club). Toyah Wilcox was an ex-pupil (and often mentions the school in interviews), as was Gabrielle Drake (ex-Crossroads actress and sister of musician Nick Drake). Hope this helps.

Offline countrymouse

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 October 18 06:55 BST (UK) »
New member here (from the US) and just posting to note:

Edgbaston Church of England College for Girls, or Edgbaston c of e College for Girls, as it was listed in the credits, was the source in 1983 of the young ladies who played the roles of the "Lowood girls", for the BBC production of "Jane Eyre", starring Timothy Dalton and Zelah Clarke as Rochester and Jane. 

Offline Edgbastonian

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 April 19 04:23 BST (UK) »
I attended Edgbaston Church of England College for Girls from 1967 to 1981.My older sisters were there too.My family were also members of the Edgbaston Priory Club.My father and mother remained members from the 60s to this day.Sadly, Helen who did the catering passed away earlier this year.She used to make sandwiches for me and my brother after our tennis lesson with Mrs Brewer on Sat mornings.The club has changed over the years, become so much bigger, more people.There were only a handful of children playing tennis in 1970s .We also had Ann Jones, our own Wimbledon champion! Toyah Wilcox was a 'best' friend of my sisters and when her mother kicked her out [the wild 70s!]my mother took her in.I loved the school and have some fond memories.There were quite a few vicars' children, one or two were expelled for smoking banned substances in the loos.Personally I'm sad that the school no longer exists
as a girl's school.I live on the South Coast now but I'm immensely proud of my Edgbastonian roots.I often wonder about ex-pupils as I haven't kept in touch with anyone.My sister is in contact with the art teacher Karen Howells, who was great fun, trendy and young.Names of teachers I liked:Miss Smart[Maths]Miss Burgoyne[Latin]Mrs Bough[PE]We were terrified of the purple-haired Headmistress Miss Joice[spelling?] Mrs Bourne.Many girls had a crush on Elvis, the caretaker! Mrs Thatcher was the guest speaker at Speech Day and declared that we should have the day off the next day, Miss Joice was not amused!I remember when a bomb went off nearby at an ad agency[?], the school windows were shattered and it was shocking.I have a book about the school somewhere, its history and will try and find it, maybe shed some light on Miss Bailey mentioned by an earlier post .