Author Topic: Records of London's Livery Companies Online  (Read 5788 times)

Offline delphi8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Records of London's Livery Companies Online
« on: Monday 18 June 12 15:00 BST (UK) »

http://www.londonroll.org/

The site states: "At present the database includes all of the extant information about apprentices and registers from the Clothworkers' (1545-1908) and the Drapers' (c.1400-1900), with a sample of data from the Goldsmiths' (1600-1700). Future updates will include the complete records of the Mercers'."

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: Records of London's Livery Companies Online
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 June 12 17:02 BST (UK) »
Typical, doesn't include the Dyers Company. ::)  Oh well, useful for anyone whith ancestors in those livery companies though.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline annevb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 March 15 05:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for posting this link. Found heaps that will be of help.
Goodwin London area
Rixson/Rixon Kent area
Jaques London area

Offline annevb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 March 15 06:00 GMT (UK) »
Typical, doesn't include the Dyers Company. ::)  Oh well, useful for anyone whith ancestors in those livery companies though.
My ancestors were dyers and I found them under the Draper's Company.
Goodwin London area
Rixson/Rixon Kent area
Jaques London area

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 March 15 13:31 GMT (UK) »

Unfortunately my dyers don't appear in the Drapers Company records, but I know some were members of the Dyers Company because their Freedom's appear on ancestry.  The problem I have is I need access to the pre1680s company records to try and confirm another line.  I shall just have to try and get to the Guildhall Library sometime to view them. :-\
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline annevb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 March 15 07:37 GMT (UK) »

Unfortunately my dyers don't appear in the Drapers Company records, but I know some were members of the Dyers Company because their Freedom's appear on ancestry.  The problem I have is I need access to the pre1680s company records to try and confirm another line.  I shall just have to try and get to the Guildhall Library sometime to view them. :-\

If you go here http://www.dyerscompany.com/ You can download a list of Liverymen.
Goodwin London area
Rixson/Rixon Kent area
Jaques London area

Offline confused73

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 March 15 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Do be aware that one was not always a member of the company that was your trade. My gt.grandfather was a member of the cloth sellers guild but was a gold beater. He had been apprenticed to a goldbeater who was a member of the clothbeaters guild.  How this happened I do not know.
Bottle,Wheatley Marsh, Williams, Dowling,    Penrose, Gilbert

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 March 15 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Confused73, yes I'm aware of that.  I have a couple of bricklayers who were members of the Merchant Tailor's Livery Company. ;D

Thanks an for the link to the Dyer's Company list, unfortunately its less complete than the records that are on ancestry.  One of my ancestors and his brother were freeman of the company, there admittance papers are on ancestry, but they are missing from the list.  Unfortunately, even if it was more complete, I need to see more detailed records, if any exist, such as apprenticeship details, to see if I can confirm the line of descent for 4 generations of dyers is correct. :-\  So I need unfortunately a trip to the Guildhall Library.