Author Topic: Clark family Vancouver  (Read 3242 times)

Offline A bairn

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Clark family Vancouver
« on: Tuesday 19 June 12 13:16 BST (UK) »
Looking for info on the children of Lizzie and Charles Clark of 357 Catalina Crescent, Sea Island. The children were William, John, Hugh, Charles, Nellie and Mary Lou. I have no info on their births/deaths. Their mother Lizzie was my grandmother's sister. Lizzie was born in Scotland 12 July 1882 to Annie Hastie Cochrane McCabe.
Any help in finding the canadian side of the family would be appreciated.

Maureen

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Clark family Vancouver
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 June 12 14:51 BST (UK) »
You can search the BC Vitals index for free at this link. BMDs are subject to privacy laws as outlined in the website. If you do find a related record, familysearch.org generally gives a bit more info for the record than the index does.

http://www.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/textual/governmt/vstats/v_events.htm#indexes

Do you have any of the family in the 1911 census? You can search for free at this link.

http://automatedgenealogy.com/

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 June 12 15:05 BST (UK) »
https://familysearch.org/search/collection/list#page=1&region=CANADA

Family Search gives some marriage and death information on Charles Frederick Clark and Elizabeth Cochrane, Hugh, John and Helen Bell.  Perhaps more but those were the ones that I noticed.

I'm assuming that Elizabeth's maiden name was Cochrane.

Debbie

Offline A bairn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 June 12 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Polarbear, thanks for sending info. I've checked the 1911 Census for all of Vancouver but they're not listed. The Archives haven't turned up anything either.Elizabeth died in 1962 and Charles in '64 but so far I haven't managed to discover when they moved to Vancouver.I think they also lived in Medicine Hat and in Yonkers NY.The sites you sent are going to be useful for further research but I must admit I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by the size of canadian census - Scotland is smaller and simpler !
Cheers
Maureen

Offline A bairn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 June 12 21:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie, thanks for getting back to me. Elizabeth's maiden surname was Cochrane. I've looked at Family Search site but couldn't find them would you tell me where you found them as I must be doing something wrong.
Cheers
Maureen

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 June 12 18:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The familysearch site takes a bit of getting used to - but when you get the hang of it, it is a fantastic resource. 

Debbie posted the link to the Canadian records on the familysearch site.  Just select the BC marriages collection or the BC deaths collection and look for your rellies there.   Debbie accessed this list by going to the main familysearch screen and scrolling down to the "Browse by location" section.  Just select Canada.  This is a great way to see what records are in the familysearch collection for a particular place.  It also a great way to narrow your search to a specific collection of records.   

You can also find the records by going to the main familysearch search screen, type Charles Clark in the search boxes, then narrow your search by selecting "search by relationships" and adding the spouse Lizzie Cochrane.  Hit search and there you go. 

https://familysearch.org/

You should get Charles's death, the death of a son Joseph Alexander Clark, the marriages of Hugh, John and Nellie (Helen).  From the search results list, select each record to see more detail. 

You can see that John was born in 1910 in Scotland, but Joseph was born in 1917 in Medicine Hat Alberta.  That gives you a window for immigration.  Also, someone with access to A**y could check the 1916 census to see if they were in Medicine Hat then. 

RK :) 

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 June 12 19:30 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0nwq/
Link to 1916 census image from Collections Canada

Debbie

Offline A bairn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 June 12 22:13 BST (UK) »
Hi RK
thank you so much for the instructions hopefully now I'll be able to navigate the site, it was good of you to take the trouble.

Maureen

Offline A bairn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 June 12 22:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie
thankyou for sending the link I've been in and the page was fascinating and gave a lot of info I didn't have. I'll be able to go to Register House Edinburgh now and know the childrens' birth certs I'm looking for and hopefully a marriage cert.

Maureen