Author Topic: William Fullerton & Rose Montgomery  (Read 9243 times)

Offline annamaywong

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Fullerton & Rose Montgomery
« on: Wednesday 20 June 12 15:53 BST (UK) »
Am hoping someone can help and point me in the 'right' direction - The above are mentioned in some Scottish/Irish Archive in connection with Ballintoy Castle and the Route in 1641 am hoping to find some mention of any off-spring of this couple.  Sorry its vague, but any leads would be greatly appreciated   Anna :o
Wigmore, Berkshire - England
Leach, Berkshire - England
Brittle, Gibbard, Harding - England/N.S.W. Australia
Fullarton, Dalby, Mollison- Australia/Jamaica

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: William Fullerton & Rose Montgomery
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 June 12 01:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Don't know if you've seen The Stewarts of Ballintoy : with notices of other families of the district in the seventeenth century from Google Books.  A quick copy & paste gives a bit of info on the family.  Evidently there was at least one daughter from William & Rose's marriage whose married name became Hill.  Their son, William Hill, lived at Moiyarget.

Page 14:
The man named William Fullerton, who assisted in 1641 to hold the Castle of Ballintoy against the insurgent Irish, is reported to have left a large family. Several of his descendants in the eighteenth century were well known. One of them, also named William Fullerton, married Rose Montgomery, of Moiyarget, and the late William Hill of the same place was their grandson. Another brother, named David Fullerton was a Presbyterian minister of Carrickfergus, from 1750 to 1766, and died the rector of a parish near Kingston, Jamaica, in 1789. A third, named George Fullerton, emigrated to Virginia, in America, and was slain fighting on the side of the Colonists, in the war of Independence. He left one daughter, Catherine, who became sole heir to her uncle, Alexander Fullarton. The latter had been educated as a doctor, and accumulated a large amount of wealth in Jamaica. On his return, he purchased the Ballintoy estate for the sum I £20,000 and having no family, although married, he bequeathed this fine property to his niece, as already stated, whose son, according to his will, was required to take the name of Fullerton. This lady married Dawson Downing, Esq., of Ballaghy and Rowesgift, in the county of Derry. She left one son, George Alexander Fullerton, who was born in the Mansion, Ballycastle, November, 1775, and died at Toekington Manor, Gloucester, in 1847. He left three sons and five daughters. His eldest son and heir named Alexander George, wa born in 1808, and married in 1853 the Lady Georgiana Leveson Gower, second daughter of the late Earl of Granville. Their son, William Granville Fullerton, was born at the British Embassy, Paris, in 1834, and died just when he had attained his majority, in 1855. The Ballintoy estate is still owned by a representative of the family.

http://archive.org/stream/stewartsofballin00hill#page/n35/mode/2up/search/Jamaica

brigau

*edit to add from thje same source:

The first Alexander Montgomery, above mentioned, lived and died in Moyarget, leaving one daughter, Rose, who married William Fullerton. Their daughter, Mary Fullerton, married Adam Hill, of Moyarget, and their son, William Hill, of the same place, died in I854, at the age of eighty years. The writer of this account was a son of William Hill.

Offline annamaywong

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Fullerton & Rose Montgomery
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 July 12 10:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you Brigau for your imput and attachments re above.  As mentioned in my PM I had seen the initial page, however the additional pages I have trawled through to no avail (as yet).  There seems to be a 100 year gap from 1650 - 1750 and as per usual this gap is probably where the answer to my queries are, so I will keep looking.  Thankyou  Anna   ???
Wigmore, Berkshire - England
Leach, Berkshire - England
Brittle, Gibbard, Harding - England/N.S.W. Australia
Fullarton, Dalby, Mollison- Australia/Jamaica