Author Topic: Surname: Doyle  (Read 4572 times)

Offline cdforrester

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Surname: Doyle
« on: Thursday 21 June 12 03:06 BST (UK) »
I'm sorry if this is not the correct place to post this, please correct me if there is a better place to put this. :)

I am a beginner & looking for information on my 3rd Great Grandfather & his family.  The information I do have is as follows:
His name is James H. Doyle b.July 29, 1830 in Wigtownshire to John & Elizabeth (maiden name ?) Doyle both also of Scotland (both are buried in Canada).
Story has it that he & a brother, William,  changed the spelling of Doyle to Doile in the USA. 
William possibly was born in Canada.  I'm not sure of any other siblings.
James married Charlotte Sharpe of Yorkshire, England (b. November 18, 1832) in 1857 in Illinois, USA.  They had 8 children.

Can anyone help me with what to do now?

I honestly don't know where to start looking since I don't know a county.

THANK YOU in advance for any help you can provide!
Scotland, Ireland, England, Germany; Graham, MacCready, Powers, Stevens, Robinson, Blenkarn, Ardley, Doyle/Doile, Sharpe, Lyon

Offline RobinDoyleBremner

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Surname: Doyle
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 February 16 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have just found this site and have a bit of information on your James Doyle (Doile).  He had a brother, William born in 1836 in Wigtownshire, Scotland and they with their parents (John and Elizabeth) went to Ontario Canada in around 1837 to 1840.  James then went to Illinois in 1857 and on to Kansas the same year.  His younger brother, William followed some time later.  By that time William had a child named William born 1863 in Ontario Canada who then had a child also named William born 1904 in Kansas.  This last William is my Grand father Doyle.  I am trying to find out more information on John and Elizabeth Doyle of Wigtownshire Scotland.  I have read that they too were born in Scotland, but cannot find any info. The family oral history believes that they are actually from Ireland but cannot prove it.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.