Author Topic: Wille Jones, Park Lane Dolgelly War Memorial  (Read 5212 times)

Offline Jones123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wille Jones, Park Lane Dolgelly War Memorial
« on: Friday 22 June 12 11:07 BST (UK) »
Hello, on the War Memorial in Dolgelly is the name Willie Jones, Park Lane.  From my research this is my Great Uncle. 

I think he lived at 3 Park Lane, son of Mary Ellen Jones (nee Williams) who married David Henry Jones. But when looking for more information someone has posted that he lived at 12 Park Lane, son of Richard and Susanah Jones.

Can anyone help me with this please?

Linda Jones.
Jones - Llanycil, Trawsfyndd, Bala, Dolgelly, Bristol
Williams - Dolgelly
Rowlands - Dolgelly

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wille Jones, Park Lane Dolgelly War Memorial
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 June 12 15:46 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Was he born c 1888 or c 1898? The two families appear to be living next door to each other in 1911, do you know his siblings names?
From information about the  memorial
Willie Jones
Park Lane 144765 No 38 company Machine Gun Corps (infantry)
19 th Sep 1918
Born Bala
Medal card
William Jones
61018/144765
He appears to have been in both RWF and then the Machine Gun Corps.

Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline Jones123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 June 12 15:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Cathy

Thanks for your response. 

Yes I have those details of his service and according to my research he was born in 1898 and named Willie Williams (his mother's name).  His mother Mary Ellen Williams then married my Great Grandfather in 1899 and it seems his name was then give as Willie Jones.  His first sibling David John was born in 1900, then Robert Cad (1903), Humphrey Lloyd (1905) and Catherine Martha (1909).

Linda Jones.
Williams - Dolgelly
Rowlands - Dolgelly

Offline chwiliwr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 April 14 21:35 BST (UK) »
Hello
I appreciate that this post has been inactive for some time but I have only recently come across it in researching the names on the memorial in Dolgellau for a forthcoming book about the 107 people listed on it.

Willie Jones Park Lane was the son of Richard and Susannah Jones and died at home on 15 November 1919. He served with 7th Bn RWF. He is buried in the extension to Dolgellau Church cemetery (known locally as Dafydd Ionawr's cemetery) He had been born in 1888 and was one of five brothers in the army. His sister Mary Elizabeth Smith is the only woman on the WW1 memorial having died in hospital in Wrexham in August 1918. She is in the same cemetery.
He had a number of other siblings: Richard b.1875, Dorothy b.1877, John b.1882, Sarah Jane b.1884, Robert b.1885, Edward Thomas b.1887, David James b.1890.

Willie H Jones Rhydwenfa is also on the memorial. William Hugh Jones was the son of Hugh and Lizzie Jones and had been born in Liverpool c.1894 and also died at home on 22 April 1920 and is buried in the public cemetery in Dolgellau. He had also served with 7th Bn RWF. His siblings were: John b.1891, May b.1892, Walter b.1900 and Bessy b.1902.

Another possibility for your ancestor is W Ellis Jones Tanygoeden who might have been a William but unfortunately he is one of the only two named on the memorial I have not been able to identify yet.

I don't know whether this information has thrown a spanner in the works for you but I have further biographical details for the first two which I will gladly pass on if you send a personal message.
Chwiliwr

Offline Jones123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 April 14 13:38 BST (UK) »
Hello - many thanks for your reply, I have sent you a PM with the details I have.

But, if my research is incorrect, I would like to check W Ellis Jones as being the mysterious Great Uncle whose name is on the War Memorial in Dolgellau.  Do you know if 'Tanygoeden' is a place name, a house name, or part of the surname?

Many thanks

Linda Jones
Williams - Dolgelly
Rowlands - Dolgelly

Offline chwiliwr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 April 14 18:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda
I am attaching a photo of Park Lane, taken I believe in 1960's not long before demolition. Sorry about the quality.
I have a lot of information on Alice and her family which I will put together for you in a PM. May be tomorrow or Tuesday. If you are descended from her then we are distantly related.

Best wishes,
Chwiliwr

Offline Jones123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 April 14 19:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Chwiliwr

Many thanks for your reply and for the photo.  I am more certain now that Alice is my Great GM and I would love to find out more about the family.  I have the details from the 1901 and 1911 census and that my grandfather was born in the Union Workhouse, but at present that is it.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards
Linda
Williams - Dolgelly
Rowlands - Dolgelly

Offline Emrys Tippett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 September 15 16:38 BST (UK) »
The Willie Jones on the War Memorial in Dolgellau is my Great Uncle. Mary Elizabeth Smith, his sister is my Grandmother. Her daughter Ivy, was my mother. The only one of their siblings I remember is their brother David James Jones who was my Uncle Jim.

Offline Jones123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 11:25 BST (UK) »
Hello Emrys

Thank you for your response.  When I last posted I was almost certain that Willie Jones, shown on the War Memorial in Dolgellau, was my Great Uncle.  But as thingas have progressed with contact from others, as well as you, I think I may have got it wrong.

The only way I have of tracing my ancestry in North Wales, is that my Grandfather, David Jones was born in Dolgellau and he told me that his late brother's name was on the War Memorial there.  I have been trying for 5 years to research my 'Jones' tree, but I think it is proving to be far  too hard.

Thanks for taking the time to contact me

Linda Jones.
Williams - Dolgelly
Rowlands - Dolgelly