Author Topic: Tweedie & Tweedy  (Read 4102 times)

Offline Stephen J F Plowman

• RootsChat Member
  • Still looking
    • View Profile
Tweedie & Tweedy
« on: Friday 22 June 12 15:04 BST (UK) »
In 1902 Michael Forbes Tweedie published his book The History of the Tweedie, or Tweedy, family; a record of Scottish lowland life & character”.  (I am fortunate to have inherited two copies ) In addition to the history of the Lowland family it included various pedigrees of the Tweedie/Tweedy name.  Some were cadet branches of the “chiefly” line and others with no proven link.  One of my on/off projects is to update the various pedigrees as far as possible from a variety of sources.  The results so far can be seen at www.tweedy.org.uk

It is generally accepted that the family Tweedie of Drummelzier is/was the senior line with a number of cadet families. The status of which is summarized below:

1 Tweedie of Drummelzier (1325) – line “lost”around the 1660s.

1.1 Tweedie of Oliver (1489) – expired in the male line 1837.

1.1.1 Tweedie of Quarter (1692) - still extant but senior male heir not clear. The male representation of Tweedie of Oliver was passed over in 1837.

1.1.1.1 Tweedie of Rawlinson (1826) - still extant but senior male heir not clear.

1.1.2 Tweedie-Stodart of Oliver (1837) – George Stodart inherited the Oliver estate from his uncle. Expired in the male line.

I would be most interest to hear if anyone here links into any of the above families or any of the pedigrees listed in the book. Somewhere out there is someone who is the Chief of the Name and Arms of Tweedie.
Plowman - Dorset
Gollop - Dorset
Taunton - Dorset
Carver - Norfolk
Oyns - all
Tweedy - all
Also British Heraldry (www.heraldry-online.org.uk)

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tweedie & Tweedy
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 June 12 16:38 BST (UK) »
On the very off-chance - there were Tweedy bankers in Cornwall and I have a link to William Mansel Tweedy 1796-1859 on the extremity of one of the outermost branches of my family tree - any connection?
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

• RootsChat Member
  • Still looking
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 June 12 17:27 BST (UK) »
The Cornwall Tweedy family details are here:

http://genealogy.site50.net/tweedy-cornwall.html

Unfortunately there is no link identified between Scotland or the Tweedy of Essex family.
Plowman - Dorset
Gollop - Dorset
Taunton - Dorset
Carver - Norfolk
Oyns - all
Tweedy - all

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 June 12 17:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this weblink, most helpful (even if the family link doesn't exist)

Graham
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 June 12 20:43 BST (UK) »
Ooh I would like to think I was that lost cheif Stephen ;D,mine so far however are farmers back in 1670's Lanarkshire. :'(
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

• RootsChat Member
  • Still looking
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 09:27 BST (UK) »
The Cornwall Tweedy family details are here:

http://genealogy.site50.net/tweedy-cornwall.html

Unfortunately there is no link identified between Scotland or the Tweedy of Essex family.

Updated URL:

http://www.heraldry-online.org.uk/genealogy-online/tweedy-cornwall.html
Plowman - Dorset
Gollop - Dorset
Taunton - Dorset
Carver - Norfolk
Oyns - all
Tweedy - all