Author Topic: 1821 Census  (Read 1911 times)

Offline valspall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1821 Census
« on: Saturday 23 June 12 10:34 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I am sure I am not alone when I say that when I first started to get interested in genealogy many years ago, I was not especially diligent about recording sources. I am now going back to some of this early "stuff" and verifying the information I have in my notes. The problem is that I have written down some details from an 1821 Census and have no idea where this information came from (I think it was passed on to me from another researcher). Was there indeed such a census? The family in  question is that of my G-G-G-grandparents George MANSELL (1791-1846), his wife Mary LEES (b abt 1787), dtr Elizabeth (1814), son William (my ancestor born 1815) and son George (1817) living at house no.6, New Town Wellington, Shropshire.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Val

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
    • http://katesblackcountryfamily.tribalpages.com
Re: 1821 Census
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 June 12 10:59 BST (UK) »
I have a feeling that I read quite recently that the 1821 census returns for Shopshire do exist (can't remember the details, but think it's just part of them).

You could always email the archives to see if they do hold them: www.shropshire.gov.uk/archives.nsf/open/9125832444E8E79A802578D400473213
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
    • angloswiss.net
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 June 12 11:13 BST (UK) »
The 1821 census for Wellington has survived, and shows all members of households - it was more complete than most other early censuses.

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mr Gwynne Chadwick

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
    • RAF Bridgnorth
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 June 12 13:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Val,

Some Wellington (and what is now called Telford) records were available on four cd's many years ago.
The following are listed amongst many other MANSELL's on the 1821 Wellington census.
It's important to note that the program does NOT put individuals into family groups.

George MANSELL, age 29, Labourer in Trade of New Town.
Mary MANSELL, age 34, New Town.
Elizabeth MANSELL, age 7, New Town.
William MANSELL, age 6, New Town.
George MANSELL, age 3, New Town.

The same program shows these Baptism's at All Saints Church, Wellington.

30 April 1815. William MANSELL, son of George & Mary. Labourer of New Town.
6 July 1817. George MANSELL, son of ditto above.
23 Sept 1821. Mary MANSELL, dau of ditto above.

Hope it helps,
Gwynne
http://www.rafbridgnorth.org.uk

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk