Author Topic: Jane Olochland or Olachlin  (Read 1960 times)

Offline Cardano

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jane Olochland or Olachlin
« on: Saturday 23 June 12 23:31 BST (UK) »
I have recently run across information that indicates that Jane Olochland (Olachlin) is likely my GGG grandmother.

From pre 1855 Births and Baptisms, I find a record of a christening 11 Sep 1825 in Aberdeen for John Poynt, son of John Poynt and Jane Olochland.

From pre 1855 Births and Baptisms, I find a record of a christening 12 Mar 1827 for Maria Point, daughter of John Point and Jane Olachlin. Maria Point and John Point are my GG grandparents.

Has anyone heard of the surnames given for John Point's apparent wife, Jane? Is either of the two spellings I've found likely to be more accurate than the other, or are they both possible wrong?

I can't find any other records of Jane Olochland (Olachlin), birth or marriage to John Point (Poynt).

I'd be grateful for any clues to turn up more information on Jane O.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Olochland or Olachlin
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 June 12 23:39 BST (UK) »
Same spelling on the IGI

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XY6R-3YD

It is a strange surname and my first thought was a mis-transcription of McLachlin etc but perhaps not

I wonder if John jnr or Maria's marriage or death certs will confirm the spelling
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 June 12 23:49 BST (UK) »
Maria was still single in 1851 and in lodgings in Aberdeen
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Cardano

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 June 12 01:15 BST (UK) »
I entered the two variant spellings into Google and came up with the following:

Olachlin:

http://www.ancestry.com/name-origin?surname=olachlin

Olochland:

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?gl=CEN_1890&rank=0&gsln=Lochland&gss=angs-d

It looks to me from the above that Olachlin is closer to the right version. It seems that only Lochland is a likely surname, as opposed to Olochland. In any case, the name seems likely to be Irish in origin.

At least Olachlin appears to be an established surname on some level to have the entry which Ancestry provides for it.

Offline Cardano

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 June 12 07:49 BST (UK) »
I typed in Jane Olachlin in the advanced search box in the pre 1855 marriages & banns at Scotlands People and the record of the marriage between Maria Point and James Buyers in 1852 still comes up. This means that Jane Olachlin is indeed Maria's mother, and that there are now two instances of that spelling of the name.

Now, I will continue to look for records of Jane Olachlin's birth marriage and death.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 June 12 23:18 BST (UK) »
Hi

The spelling may be O'Lachlin or O'Lachlan if there is an Irish connection

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 June 12 00:20 BST (UK) »
Good point!
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Cardano

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 June 12 05:49 BST (UK) »
Thinking about the possible Irish connection, and finding no trace of any other Scottish records of an Olachlin family, I considered the possibility that Jane Olachlin had moved alone to Scotland from Ireland not too long before getting married, consistent with no evidence of any of her family in Scotland.

I took a look at rootsireland.ie.

Searching for birth and baptism records of Jane Olachlin and alternative forms between 1793 and 1807, I got ten hits, none of them having the actual name, and none with names beginning with "O".

The names which turned up were McLaghlin, McLaughlin (3), Loughlin (2), Loughlane, MacLoughlin, Laughlin and MacLoghlin.

This is rather discouraging. However, it does indicate that the search algorithm on the Irish site considers the Irish prefix "O" to be equivalent to "Mc" and "Mac". I've long known that these have equivalent meanings, "the son of," or something like that. What I didn't know was that they were interchangeable in the sense one could morph into the other.