Author Topic: where exactly is Caellwyngrydd N  (Read 7067 times)

Offline Washy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
where exactly is Caellwyngrydd N
« on: Sunday 24 June 12 01:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone
Can someone please tell me exactly where Caellwyngrydd N is, is it in Rachub ?
Know family from Rachub, have looked on old maps & it has Caellwyncrydd is this the same place?

Many thanks :)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: where exactly is Caellwyngrydd N
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 June 12 23:28 BST (UK) »
I can't vouch for the authenticity,but the following is one person's opinion that it was the old name for the current Rachub.

http://www.aditnow.co.uk/community/viewtopic.aspx?t=266

Regards
Roger

Offline Washy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 June 12 23:50 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Roger
Understand a bit better now. I thought it was a street in Rachub, which I guess it was really as says Rachub being one street originally.  :)

Offline caellwyngrydd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 July 12 19:12 BST (UK) »
Hi!
I hope that you wont mind my commenting of your question? i'm born & bread in caellwyngrydd. and not only that but i can trace my family back 7 generations in the same place.

Rachub, is the name of the setlement around what is now the village square, & dosen't come any higher than the site of Carmel Chapell, & Brittania Street. Caellwyngrydd, starts at the place now called Caergroes, & runs up to the mountain gate.

When ever I or a member of my family, or any one of the old families of the erea say we'r go down to the post office we still say, we'r off to Rachub.

But of course, with all of the building that has gone on the two places have become one.

One thing that might be of interest to you is. If you live in Rachub, you'r postal address is Rachub, But if you live in Caellwyngrydd, your postal address is LLanllechid.

on many old census returns you might find their addres as north 107 caellwyngrydd. This is before many of the street names were established. What is now called the high street, was the demarcation of ones address. if you lived on the north side you had numbers from 1 to a hundred & something (I can't remember the exact number of houses) and if you lived on the south side of the street the numbers again ran from 1 to what ever the highest number was!

Could be very confusing! Any way when looking at the deeds to my home, (as I've said i'm the 7th generation to live in the same house, The house being the 2nd oldest in Caellwyngrydd) there are 4 different addresses, to the same house!

But to cut to the chace. Rachub & Caellwyngrydd are considered to be seperate places (you could say adjoining)

You would never hear someone from my parents generation or older, who lived in caellwyngrydd, say that they lived in Rachub. Rachub being considered rather a common place.

I hope that I've been of some help (& I hope i haven't confused you more!)

Offline Washy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 July 12 12:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Caellwyngrydd
No I don't mind you commenting in fact who better than someone who's family have lived in the same house for seven generations, how amazing.
My mums family are all from Caellwyngrydd & not Rachub which I now know thanks to you. :)

My gt gt grandparents Jeremiah & Catherine Williams married in Llanllechid, St Llechid 1842 & were living in Caellwyngrydd on the 1851 census onwards until they died, Jeremiah 1884 & Catherine 1887.
They were living at 60 Caellwyngrydd N on the 1881 census & his son & family including my grandfather were at no 74.
My grandmother & family were also living in Caellwyngrydd N no number but know a couple of doors away. Their name was Midgley her mum was born in Llandygai & father Rochdale, not many Midgleys in Wales :)
My grandfather left his family & came to a mining village in Lancashire looking for work during the quarry strike early 1900's. He later brought all the family there including the Midgley's but a lot of the Williams remained. My elder sister remembers holidaying with family in Caellwyngrydd when she was a little girl.
I was wondering if you could anwser a question for me? Williams family Baptists, would you have an idea where they may have been buried?

Offline caellwyngrydd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 July 12 16:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply!
I'm sorry that my first epistle was rather long winded, I  don't think I was compleatly clear with things. So If you don't mind my going over the way the addresses used to work here?

As I said in my first answer, Caellwyngrydd originaly was split in to 2 parts, The dividing line was down the center of Caellwyngrydd Road. this is now called the high street. The street runs east to west, & so Caellwyngrydd had a North side & a South side. each with the house numbers runing from 1, to what ever the highest number of houses were on each side.

therefore, ther was a number 1 N (for North) Caellwyngrydd, & a number 1 S Caellwyngrydd for (South.) The only thing I can say is there were many more houses on the North side than on the South.

now as to your question of Burials. Most of the Families in Caellwyngrydd if non conformist, were buried in Coetmor sematary, this is a council owned burial site & all the records are held in Caernarfon. But I must also say that some people, were buried in the Church yard of St. Llechid Church. (regardless of denomination, if, that is there was a family grave already present in the church yard.)

Unfortunately this church has now been closed for many years. & is privatly owned. So the only thing I can sugest is that the records are either, at the diocesan office in Bangor, Or they could have been moved to the Archives in Caernarfon.

Unfortunately my Gt aunt Elizabeth, died last year at the age of 99. & she was as bright as a button regarding the families of the erea. (We miss her terribly!) not just as a loving person, but also as a walking source of information! (As a child she lived with her grand perents, in the house where I live now) & their last name was Williams. But, the name is a common one!

Of the 4 nonconformist chapels that this small place had. ( Capel Peniel; Calvanistic Methodist. Capel Salem; wesleyan Methodist. Capel Carmel; Congregational. & Bethel; Baptist.) Only 2 are still open, these are Carmel, & Bethel.

I suggest that you could get in toutch with Bethel Chapel secratary Mrs. Marian ...... ( I'm afraid I don't know her last name! When talking to her she always says her name is Marian & not Mrs. sutch & sutch ) regarding the records they would hold. I have her phone number, but I'm not too sure about listing it on an open site!

& I also have the contact information for the Minister who has the spiritual care of the chapel, but again I'm concerned about listing his address on this site.

My Father like his late Father & Aunt. ( my late gt aunt) is a Baptist, & is a member of Bethel Chapel, & that's how I have the contact information.

I hope that I've been of some use to you!
Don't hesitate to contact me for any more info!
C'grydd

Offline Washy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 July 12 21:52 BST (UK) »
Hi thankyou, you have been very helpful. As you say Williams a very common name, I was just lucky my grandfather put Evan Jeremiah Williams on my mums marriage cert & new the area he was from found him on the 1891 census. :)

Caellwyngrydd N
Wm Jeremiah Williams 46 1845
Jane Williams 42 1849 
Evan J Williams 21 1870 
John J Williams 14
Llewellyn D Williams 12
Jeremiah Williams 6
I remember seeing a photo of two elderly sisters outside a shop they had in the area, not sure what relation but I think my mum called them auntie, my grandad was 49 when mum was born. I will see if my sister has it & post, probably doesn't exist anymore but you may recognise.

Offline Washy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 31 July 12 19:36 BST (UK) »
My sister looked at what photo's she had, remembered the one of the elderly sisters but didn't have it. She did have one of our uncle Tom Williams as she called him but we think he was mum's cousin. He was a member of the welsh mountain rescue team would have been probable late 40's early 50's. She also remebered taking part in a carnival in Rachub when she was a child abt the same time period & all the Williams coming to visit & going to Haydock park race course :)

Offline YrElldee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 March 18 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know where Cae Chwarel St was? My Rowland Jones lived there in 1881 and I think it my be near Water St in the same census.
Dee