Author Topic: where exactly is Caellwyngrydd N  (Read 7032 times)

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: where exactly is Caellwyngrydd N
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 18 March 18 15:11 GMT (UK) »
If you turn on to the top of the High Street, Rachub from Mountain Road, go down the hill, pass Tan Y FFordd on your left then you will come to Cae Chwarel, the road below is Walter Street.

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 19 March 18 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello Washy; this wonderful programme (passed on on Rootschat) https://historicplacenames.rcahmw.gov.uk/placenames/map
will give you old and modern Rachub/Caellwyngrydd; the chevrons (like vvv armbands, top right ) will let you flick between old and new OS maps.

Offline Monte George

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 16 December 19 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

The information on Caellwyngrydd was extremely helpful.  Would there be a way to find out if my ancestors' house or houses still exist, understanding that the house numbers may have changed over time?  My 2nd great grandparents, Henry Williams and Catherine Griffiths, were married on 12 Feb 1867, and my great grandmother, Margaret Jane Williams was born about 1870.  On the 1871 census, they were living at 92 North Caellwyngrydd, and probably at 153 North Caellwyngrydd on the 1881 census (the house number is not given, but the adjacent houses were 152 and 154).  The family moved to Luzerne County, Northeastern Pennsylvania by the mid 1800, which was an unusual move, since this was an anthracite mining region, not a slate quarrying area.  I visited the area in 2017 and stopped by the post office in Rachub.  Only later did I learn that I was very near where my ancestors lived.  I may have a chance to attend meetings in Bangor next June and hope to visit Caellwyngrudd while I am there.

Monte George