Author Topic: Camfield/Campfield name  (Read 1677 times)

Offline granma602

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Camfield/Campfield name
« on: Sunday 24 June 12 07:29 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
Can anyone tell me if the Camfield/Campfield name is interchangeable?
I am trying to locate a birth of an Arthur Campfield (supposedly born Victoria, Australia abt.1889).  Marriage cert. states father as Robert Nicholas Campfield and can find a Robert Camfield born Portsmouth 1838. 
Have found Robert Campfield working in the navy in 1861 & 1871 census and then found him in Australia in 1879.  He died 1880 in Sydney, Australia and the information on death certificate seems to link up with that of the birth particulars from Portsmouth.
Any help would be appreciated.
granma602
LINCOLNSHIRE - Atkinson,Burton; DERBYSHIRE - Barlow,Fryar;
SUSSEX - Milham,Sealy,Sergent/Sargent;  WARWICKSHIRE- Steward,Stephens;
MIDLOTHIAN, SCOTLAND - Manson,Watson;  DURHAM, Manson

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Camfield/Campfield name
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 June 12 07:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

Since you have found a Robert Campfield in the 1861 and 1871 census, I am assuming one at least of these is while on a ship? If this is the case you could download Robert Camfield's service record (link below) and if his service ties in with the census I would be fairly certain it is one and the same man.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=6821509&queryType=1&resultcount=11

Martin

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 June 12 23:01 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat.  :)

I think the word 'interchangeable' might not be the right term to use.

At this date, spelling was not uniform, particularly where name were concerned.  Many people could not read or write and so were not able to check how the name had been recorded.  In the middle of a name like Cam(p)field, the 'p' could well have been silent and therefore easily missed.

Robert Nicholas Camfield was baptised on 17 June1838 at St Thomas Portsmouth, son of George & Ann.  Their other children were: Ann (1826), Eliza Sarah (1828), Mary Ann (1830), Hannah (1834),  George (1832), Elizabeth (1836), Jane (1841).

George Camfield married Ann Kerry or Kerray on 14 August 1825 at St Mary Portsea.

Hope that helps.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline granma602

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 June 12 07:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for you help.  Will follow the national archives link - did not think of that and would not have known where to look.  Both census' are on navy ships.
I also was thinking about the spelling thing as well.  Thanks for the input, great help.
Cheers,
granma602
LINCOLNSHIRE - Atkinson,Burton; DERBYSHIRE - Barlow,Fryar;
SUSSEX - Milham,Sealy,Sergent/Sargent;  WARWICKSHIRE- Steward,Stephens;
MIDLOTHIAN, SCOTLAND - Manson,Watson;  DURHAM, Manson

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 June 12 22:13 BST (UK) »
Oops, forgot to say that some of the children were recorded as Camfield, others as Campfield.  The marriage was 'Camfield.'

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk