Author Topic: Andrew Foote 1816 Paisley  (Read 5152 times)

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Andrew Foote 1816 Paisley
« on: Sunday 24 June 12 19:04 BST (UK) »
Trying to locate a Andrew Foote born abt 1816 Paisley.  The birth information was taken from his attestation papers when he joined the 8th Regiment of Foot in Glasgow on the 17th November 1834 (his age given as 17 years 11 Months).

Have searched the SP site and there is no OPR record.  There is a Andrew Foote born 1816 but on linking with the LDS site this Andrew Foote was born Aberdeen.

Andrew is not on any census having been with his regiment overseas 1838 to 1843, then England 1843 to 1846 and dying in India in 1847.

Would welcome ny information on the Foote family Paisley from around the early 1800's.

Regards

Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Foote 1816 Paisley
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 June 12 21:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Ray

Did Andrew marry and go on to have children? Wondered whether you might get some clues from children's names (regarding possible names for his parents).

The only birth I can see in Paisley is for a Robert Benjamin Foote, b. 17 Jan and chr. 10 Feb 1811   in Middle Church Paisley. Parents show as John and Jane (Dougald). This couple's marriage/banns show on 7 Oct. 1810 in Paisley.

This Robert left Scotland and went on to make his life in New Zealand by the early 1850s.

There is a note on a family tree that he joined the army and was convicted for desertion around the 1830s.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 June 12 21:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica

Andrew married a Ursula Nugent around 1838.  Ursula was from Armagh Ireland and their first child Margaret was born in Armagh in 1838 so I assume the marriage was in Ireland.  They went on to have 3 more children:

Andrew 1844 Manchester
          John     1845 Weedon Northants
          William  Aug 1847 Manchester

Andrew Foote would have left for India around August 1846 so I think William may not have been his child but he was registered and christened with Andrew as his father.

The childrens birthplaces follow the movement of the regiment.

Is there any mention of the regiment Robert Benjamin joined? I will pencil John & Jane on my online tree and see if it throws up any links.

Ray

Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline jaysbe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 July 12 08:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Ray,
  Robert Benjamin Foote joined the 42nd Regiment of Foot in Jan 1830, by 1 July 1834 he was of to Sydney on a convict ship. It would appear he was not at all happy about being a soldier and was possibly forced to join up by his father.
   Robert according to family folklore had siblings but so far have not found any trace of any, but it would be rather strange to be an only child back then unless his mother died in childbirth. Your Andrew is maybe a brother of Roberts, bit of a long shot but still possible.
   Roberts description when he joined, 5ft 8ins, fair complexion, fair hair, grey/blue eyes, sounds a lot like Andrew. Born in 1811 Robert would have been 6 years older than Andrew.
    Let me know if I can be of any more help.
              Jo

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 July 12 09:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo

Welcome to rootschat and thank you for a very interesting post.  As you say Robert does look very like Andrew and I have a fairly good feeling about this link.  The area's of confirmation about Andrew's parents are from his army papers or from his marriage both of which have alluded me so far.

Andrew had a son John, and his son Andrew did have a child (USA 1876) that he called Albert BUDWIN Foote - have wondered about the name Budwin, am I pushing it to link Budwin with Benjamin? -perhaps so?

Glad to be your first post and I hope you have as much success with rootschat as I have had over the years.  Is the Foote family within your line?

Ray

Offline jaysbe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 July 12 02:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Ray,
  Roberts parents are not confirmed as being John ane Jane, but dates and birth place fit. No parents names on army records or death, marriage cert. Fathers occupation is farmer on Roberts death cert. and family legend is that Roberts father was a cattle farmer. Also Roberts trade was tailor/weaver on army records.
  The traditional naming pattern does not seem to have been used for Roberts children, most of the names are from his wife's family with the exception of Andrew, Albert, Robert Benjamin and David.
  Roberts second name Benjamin was not used in his army records which seems a bit strange, it seems to appear when comes to New Zealand so maybe he just liked the sound of it and added it in there or maybe the name meant something to him???
  In answer to your question Robert is my x3 great grandfather and his past has certainly keeping a few people busy with research and the odd headache! Also like you I have a feeling about a link between Robert and Andrew even if they are not brothers I am sure they are related in some way.
    Another interesting and annoying thing I have come across in researching Scottish ancestors is how many children the parents never bothered to get christened! Only found out they existed because they turned up in cencus records. So heres hoping we have some luck with these two yet.
    Jo

Offline Jufoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 March 15 08:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ray,

I have just been reading your old Rootschat messages re this chap. I am interested in seeing the military papers for this Andrew, which I believe you have a copy of. I am descended from Robert Foot of Paisley b. 1811 and trying to establish whether your Andrew is his brother. As time has past since you have been searching for official records for Andrew, have you since found a baptism record in Paisley in 1816 for him. It would seem strange in that era for John & Jane Foot to have only had one child.

Julia

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 March 15 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julia

Welcome to rootschat.  Sorry for delay in replying.  Unfortunately I don't have the military papers for Andrew.  What I do have is information provided to me by a chap who is undertaking a history of the 8th regiment.  What he provided me is:

Regiment: 8th Regiment of Foot (aka the Kings)
Regimental number: 1078
Name: Andrew FOOT
Attested: 17 November 1834 in Glasgow
Born: Paisley, Renfrew
Trade: Labourer
Height: 5 ft 7 inches
Complexion: Fair
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Fair
Died: 7 January 1847

He says "I have a copy of the muster for when he was recruited and it says that he enlisted on 15 November 1834 and that he joined the Depot in Sunderland on 12 December 1834, and was paid a bounty of £2 10s. His pay as a Private was 1s 1d a day."

"At some stage he would have been sent to the service companies in Jamaica.
(The regiment was overseas in 1838. They had a Depot in Ireland until August 1838 when it moved to Guernsey.Ken)

They moved to Halifax, Nova Scotia in May 1839; and arrived in Cork in December 1841. From the ‘Historical Records’: they landed in Liverpool 8th – 11th April 1843 in two groups; then Lancashire, Weedon and Portsmouth until 25th – 30th April 1846 when they embarked for India in five groups. They arrived in Bombay 1st to 29th August 1846; and they would have been in Poona – 7 days march from Bombay - when he died".

I have been through the same process has yourself over the years with no success.  I am always hoping that some new information may become available at some stage, hopefully a marriage for Andrew & Ursula which may name his father.

Will also try to re-establish connection with the chap who passed me the military information to see if he has anything new.  Having difficulty at present though as I my broadband has gone missing!!! hope to be re-connected soon - or so my provider says!!!

Ray

Offline jfooteveal

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 December 23 05:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ray! I’m new here & was reading the posts-very interesting! Albert Budwin Foote/Clara (Patterson) Foote were my great grandparents. You are correct, his middle name was Budwin, not Benjamin. Darwin (incorrectly listed as Darius) was the youngest child & my grandfather. Are you a relative?
Jodi