Author Topic: James Nelson..Shankill Belfast Ireland.  (Read 9568 times)

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Nelson..Shankill Belfast Ireland.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 24 June 12 23:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks Aghadowey..great site...plenty to search there. :)

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: BELFAST & ANTRIM DIRECTORIES
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 June 12 03:13 BST (UK) »
Aghadowey...
That site you gave me..Lennon Wylie.....I found a James Nelson..in 1843..( my James born 1840-1) 21 Union Street..Belfast..and a Roger Nelson..Publican 23 Union Street...As my James , on his marriage certificate..stated his father was a Publican... I feel this connection of James and Roger could be brothers.. also found a George Nelson..Publican..108 Great George St..Belfast..not sure of exact date there, but my James named his first son George...funny that..anyway..as I have no proof of all this, and not likely to, other than this..what do you suggest?  I also found a Rev Isaac Nelson in the 1843 directory..maybe related..he was a Presbyterian minister.. (protestant)  will have to check on what denomination my James was..will contact the cemetery in Adelaide SA..Maybe they will know on their records... ::) :)

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 June 12 04:09 BST (UK) »
Neilson..is this a pre-runner to the name Nelson..and is Neill a pre-runner to Neilson..as in son of Neill...I see on the Lennons Directory, listed Nelsons by date, goes back to 1805..known as Neilson..no Nelsons..and there is a Neilson William..Watchmaker..210 North St..and a Robert Neill..Watchmaker..1 High St.. Interesting... could they be father and son.... ::) :)
Just a matter of interest..I had hand surgery a couple of years ago, thing called Dupertrons (spelling) Restricture..and my Plastic surgeon said it comes from the Scandanavion decent..never knew that..now I wonder...

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 25 June 12 08:57 BST (UK) »
You say you have split my thread into two..., can you explain please...where the 2nd one is..bit confused sorry.. ??? :) end of the day..nice girl..not too bright...

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 25 June 12 09:56 BST (UK) »
For some reason you posted a reply on Resources board- I split that post from the topic and put it on this topic where it belongs - see reply #10.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 09:25 BST (UK) »
Don't know what happened there..maybe sleep depriviation.had the grandogs the weekend...going home tonight..hoo-rah.
Ive had a good look at the Lennon Wylie site......Interesting enough, they start being Nelsons, as spelt, from 1819 on  ... 1805. to 1808..there were Neilsons..and Neill , as in son of Neill... no Nelsons... same occupation etc..living in the same area....can  Nelson be be a derivative of Neilson..Neill......Interesting to know your thoughts on that....
Also...My GGrandad, joined the "Buffs" in 1858..in Canterbury..England.  have to look and see if the family moved from Belfast to England around that time, maybe 1850 +..just a thought.. my problem...not yours..ha.. ;D

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 00:45 BST (UK) »
Any chance of getting a site for passenger lists from Ireland to England around 1857-8 thanks. :)

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 07:31 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    In those days Ireland was part of the UK so there are no passenger lists. It was just normal travel within the country.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 28 June 12 09:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for that...will try and find something somewhere. Having a few problems with my computer at present ,so please bear with me till I get it sorted... ::)