Author Topic: Moir / Banchory Ternan 1638 to 1864  (Read 15636 times)

Offline dundee lass

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Moir / Banchory Ternan 1638 to 1864
« on: Monday 25 June 12 22:05 BST (UK) »
I have researched my family tree and have found my Moir family back to Alexander Moir who married Margaret Coutes in 1652.
My great grandmother was Francis Moir (born 1864 banchory ternan) who was the daughter of Duncan William Davidson Moir and Elizabeth Craven
I have traced all my Moir family through scotlands people site.
Almost all of my Moir family were born in Banchory Ternan and I would like to visit and my ancestors graves if I can find them.
Can anyone give me information as to where they might be buried in Banchory Ternan ?

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Moir / Banchory Ternan 1638 to 1864
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 June 12 22:38 BST (UK) »
The Aberdeen and North East Scotland Family History Society has a booklet of the monumental inscriptions from Banchory Ternan with a plan of the graveyard. If you go to their website, you can search an index to see if any Moirs come up.

Graham

Offline dundee lass

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 11:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Graham,
I had a look on the site but none of the Moirs matched up with my family.
Thank you very much for the information, it is appreciated.... regards dundee lass

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 17:11 BST (UK) »
Although they have no (surviving) gravestones, they may well be buried there. The council might be able to tell you where, if you can give the date of death. All depends how far back their burial records go for Banchory. Do you have any newspaper funeral notices for more recent ancestors? That might tell you if they are at Banchory or not. Possibly the ANESFHS booklet only includes the gravestones in the older section of the cemetery. I have seen it, but can't remember if it's all covered.

Graham

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 June 12 12:44 BST (UK) »
Hi, there: 

I cannot find where Duncan is buried (through ANESFHS) but by putting in Elizabeth Moir I did come up with 14 different cemeteries where an Eliz. Moir is buried, none of them Banchory-Ternan - and I don't think that 'my' Elizabeth was one of them.  However, because I am descended from the Cravens (Elizabeth Craven Moir was my great-great aunt!!), I do seem to recall that when I visited B-T (now plain Banchory) earlier this year there was a Moir grave. 

Elizabeth's brother, George, worked for the Davidson family for most of his life and it is possible that she met Duncan, whose father would also have worked for them (hence the name) through her brother.  You can find information on this branch of your/my family in my Craven tree on Ancestry.co.uk

Hope this helps!
lydiaann
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline dundee lass

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 July 12 15:46 BST (UK) »
Although they have no (surviving) gravestones, they may well be buried there. The council might be able to tell you where, if you can give the date of death. All depends how far back their burial records go for Banchory. Do you have any newspaper funeral notices for more recent ancestors? That might tell you if they are at Banchory or not. Possibly the ANESFHS booklet only includes the gravestones in the older section of the cemetery. I have seen it, but can't remember if it's all covered.

Graham
Hello, I do have the birth, marriages and death dates of most of my moir family. I researched them all through scotlands people site. Thank you for your advice ,I will contact the council and ask if they have any records of burials of my Moir family members, many thanks Dundee lass

Offline dundee lass

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 July 12 17:34 BST (UK) »
Hi, there: 

I cannot find where Duncan is buried (through ANESFHS) but by putting in Elizabeth Moir I did come up with 14 different cemeteries where an Eliz. Moir is buried, none of them Banchory-Ternan - and I don't think that 'my' Elizabeth was one of them.  However, because I am descended from the Cravens (Elizabeth Craven Moir was my great-great aunt!!), I do seem to recall that when I visited B-T (now plain Banchory) earlier this year there was a Moir grave. 

Elizabeth's brother, George, worked for the Davidson family for most of his life and it is possible that she met Duncan, whose father would also have worked for them (hence the name) through her brother.  You can find information on this branch of your/my family in my Craven tree on Ancestry.co.uk

Hope this helps!
lydiaann
Hello, thank you for the information. I am going to try contacting the council and see if they will do a search for Elizabeth and Duncan graves, (most councils do this for a fee) I know that Elizabeth's brother was George Craven (gamekeeper)who was married to Euphenia. I dont have an ancestry membership at the moment, so I cant access your tree for information, but thank you for your help, it is appreciated. If I find out where they are buried I will post it here on rootschat, regards Dundee Lass

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 July 12 18:57 BST (UK) »
Are you sure that the rest of the family was born in Banchory Ternan. "Duncan Craven", Elizabeth's son was listed as born in Dundee, as was Elizabeth Moir, Euphemia Moir and Margaret Moir. Frances Moir was the only one listed as born in Banchory Ternan. Elizabeth Craven died in Dundee in 1913. Trees on Ancestry have Duncan Moir born either in 1823 or 1843, depending which one you read. There are definitely 2 families with Duncan and Elizabeth as parents, but with different children. Strangely, Duncan Craven is listed as a Labourer in an Iron works, and one of the Duncan Moir's is listed in an Iron Foundary.

Regards

Malky

Offline dundee lass

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 04:22 BST (UK) »
Are you sure that the rest of the family was born in Banchory Ternan. "Duncan Craven", Elizabeth's son was listed as born in Dundee, as was Elizabeth Moir, Euphemia Moir and Margaret Moir. Frances Moir was the only one listed as born in Banchory Ternan. Elizabeth Craven died in Dundee in 1913. Trees on Ancestry have Duncan Moir born either in 1823 or 1843, depending which one you read. There are definitely 2 families with Duncan and Elizabeth as parents, but with different children. Strangely, Duncan Craven is listed as a Labourer in an Iron works, and one of the Duncan Moir's is listed in an Iron Foundary.

Regards

Malky
Hello, thank you very much for the information. Duncan Moir and Elizabeth Craven were from Banchory Ternan and their daughter Frances (my great grandmother) was also born there and then the family moved to Dundee.My gg grandfather Duncan William Davidson Moir was born in 1843 and is listed as a wood turner on his marriage certificate /1871 census has him down as an iron turner/ a wood turner on his wifes death certificate / a wood turner on his sons death certificate. I too noticed that there was 2 Duncan Moir's married to an Elizabeth in Dundee, but Duncan's middle names enabled me to get the correct one. I am interested to find out where members of my Moir family are buried in Banchory Ternan as I have followed my family line right back to 1636 and all were born in Banchory Ternan up to 1864.Many thanks Dundee Lass