Author Topic: Jesson Thomas Scale & Beam Manufacturer  (Read 1988 times)

Offline SueChris

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jesson Thomas Scale & Beam Manufacturer
« on: Tuesday 26 June 12 00:14 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thomas Jesson is in the 1834 Petttigrew & Oulton Directory as a Scale & Beam Manufacturer 36 Pill Lane. I haven't been able to find him with this occupation on any other listings I can access. Is anyone able to find out any other info about this Thomas or this address?. Any help would be appeciated. Is there any way to find out if this would also have been his residence? Thanks

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jesson Thomas Scale & Beam Manufacturer
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 12:46 BST (UK) »
Hi there

This 1801 Directory has a Daniel Crosbie as a scale maker at the same address ie. 36 Pill Lane

http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/dublin/directories/dublin-dir1801c.txt

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 12:54 BST (UK) »
This looks like a possible son of Thomas Jesson getting married - Thomas is listed as a scales maker !

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/862b950527119

Tara

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 13:08 BST (UK) »
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline hasta

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 14:40 BST (UK) »
Dublin City Voters Register - 30th October 1837 has:

Thomas Jesson, smith, 36 Pill Lane. Shop & Premises. Householder.

Offline SueChris

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 June 12 01:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for this info. I think I can eliminate this Thomas as this James was not one of the children I have.  The other Thomas Jesson that could be the one is in the Wilson's Directory 1801 14 Temple Street Dublin as a pawnbroker. Our Thomas is down on one of his son's marriage record as being a pawnbroker (although he is recorded as Richard Thomas Jesson).  Was a pawnbroker a respectable occupation? Thanks for any info or ideas.

Offline suevize

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 10:37 BST (UK) »
I hope this helps to clarify a little (though lots of holes in the records I have found, and you possibly already found this). I would very much like to sort out these families!

Thomas Jesson - a gold and silver smith and scale maker - Thomas Fox Jesson baptised 1779 Dublin son of James Jesson (gold and silver laceman of Dames Street) and Rachel Smith. Used both Thomas Jesson and Thomas Fox Jesson. Named after Thomas Fox (d ca 1784) gold and silver laceman of Parliament Street, former employer of James. This Thomas married Letitia Robinson in 1818. I have found 5 children including James. I believe this is the one that married Eliza Darling in the link you posted. The last record I have found for him is 1837.

Thomas Jesson - a pawnbroker - Thomas Richard Jesson born about 1780 son of Robert Jesson (probably the pawnbroker listed in 1790 newspaper ads). This Thomas married Maria Jane Clavel in 1809.

I don't know if the families are connected. The only link is the common use of the names James, Thomas and Richard. I cannot find parents for James or Robert. I can trace Thomas Fox Jesson and his family down but not further back than his parents. He had brothers Richard (joined the British Army), Horatio (also a silver smith) and James (an auctioneer).

Sue
Vize Matheson Lucy Renaghan McCabe Jesson Wadey Macdonald Sewell Barrien Ackroyd Cameron Page Warwick Stocker Irmler Nicol Petrie Aguilar Kilpatrick Norman Morison Walker Brannigan  O'Connor Mooney Barker Laurie Spencer Luff(e) Redman Bennett Ide Chapman Macaulay Stewart Hide/Hyde Taylor Petrie Reverdy