Author Topic: JELLY and CHALMERS families from Girvan Ayshire 1700s & 1800s  (Read 4459 times)

Offline woodviewpark

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
JELLY and CHALMERS families from Girvan Ayshire 1700s & 1800s
« on: Tuesday 26 June 12 05:37 BST (UK) »
I am trying to research further my ancestors, the Jelly family from Girvan - Sarah Jelly b 1795,parents Samuel Jelly and Sarah McKinlay or Skendrick
and the Chalmers family from Girvan, Ayrshire- Robert Chalmer b 1790 Girvan, his parents John Chalmers and Agnes Guthrie.
Sarah and Robert married in 1814 in Lanark. Both came from Girvan, but we are having trouble finding information about the family there, they would have been Weavers and Bootmakers, any help appreciated, Anne

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: JELLY and CHALMERS families from Girvan Ayshire 1700s & 1800s
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 16:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne

Just a few other siblings for Sarah, not sure if you have these:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYCG-P72
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XY8D-87S
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYCG-KLQ
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XY8D-4PF

Both have mother Sarah as Skenr(i/e)k and other variants. Where does the ref come in for her also being McKinlay?

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline woodviewpark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 06:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for this information , I have spent months trying to get it right, we had no idea of the rest of Sarah's siblings or Robert's either. You have made my day!  Sarah's correct name should be Jelly but with all the different spellings, no wonder we had difficulty! The name McKinlay is noted on Sarah Jelly (Chalmers) death certificate as the maiden name of her mother , so we are not sure how that fits in. I have not have much luck with it as the name Skendrick is noted on Sarah's birth notice! Any ideas gratefully noted. Again, thank you so much , we are visiting this area of Scotland in our travels later this year and I would love to be armed with as much information as possible before we go, last time I was still a the early researching stage. This is my mothers family in Scotland and she died without knowing anything of them. Mums mother was a Chalmers from Ayrshire. Anne

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 12:56 BST (UK) »
Anne, I would have some reservantions on the surname SKENDRICK and its variants (so far we have seen Skendrick, Skendrek, Scandridge, Schandrige) in respect of Sarah, wife of Samuel Jelly (and his surname variants too!).

The name Skendrick only seems to show in Scotland on the Old Parish Register entries (see also www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk) for the Jelly children for Samuel and Sarah.

Familysearch/LDS are combining the surname of Skendick with Mc/Kendrick. May also be worth considering that surname as a variant? Maybe the McKinlay then might make more sense if confused with McKendrick. Not sure really.

Monica

Offline cathy52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 November 12 00:47 GMT (UK) »
hi would your chalmers family be related to thomas and margaret chalmers from fauldribbon rd girvin. on the 1911 census showing thomas and margaret chalmers had susan kelly,william kelly,mary kelly being boarders with them. william was my grandfather his parents both died in 1909 and william,mar,susan seems to have been boarded out. dont know if thomas and margaret were related to the children. ???

Offline woodviewpark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 November 12 06:46 GMT (UK) »
I am not sure but possibly they are relatives of the family we are researching. I can look further into it and post anything I find. I wonder if the children boarding were relatives of Margaret?

Offline cathy52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 November 12 23:39 GMT (UK) »
that would be great if we are looking at the same chalmers family. thomas and margaret chalmers had two children robert was 20yrs old in the 1911 census and isabella was 17yrs old.  i cant find out if the chalmers were related to my grandad and his sisters. there parents were john kelly and sarah potts from banbridge co down ireland. would love to find out anything about the chalmers. thanks cathie  :)

Offline janchalm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 August 13 18:08 BST (UK) »
The research I've done for our Chalmers have David Chalmers born at Dalmellington in 1872 son of John Chalmers and Sarah m.s Weir, check out the Census and see if there are any relations.   If you look up Ordnance Survey Map Dalmellington shows Chalmerstown No's 4,5 and 7 apparently this just means a Seam in the Mine worked by many members of the same family.  All the Chalmers at that time seem to have been in the Mining Industry but all went on to do well for themselves