Author Topic: Newhouses, Cumberland  (Read 6882 times)

Offline alisonbcd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Newhouses, Cumberland
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 17 July 12 11:19 BST (UK) »
I have my grandparent's marriage certificate, Kathleen Featherstonhaugh from Sunnyside, near Lanchester in Durham and James Doran from Newhouses! James' father is recorded as John Doran (deceased). I calculated James' birth year as being 1887/1888 according to his age when he was married 1919. James was a farm worker at the time of his marriage. I found a James Doran with the same year of birth with a father John Doran on several census' born and living in Carlisle. Several members of my father's siblings who have all passed away except my father shared similar names to James' siblings, ie, John, Robert, James, etc. I have exchanged emails with a Doran in Carlisle who has confirmed they had an uncle Jim Doran who left Carlisle to work and raise a family in Monkton Village, Jarrow, which happens to match my grandfather.
Oddly enough the 'Newhouses' name is also associated with my grandmother, Kathleen's family, as they owned a farm named Newhouses Farm in Lanchester, Durham, which caused confusion in the beginning to. However, I don't know if my grandfather ever worked on the farm or not.

This is as much info as I have, other than listing the names, etc from the census'.

Any help or suggestions are very much appreciated.
Featherstonhaugh; Doran; Murray; Gray

Offline alisonbcd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Newhouses, Cumberland
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 17 July 12 11:23 BST (UK) »
I entered the incorrect year of birth for James Doran His year of birth was 1877/1878.
Featherstonhaugh; Doran; Murray; Gray