Author Topic: Brickwall - Richard Lewis, b approx 1842, Salop  (Read 3881 times)

Offline Deborah C

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brickwall - Richard Lewis, b approx 1842, Salop
« on: Tuesday 26 June 12 13:13 BST (UK) »
My G G Grandfather Richard Lewis is proving to be quite a challenge. Following him through the census, he states a different place of birth and age in each one!

In 1911 he is living in Jacksdale, Nottinghamshire aged 65 (born 1846) and states his birthplace as Perkins Beach, Salop
1901 - Living in Golden Valley (just up the road from Jacksdale), aged 59 (born 1842) birthplace given as Tredegor, Wales
1891 - Living in Golden Valley, aged 47 (born 1844) birthplace given as Snailbritch, Shrewsbury
1881 - Living in Golden Valley, aged 38 (born 1843) birthplace given as Northing, Salop

I have a copy of his marriage certificate to Ann Maria Gittins on the 20th March 1872, he is listed as Full age and his Father is John Lewis.  At the time of his Marriage he is living in Brereton, Staffordshire the birthplace of his wife,

I have checked previous census's for Richard living in the same household as John but cannot find an obvious match to the family. 

Can anyone help or suggest where to look next please?

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Brickwall - Richard Lewis, b approx 1842, Salop
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 14:32 BST (UK) »
Hi,

A warm welcome to Rootschat.

You will find him on the 1851 census living in Wales with father John, mother Elizabeth and siblings.

Search for a Richard Lewis born Worthin Shropshire aged 6 (1845) living in Upper Heath and Nether Heath, Montgomeryshire. 

The good news is the address is Perkins Beach  ;D

Mo
PS I think Worthin should be Worthen.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline Deborah C

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 14:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, I can't believe how quickly you found him, I've been looking for months.  I'm very happy now.  Thanks again.

Deborah

Offline bristolloggerheads

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 July 12 22:07 BST (UK) »
There are a few contenders for his birth in the Montgomery area (which included Worthen) on freebmd. I'd apply for his birth certificate giving his parents names - they'll search for the right one based on this information.

Peter
Syner alias Taylor from Broseley and Benthall

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • JACHs Jacksdale Area Culture & Heritage Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 July 12 21:28 BST (UK) »
Hello Deborah
I have just come across your post and would like you to know that I am in contact with descendants of the Jacksdale Lewis family. From the 1911 I see that Richard Lewis was living at Sedgwick Street, approx current day number 63 and next door is his son John Thomas Lewis and family at possible present day number 65.  John Thomas Lewis is named on the Jacksdale war memorial as having served in and survived WW1, also attaining a MM.  I have photos of JT Lewis and his wife Ada with the children sitting outside the window of their home. We have some memories recounted by a daughter of JT Lewis, she still lives in the Selston area. I don't know how much contact you have with the Jacksdale Lewis's so much of this may already be known to you.  I also attach a photo of Golden valley as it looked before the cottages there were modernised.
Our own site
www.jacksdale.org.uk is offline at the moment for re-design but should be back online in a few weeks
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
General Information relating to villages of JACKSDALE, PYE HILL & WESTWOOD Notts
Cheshire - TAYLOR, HEAPY, KNOWLES, HAMPSON, CLAYTON, STONIER, PRITCHARD, NADIN, GALLIMORE
Staffs - HEAPY
Devon - CLIFT, VITTERY, TRIST, MOLLOY, COBLEY, LEAR, GUILFOYLE, BICKFORD, EPPS, BEAZLEY, DARKE, LANG, QUANT, BLANKENSHIP
Devon & Cornwall - CLIFT, LARK
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY
Derbys/Notts- COCKAYNE, PHEASEY, KNOWLES

Offline Carly Bramwell

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Actress. Music Lover! Occasional film maker. Unicorn catcher! You told me we were white doves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 January 15 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deborah!

I'm a descendant from that line of the family. My Great Grandfather was John Thomas Lewis :)