Author Topic: Williams Family - Llanwnda/Llandwrog  (Read 9774 times)

Offline Jenfur

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Williams Family - Llanwnda/Llandwrog
« on: Tuesday 26 June 12 15:52 BST (UK) »
Hi all. I'm new to the forums so please go easy on me  ;D

I'm stuck in my family history research at my G-G Grandfather, Griffith Williams who was born around 1867 in Llanwnda. I've traced him in census records from 1891 - 1911 when he moved to Aberdare instead. Unfortunately I don't know Caernarvonshire myself at all and am not sure on how to go about working out any more information about him.

He married a Sarah, born around 1864 in Llandwrog, somewhere around 1885 and they would have been married in Caernarvonshire but not sure where exactly.

They had three children - Jane (b. October 1885 in Llandwrog), William (b. September 1888 in Llandwrog) and Sarah Ann (b. 1892 in Aberdare).

I'd rather not buy marriage certificates trying to work out which is the correct one I need and unfortunately the children's names are pretty common and don't really help narrow down which birth certificate would be the correct one to buy either.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how to find any more about this family and where I could find the correct records?

Thanks

Jen

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Williams Family - Llanwnda/Llandwrog
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 16:25 BST (UK) »
Hi and Welcome  :)

The North Wales BMD shows two possible marriages around that time:

1884 Llanddeiniolen (to the North of their birthplaces) - Griffith Williams and Sarah Jervis (local ref CAEC6/02/E274)
1885 Caernarfon (civil marriage) - Griffith E Williams and Sarah Jones (local ref CAE/26/E145)

http://www.northwalesbmd.org.uk/cgi/marrind.cgi

The GRO refs for these can be found on http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Hope this helps.

added - Find My Past has a full entry for the first listing  - http://www.findmypast.co.uk/
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 16:33 BST (UK) »
I've just checked the 1871 census and I don't think it's the Sarah Jervis - she was born Llanddeiniolen circa 1867.

PS - I'm not having much success with a suitable Sarah Jones at the moment either  :-\
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 16:46 BST (UK) »
The 1881 census does have a possible Sarah Ellen Jones, b. Llandwrog. Aged  16. Parents - Samuel and Jane, which would fit with her first daughter.

RG11/5564/50/16

It's a possible!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 16:53 BST (UK) »
1881 again

Griffith Williams, born Llanwnda. Aged 14. Parents Griffith and Mary in Llandwrog. A Writing Slate maker.

RG11/5563/97/8

Also

Griffith Williams, b. Llanwnda. Aged 13. Living with grandparents in Llandwrog. An Ag servant

RG11/5563/85/12

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 17:02 BST (UK) »
You might have to get hold of one of the children's birth certificates to be sure of Sarah's maiden name.  I've been searching baptisms for Jane Williams around that time and can't see any that fit. The family might well be non-conformist - which would suggest a civil marriage.

Offline big g

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 10:32 BST (UK) »
Brevitas,

The 1884 Caernarvon marriage, Griffith Williams to Sarah Jervis, is one of my lot....................his father was Robert Williams. Both Sarah and Griffith were born Llanddeiniolen.

Sarah Jervis was daughter of Thomas T.Jervis and Jane Williams - Jane was my gt.grandma's sister.

G.
Williams - Llanllyfni Llandwrog Llanrug Bedd Austr.
Jones - Beddgelert/Nantlle
Parry - Llanllyfni
Owen s - Beddgelert
Pierce - Llanrug
Jarvis/Jervis - Llanrug
Roberts - Llanddeiniolen
Griffith  - Beddgellert/LLanrug

"This information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Corrin - I.o.M./Bootle/K'dale/Seaforth
Stewart - Durham L'pool
Whitford -I o M L'pool
Atkinson - Bootle K'dale
Crookham - Formby Crosby L'pool

Lloyd Dickinson Burgess Threlfall Tarbuck - Lancs

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 11:21 BST (UK) »
Hi G  :)

I'd ruled them out as Jen's ancestors because  I'd noticed that the census birth place info didn't fit. The Sarah Jones/Griffith Williams marriage looks the most likely so far.

Offline Jenfur

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 13:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all your help guys.

I've ordered a birth certificate for Sarah Ann Williams, hoping it's the right one, hopefully that will confirm it is the marriage between Griffith Williams and Sarah Jones that I'm looking for.

I'll update you if the certificate helps or if I find anything else out.