Author Topic: Williams Family - Llanwnda/Llandwrog  (Read 9775 times)

Offline Jenfur

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Williams Family - Llanwnda/Llandwrog
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 17 July 12 20:20 BST (UK) »
Just an update - I have located the grave of Griffith & Sarah Williams so now know their dates of death but am still stuck on their births and marriage. Any ideas?

Offline Jenfur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 22 July 12 16:40 BST (UK) »
Does anyone here have personal knowledge of the Llanwnda and Llandwrog areas? I'm just wondering where baptism and burial records are kept for these areas, how many churches are local etc?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 22 July 12 17:54 BST (UK) »
You could try here for info - click on the relevant Parish:

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/CAE/parishes.html

This will give you a list of available records and where they are located.

Records are also now available on FindmyPast:

https://www.findmypast.co.uk

I have, however, looked through many of the available records. If married after 1837, they should appear on the GRO index (see FreeBMD) and the North Wales BMD index. Those that were most likely are given in my reply #1.

Are you sure that they married in Caernarvonshire?

Sarah could have given the wrong name on the birth cert - who was the informant? The only way to test this is to find the birth record of one of the other children.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Jenfur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 23 July 12 08:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Brevitas

Thanks for the info.

I know they should appear on the GRO index but I'm trying to go on the assumption that, for some reason, they did not marry. As you said previously, there is a Sarah Williams on the census which would tie in but no guarantee this is correct.

I would love to get a birth certificate for either of the other children but there are numerous possible ones to get as they are common names.

There's no guarantee they were married in Caernarvonshire, I'm just going with an educated guess. Griffith and Sarah were both from Llanwnda / Llandwrog and their first two children were born in Llandwrog, before the family moved to Aberdare. I can't imagine why they would have then been married elsewhere.

Offline Jenfur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 05 July 13 20:20 BST (UK) »
Almost a year later, I've found the baptism record for Jane Williams on Find My Past which lists her parents as Sarah and Griffith - Jones and Williams.

I've now bought a marriage certificate for Sarah Williams (the same one listed as living in Pant Emrys on the 1871 census that was mentioned before) and Griffith Jones. They were married in December 1885, a few months after their daughter Jane was born.

Has anyone had any experience of the husband taking his wife's name when they were married? It wasn't something I'd even considered as a possibility before.

Offline HuwGEdwards

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 18 March 18 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello.
I am curently researching the death of my Great Uncle Private Christopher Edwards (53894), who died in France on November 4th 1918. This year our family will be traveling to France to be with him 100 years to the day.
Christopher was killed stood alongside two other soldiers of the 15 th Battalion, 38th Division Welsh, they were James Cole (73016) of Liverpool, and William D. Williams (72952) of Llandwrog. William is marked as being 19 when he fell, which seems to tie with the William that you mention in your search.
The three comrades still lie together, and I can share more information if desired.
I'm hoping to reach out to both the Cole and Williams families, hence the enquiry.
Oddly, my family originate, and I live in Aberdare.
Yours
Huw

Offline Jenfur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 24 March 18 07:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Huw

Thanks for your message.

My Great Grandmother's brother was William Williams from Llandwrog but he was born in 1888 and definitely died in 1971 so not the same one, sorry.

CWGC shows that he was William David Williams, son of William John and Jane of 6 Gaugan Terrace, Groeslon, Carnarvonshire.

I hope that helps.

Offline HuwGEdwards

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 27 March 18 21:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jenfur.
It is odd as the GWGC record state 6 Gaugan Terrace, Groesion, yet his military record shows Llandwrog. Not knowing the area I'm guessing that as the two villages are near each other, then he may have entered either when registering for military service. I have also tried to search Gaugan Terrace, but it does not appear to exist? Is it possible that it has been renamed or simply disappeared? Any guidance would be appreciated?
Yours
Huw

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 27 March 18 22:40 BST (UK) »
I think what you might be looking for is Grugan Terrace as near the station here(approx postcode LL54
7TD).This address is consistent with census data,

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/247500/355500/12/101047

Regards
Roger