Author Topic: Williams Family - Llanwnda/Llandwrog  (Read 9773 times)

Offline Jenfur

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Williams Family - Llanwnda/Llandwrog
« Reply #9 on: Monday 02 July 12 13:31 BST (UK) »
Ok, I've received Sarah Ann's birth certificate and amazingly it is the right one!

BUT mother is listed as Sarah Williams, formerly Williams - not a surname I'd expected.

Does anyone have any advice for why I can't find details of a marriage between Griffith & Sarah or how to find it?

Thanks!

Jen

Offline Jenfur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 06 July 12 14:45 BST (UK) »
Anyone? :( I've been stuck on this side of my family for so long.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 06 July 12 15:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Jen

I'm at a loss unless -

* they didn't marry
* Sarah was married before and married under her first married name
* there was an error on the birth certificate
* they married outside of the area

I can't think of any other reason. It might be worth trying to get a birth cert of one of the other children.

I'll have another look for them but not sure if I can come up with anything new.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 06 July 12 15:11 BST (UK) »
I've rechecked the North Wales BMD:

http://www.northwalesbmd.org.uk/cgi/marrind.cgi

and Freebmd:

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

and nothing is showing for a Griffith William(s)/Sarah William(s) marriage around that time.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 06 July 12 15:32 BST (UK) »
There is an outside possible for this :

Mar q, 1882, Carnarvon, 11b 547

Sarah Williams and a John Jones are on the same page. It's not showing on the NW BMD so I can't cross check. There is also an Owen Parry so that might have been the pairing. Nothing showing  in the established Church records either.

If this Sarah married a John Jones and he died, she would have married Griffith as Sarah Jones. Testing this idea is difficult because of all the possible John Jones deaths 1882-1885

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 06 July 12 15:39 BST (UK) »
Working around this problem,  there is a possible Sarah Williams, b. Llandwrog circa 1864 (aged 7) on the 1871 census  at Llandwrog RG10/5713/20/7

Her parents are William Williams, 31, quarryman,  and Sarah, 35.

Interestingly,  there is a brother listed as Hugn Jones, aged 13.  Also 4 other siblings, all Williams.

If you don't have access to the census, I'll transcribe the full entry for you.

added - transcribed the above:

1871 census
Pantemrys, Llandwrog
RG10/5713/20/7
William Williams, 31, quarryman
Sarah Williams, w, 35, b. Llanwnda
Hugh Jones, s, 13, b. do
Ann Williams, d, 12
John, s, 10
Sarah, d, 7
Richard, s, 4
Margaret. d. 2

all but Sarah, snr, and Hugh Jones were b. Llandwrog

This family is at Llandwrog  RG9/4337/59/1 on the 1861. Son Hugh is down as a Williams!

Offline Jenfur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 06 July 12 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Brevitas, thanks for your replies.

I can't see why they wouldn't have married - the 1911 census states that they have been married 27 years. I've not had any experience with ancestors in the past that didn't get married, is it likely they would have filled this number in if they weren't married?

I purchased the marriage certificate for Griffith Williams and Sarah Jones - she is listed as Spinster shouldn't have been married to John Jones previously.

Thank you for the 1871 information - I do have access to the census and have found this Sarah Williams but glad to know that this seems the most likely person to you, also. Unfortunately since I can't find the marriage information, I'm not sure whether this would be the right person or not.

I can't pinpoint which birth record would be the correct entry for Jane or William, their children, so I'm not sure if it would be possible to receive a birth certificate for either of these, unfortunately.

I hate being stuck!!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 06 July 12 16:13 BST (UK) »
It's very difficult - you picked an area that has the highest % of Williams in the whole of Wales  :-\

I'll see if I can find anything else but I think I might be scraping the barrel on this one - 27 years from 1911 does suggest 1884.

What religion were they?

Offline Jenfur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 06 July 12 16:31 BST (UK) »
Religion-wise I have no real knowledge but as far as I know, Jane Williams and her husband frequently went to the Ebenezer Chapel in Aberdare (I think they may have married there but can't remember off the top of my head) and I know their son went there as a child. As for her parents, I know nothing about them. We have some old postcards written by Jane and her husband and these (along with the census records) are the only reason I even know her parents names.