Author Topic: Lead Mining in North East England (Whitfield)  (Read 3155 times)

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Lead Mining in North East England (Whitfield)
« on: Sunday 22 May 05 22:55 BST (UK) »
In the past Chatters have asked about Lead Miners in Allendale... I think one family mentioned was Whitfield.

The info below might interest some Chatters...

From a book...( from my local library)..
" The History of Lead Mining in the North East of England"
by Les. Turnbull, published in 1975 by Harold Hill & Son of Newcastle upon Tyne. ISBN number 090046331..

On page 29 is a table of hours worked and wages paid to boys who were employed as Washers, ( of the ore) during the month of April 1841, in the Beaumont mine.

Of the eight boys under the supervision of the two Mastermen Washers, Edward Hewitson and John Lee, a Dawson Whitfield at 11 yrs and 9 months was the second youngest.

For week commencing 10 April, Dawson worked 4 days, w/c 17 April 3 days, w/c 24 April 3 days and w/c 1 May 5 days. For the total of those 15 days he was paid at the rate of 6 pence a day, totalling 7 shillings and 6 pence
( 37 and a half pence in today's currency.) But last column notes that " Cash forwarded in the month" was 10 shillings
( 50 pence)... so as far as April 1841 went, Dawson drew more pay than he earned !

The other boys were Anthony Johnson 16 yrs 2 months,
John Chatt 17-2, William Coats 14-1, John Snaith 12-11, William Dixon 12-11, John Robson 10-9 and Michael Stobbs 16-2.

The chapter goes on to explain that a Children's Employment Commission of 1842  found that the washerboys worked from 7am to 7pm, with an hour midday break, and that
" cruelty towards children, which is frequently mentioned in the reports of children working in the coal mines and the cotton mills, was never observed by the Commission during their visits to the lead dales"

Michael Dixon,
Blyth, Northumberland
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline Gareth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Lead Mining in North East England (Whitfield)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 June 05 14:50 BST (UK) »
I knew Les Turnbull -  a very nice man!

Another notable thing about the lead mining industry was the siting of the smelters down in the valleys where there was easy access to water power, whilst the chimneys were way up the hillside - often 1/2 mile away  - where they could get more draught. The 'pipe' joining the two was built of stone and ran overground. Maybe 1 metre across? Anyway, since the smelting process was so inefficient a lot of ore got deposited as the air cooled going up this long pipe, and recrystallised on the walls of the pipe.  Since lead often occurs with silver, it was worth recovering.

Small boys were ideal for that process too. They were sent up the long dark flues with a scraper and a bucket.  I wonder what they got paid for doing that? And how long they survived? :'(

Gareth
Tyneside - Almond, Lowes, Lackenby, Johnston
Berwick - Ronaldson