Author Topic: Samuel A Hobbs of Cork  (Read 8003 times)

Offline suds

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuel A Hobbs of Cork
« on: Tuesday 26 June 12 19:22 BST (UK) »
Hello

I have just received, from the National Archive in Dublin, a record of a grant of probate for an ancestor of mine. It has raised a couple of questions that, hopefully, someone here will be able to help with.

Under the heading “Name of the court, Date of Administration and by whom extracted” is written - Cork 2 April 1831.

Under the heading “Name and Description of Intestate” is written - Sam’l A Hobbs unbodied 24 December 1829.

I have not come across the term unbodied before. Would I be right in thinking that was the date of his death?

The adminitratrix is given as Sarah Hobbs. I know that his wife was called Sarah so I take this to be her. It says that her residence is Sarahville, Cork. Can any one tell me, is this an area of Cork, or would this be the name of the house she lived in?

Many thanks in advance

Suds

Offline Somme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel A Hobbs of Cork
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 20:30 BST (UK) »
Hello.The meaning of unbodied is "not having a material body",so that can be taken as deceased.As to Sarahville;there are a number of Sarahville in Cork.There is a Sarahville in Pouladuff and Ballyphehane.The time that you are looking at though I would recommend taking a look at  an old map of Cork,the Local Studies in the Library, Grand Parade are very helpful.If you had an idea of the area of the city they were living in you could narrow it down as many places went through a name change,e.g. King St. became MacCurtain St,etc.Good luck with your search.
 PS. corkcitypastandpresent.ie is a good site to look at old maps of Cork.

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 21:02 BST (UK) »
Marriage for Samuel Andrew Hobbs to Sarah Prittie
1796 Diocese of Cork & Ross (from an Irish database)

Tithe Applotment books 1828 following entries:

Samuel A Hobbs. County Cork.Parish St Finbars
Townland Reigh & Vican Aare

Sarah A Hobbs. County Cork. Parish St Finbars, Townland Mahon

Offline suds

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 21:27 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your responses.

Ballydw

You have provided new information for which I'm very grateful. I didn't know the marriage date.

I have Samuels full name as Samuel Andrew Hobbs.

His daughter Annie married John Sudlow in Liverpool in 1839. On the marriage certificate Samuel is described Gentleman (deceased). One of the witnesses is William Hobbs who I presume is a brother.

It is not clear to me what the Tithe Applotment records are telling. Is that where they lived or perhaps where they owned land?

The reference to Sarah A Hobbs and Townland Mahon is possibly interesting. John Sudlow's stepdaughter Josephine Martindale married Richard Harris of Blackrock and he owned lands in Mahon. Perhaps there is a connection.

See, the information that you have provided has led me off in to new areas. As said above, I'm very grateful.

Regards

Suds

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 21:41 BST (UK) »
Glad to help if I can.  You could take a look at www.nli.ie and you will find all information on the Tithe Applotment.

The records might at least provide a "lead" in your hunt for Sarahville!!

Regards

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 21:55 BST (UK) »
There is a listing in American Directory for William Hobbs 1801-1825
Address: Patrick Street, Cork, Attorney.

Griffiths Valuation 1852
Williams Hobbs Tenant - Landlord Sarah Hobbs. Parish Holy Trinity, Townland Marlboro St.  House & Yard.  Must have been a substantial House as he was paying a high rent for the time.

Did the Hobbs family originate in UK?

Regards

Offline suds

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 23:10 BST (UK) »
Blimey ballydw

You are finding some really good stuff.

There is an archive in the Cork archives called the Exham papers. There is an online index. I think it is the records of a local solicitor. In the index there are several references to Sarah Hobbs that indicate that she must have been quite wealthy.

From that archive I was able to purchase copies of the Wills of Richard Harris and his father William Prittie Harris. It was quite an involved process and quite expensive. I'd like to get a look at the archive one day (I'm in England by the way). Anyway you can see that it looks like these families were intermingled with this reference to another Prittie. There seems to have been a group of families local to Blackrock - Harris, Prittie, Hall, Crofts, McNamara - who seem to have intermarried.

Samuel A Hobbs appears as a Freeman of Cork in this 1826 poll. I don't know if that implies wealth and/os status:

http://www.corkrecords.com/ProtMenOfCork.htm

The William Hobbs of Patrick Street, attorney is not the brother of Annie Hobbs, he was dead too soon. I guess he was related though. I think the William Hobbs of Marlboro Street was probably the brother and renting off his mother. Just to muddy the water further, Annie Hobbs married John Sudlow on 1 January 1839 in Liverpool. Four days later 5 January 1839 William Hobbs marries another of John Sudlow's stepdaughters, Mary Martindale, in Liverpool. It gets very complicated.

It's an interesting question as to whether the Hobbs came from England. The farthest back that I have been able to take my Hobbs line is Samuel Andrew Hobbs (? - 1829 as I now know)) I guess if you go back far enough the answer is yes, but how far is enough? By coincidence, I now live in Somerset, where there are a lot of Hobbs. From what I have read it seems possible that the Hobbs were involved in the Munster plantations:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantations_of_Ireland

The Munster plantation seems to have involved quite a number of people from Somerset. However, I have no real evidence one way or the other about the Hobbs.

Regards

Suds

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 00:14 BST (UK) »
1801-1825 listing in Directory for Wm Hobbs is the year of publication.

Speaking to a friend tonight who knows Cork City quiet well she knew Sarahville, as mentioned by Somme, it is Pouladuff & near The Lough Cork City.
She seemed to think in St Finbars parish, so this ties in with previous land records for St Finbarrs Parish.

Regards

Offline suds

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 07:38 BST (UK) »
ballydw

Aaah, I see what you mean about the dates - they were not the dates of his life.

I can only have a guess at William Hobbs dates although more informed with the information you provided.

Parents marriage date 1796, birth of sister Annie 1814 (based on age on death certificate), so I'd guess between those dates. He gets married in 1839 to Mary Martindale born 1821.

Looking at Google maps I can see that there is a Sarahville Road off Pouladuff Road, confirming that that is probably the area that Sarah Hobbs lived and Samuel A Hobbs before he died, presumably.

Many thanks for your input, it's most welcome.

Regards

Suds