Author Topic: Samuel A Hobbs of Cork  (Read 7984 times)

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel A Hobbs of Cork
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 10:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Suds, have you looked at www.irishgenealogy.ie  for diocese of Cork & Ross it has numerous baptism/marriage entries for Hobbs.
Do you know the denomination of your Hobbs? There seemed to be several families of this name in Cork some were Roman Catholic & some Church of Ireland.
The above site is Roman Catholic records

Regards

Offline suds

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 11:06 BST (UK) »
ballydw

The only clues I have to their religion are the marriages of Annie and William which both took place in Church of England churches.

Marriage: 1 Jan 1839 St Catherine Abercromby Square, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
John Sudlow - Full Accountant Widower of Exchange St. East
Ann Hobbs - Full Spinster of Bidston, Cheshire
    Groom's Father: Thomas Sudlow, Accountant
    Bride's Father: Samuel Hobbs, Gentleman
    Witness: Wm. Hobbs; J Boyes
    Married by Licence by: Charles Gladwin Offg. Minr.
    Register: Marriages 1837 - 1859, Page 17, Entry 33
    Source: LDS Film 1655552

From Genuki
St Catherine, Liverpool- Church of England

The Northern Standard and Monaghan, Cavan, and Armagh Advertiser.
January 12, 1839
Monaghan, County Monaghan
5 January
At St. Bride’s, Liverpool, William Hobbs, Esq. of Cork, to Mary, eldest daughter, of the late Captain Joseph Martindale, of Northumberland.

From Genuki
St Bride, Liverpool - Church of England

Regards

Suds

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 28 June 12 15:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin, if you would like to PM me your email address I will scan the marriage record & forward to you. Regards, Frances

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 29 June 12 23:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Suds,

I have a few entries from newspapers which might help or hinder your search!!!
I know I have given you some info and photos before.

Cork Mercantile Chronicle M 11 Aug 1817 on Sat morning last at St. Barry's church by the Rev. Alexander kennedy, William Stamers Esq. of Passage to Mary eldest dau
of Samuel A. Hobbs Esq., of Pleasantview Blackrock.

Hibernian chronicle M 26 april 1784 last Saturday Mr. William Flaherty an eminent builder to Miss Hobbs dau of Mr. Samuel Hobbs, architect of Crosses Green ( MLB
Margaret Hobbs)

Hibernian chronicle M 19 April 1790 yesterday Mr. Murray to Miss Hobbs, dau of Mr.
Samuel Hobbs Architect (MLB Elizabeth Hobbs married at St. Finbarrs 17 Feb)

Above from Rosemary Ffoilliot's newspaper index

The following item I found in a book "Portrait of Cork " by T. F. Mc Namara ( Cork City Architect)
"Clarkes Bridge,
The bridge was built under the superintendence of a Samuel Hobbs, carpenter, who undertook many other works for the Cork Corporation.  The earliest catholic church in the city is the South Chapel , which also dates 1766.  It has not been possible to establish who built it, but it is likely undertaken by this gentleman.On 23rd Feb 1790 Hobbs had the freedom of the City bestowed on him"

I might have sent you this before??

Mary
Celtic Liberty
Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,

Offline suds

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 30 June 12 10:41 BST (UK) »
Hello Mary

Yes, you have given me some information and photographs in the past for which I was very grateful. However, you’ve given me a bit of a conundrum with this latest information.

I’m aware from “© Cork City and County Archives 2007 List of Freemen of Cork City 1710-1841” that there were two Samuel A Hobbs in Cork. I’m pretty certain that the one relevant to me was Samuel Andrew Hobbs, and then there was Samuel Aug. (August?) Hobbs:

Hobart Rt. Hon. Robert (afterwards Earl of Buckinghamshire).
Principal Secretary to Lord Lieut. (1790). S.B. 23/1/1790
Hobbs Samuel A. Esquire
Hobbs Samuel Aug. Gentleman
Hobbs Thomas Captain 92nd Regt. “for his gallant Condu

There are no associated dates so they could be living 100 years apart. What’s the difference between an Esquire and a Gentleman, I wonder?

Your reference to Samuel A Hobbs Esq. of  Pleasantview, Blackrock looks good because my family seems to have lots of connections to Blackrock.

I have been aware of the Samuel Hobbs, architect, but haven’t been able to take the step backwards. I wonder if he was Samuel Aug. Hobbs since your reference notes that he was a freeman and there are only the two Samuels.  “My” Samuel A Hobbs married in 1796 (as given by ballydw), I guess he can’t have been born much later than 1775. From your references Sam the architect had two girls marrying in 1784 and 1790 so “my” Sam could be a sibling. If we ever found a baptism that said Sam son of Sam I think I’d be convinced that Samuel Aug. Hobbs (the architect) was the father of Samuel Andrew Hobbs (“my” Sam).

It’s all food for thought and I appreciate, very much, you taking the time and trouble to look up the references on my behalf.

Regards

Suds

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 30 June 12 13:37 BST (UK) »
There is some info here on Samuel Hobbs, carpenter/architect.
http://www.dia.ie/architects/view/2606/HOBBS-SAMUEL#tab_biography

Then if you search this website, it lists a Samuel Andrew Hobbs, tallow chandler, and wife Sarah as parties to a deed in 1800. Some other Hobbs listings as well

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~registryofdeeds/

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 30 June 12 19:47 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

I had another look at "The Portrait of Cork" book by T. F. McNamara and there
is another item on Samuel A Hobbs with a reference to the Council book of the
Corporation of Cork includes years 1710-1841 listing several Freemen of Cork and
Samuel A. Hobbs Esq. listed with a date after his name of  23/11/1700 so this
is definately not your Samuel as you say possibly his father, hard to say for sure.

Mary
Celtic Liberty
Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,

Offline suds

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 30 June 12 22:35 BST (UK) »
Hello

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply, I've been out all day.

Thanks once again for taking the trouble to look up these references for me.

I have noted in my records that Samuel Andrew Hobbs was a tallow chandler. To my ears this doesn't sound like a very lofty position. Would he have been made a freeman? On the other hand when his daughter Annie marries John Sudlow he is described as a gentleman. I'm not sure what you have to do to be described as a gentleman. It's not much of a job description.

John Sudlow had, in a small way, some influence. He was a commissioner for Birkenhead at the time of his marriage to Annie, He, and his father before him, had been the clerk to the treasurer of Liverpool City Council.

One of his stepdaughters married Richard Harris of Lakeview, Blackrock, another married William Hobbs. A full daughter from his previous marriage married Henry Hewitt O'Bryen, Harbourmaster of Queenstown. I'm not sure what that all adds up to, I guess I'm thinking that it would be in keeping for Samuel Andrew Hobbs to have some wealth and/or influence.

This is an index to the O'Flynn Exham archive in Cork. It has several references to Hobbs in connection with the Harris family of Lakeview.

http://www.corkarchives.ie/media/U229web.pdf

Anyway, I'll keep looking and say once again that the kind people here on rootchat have helped me make forward progress, for which I'm grateful.

Regards

Suds

Offline marbil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 14 December 15 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Suds,

I have a family tree dating back to 'Samuel A Hobbs' (architect & freeman). My own surname is Hobbs and I'm a descendant - family history always had Sam building Clarks Bridge....- have a look at Irish census 1901 and 1911 under Hobbs, Cork and you will find a John Hobbs listed with sons William and Daniel etc.

Regards

Marbil