Author Topic: MALLETT/ COE Wiveton and Blakeney  (Read 2080 times)

Offline belfordian

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MALLETT/ COE Wiveton and Blakeney
« on: Wednesday 27 June 12 14:22 BST (UK) »
My ancestors Henry Mallett and Eilizabeth Coe married at Blakeney  3 Feb 1824. However i have seen a newspaper entry   Bury and Norwich Post 25 Feb 1824 stating:

Lately at Wiveton the Rev H Mallett of Blakeney to Miss Coe youngest daughter of Shepherd Coe Esq of the former place.

I am sure these are the same people although I thought the father of Elizabeth was Henry and not Shepherd. Does Esq signify higher social status? Please could anyone with access to Wiveton Parish Register check this entry for names, date etc. It is rather puzzling.

Many thanks to anyone who can help.

Val
GLASS (Northumberland, Fife, Roxburghshire)
DOCKWREY (South Shields)
REDPATH (Northumberland, Oklahoma)
SOUTHERN, SUTHREN, SITHERN (North Northumberland)
DARLING (Carham)

Offline Yorkslass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: MALLETT/ COE WIVETON ANDBLAKENEY
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 18:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Val,

The Wiveton marriages are online - here's the page for 1824/25 and there's no marriage between Mallettt and Coe .... but strangely enough, there's one early 1825 for Elizabeth Coe and James Green.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-12427-28362-13?cc=1416598&wc=MMVP-H2V:n2120229100

Yorkslass
Norris, London 1800's
Bird, Gt Yarmouth 1800's
Smowton, Yarmouth/Norwich 1770
Dublack, Yarmouth
Binks, Essex
Wilcock, Lancashire
Kettlewell, Yorkshire

Offline kaysii

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 19:59 BST (UK) »
Obviously two Elizabeth Coes. There are two born in Wiveton according to freereg, one bapt. 11 Oct 1802 to Henry and Sarah Coe, mother maiden name Alcock. One bapt 5 Aug 1798 to John and Martha Coe mother maiden name Jordan. Doesn't solve the problem of the name Shepherd though.

Offline kaysii

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 20:40 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Green has one daughter Sarah Elizabeth born in 1825. Her husband dies age 21 in the same year. She marries a William Turner of Letheringsett 11 Dec 1831 in Wiveton.

From the marriage to James you can see in the register she cannot write whereas the Elizabeth Coe married to Henry Mallett can. In the 1851 census her dob is given as 1800. Her husband was born 1799. The dob given to Elizabeth Green is 1803. Her oldest son is called Henry.

Maybe the Elizabeth married to Henry Mallett is the daughter of John Coe?

Offline kaysii

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 21:06 BST (UK) »
Looking at the later baptisms  in Wiveton of the children of John and Martha Coe, when the occupation of father is given, the occupation of John is shepherd.

Here is Edmund Coe entry no 23
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-12427-28752-1?cc=1416598&wc=MMVP-HK8:1002339465

Offline kaysii

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 21:48 BST (UK) »
i have seen a newspaper entry   Bury and Norwich Post 25 Feb 1824 stating:

Lately at Wiveton the Rev H Mallett of Blakeney to Miss Coe youngest daughter of Shepherd Coe Esq of the former place.

I am sure these are the same people although I thought the father of Elizabeth was Henry and not Shepherd. Does Esq signify higher social status?

With regards your original question. As far as I understand Esquire used to refer to a person of higher social status, a member of the gentry, but at some point of time was used as a formal form of address instead of Mr and always placed at the end of a name. I would think therefore that it is because it is a notice of marriage it uses this term instead of Mr rather referring to high social rank. Also strange is the title Rev. given to Henry Mallet who is a tailor. Was he also a non-conformist minister?

Offline belfordian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: MALLETT/ COE Wiveton and Blakeney
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 July 16 15:27 BST (UK) »
I posted my query some time ago but now think I have solved the problem. The father of the alternative Elizabeth Coe was John Jordan and he WAS a shepherd! This explains his title of Shepherd Coe. Several of Elizabeth,s children have same forenames as her siblings or parents - Susanna, Samuel, Martha, John, Elizabeth. Also Her husband Henry Mallett appears as a witness at the marriage of her brother John to Mary Anne Bilham at Wiveton on 16 Aug 1841. So I am going to plump for John Coe and Martha Jordan as her parents!

Any further views on this before I mark it COMPLETED?
GLASS (Northumberland, Fife, Roxburghshire)
DOCKWREY (South Shields)
REDPATH (Northumberland, Oklahoma)
SOUTHERN, SUTHREN, SITHERN (North Northumberland)
DARLING (Carham)