Author Topic: Michael Connor,born1828 in Kerry,Ireland.married in NSW 1855.  (Read 2968 times)

Offline firetail

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Michael Connor,born1828 in Kerry,Ireland.married in NSW 1855.
« on: Friday 29 June 12 11:57 BST (UK) »
Michael Connor,b1828 Kerry,Ireland age 28,(Lance Corpral 11th Reg)married Bridget Ryan age21,Trim Co.Meath Ireland,1855 in sydney NSW.
Would like to know the town or place Michael was born.

Regards:firetail

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Connor,born1828 in Kerry,Ireland.married in NSW 1855.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 June 12 13:27 BST (UK) »
For early records, particularly for common names, you usually need either details of parents, or a more detailed place of birth... there are about 15 Michael [O']Connor baptisms listed in RC parish records for Co. Kerry - and that's just in 1828. Ages are not always accurate on old records, so you would really need to allow a couple of years either way.

Do you have details of your Micheal's parents from his marriage or death records ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline cath59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 01:10 BST (UK) »
Hello,
This post is 8 years ago, so I am wondering if you found some answers? Some cousins and I have been searching for these Kerry ancestors or some years and have numerous bits of info. We think Michael may have been from Killarney or Killorglin. We also are reasonably sure he joined the regiment in Killorglin. (Have gone through all the online muster records via the AJCP. No idea who his parents were- though there are plenty of unsubstantiated guesses on Ancestry. I think the only real link to his parents may be on his military record which may not exist. It is noted on his discharge that he “ purchased out” of the army which is confirmed by numerous family stories. £7 it was. I believe he hated the army and he and Bridget made hats or woven goods to raise the money. There are no records of soldiers who purchased out according to my inquiries with the Army records at Kew, London.
I would be happy to be contacted to direct you to further info and descendants if that’s possible. I’m on Ancestry as Catherine Connor family tree and Family Search as Connor Family Tree. I do have a photo of Michael and Bridget.
Cheers
Cath

Offline cath59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 October 20 06:22 GMT (UK) »
Dear Firetail,

Update on my last reply.
Further research has shown that Michael was [likely] born in Killorglin. He enlisted in the 11th regiment of the British Army in Cork on the 4th of October 1849. His service number was 2861. He emigrated to Sydney with the regiment as a guard and became a police guard (with police service in NSW in 1857 after 8 years in the regiment, after purchasing his discharge in late 1857. His discharge doc (in Muster files) claims he was born in (likely, though hard to read )Killorglin, Kerry . He went on to work as a guard in Darlinghurst gaol and Goulburn Gaol. He was also at some point a shoe maker- a trade he fell back on in later years in Harden (Murrumburrah) NSW -as noted on his death certificate 1888.
Im happy to be contacted, Cath

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 November 20 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Is this your site

http://www.falvey.id.au

they were married in 1855

Michael died 1888 in Harden

list of all children on this site

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 November 20 10:38 GMT (UK) »
marriage mentioned on find my past

http://www.findmypast.co.uk

at St James Sydney 1855