Author Topic: Commercial Hotel, Hawick  (Read 16037 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Commercial Hotel, Hawick
« Reply #18 on: Friday 06 July 12 13:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the effort, but really the image didn't come through to me very clear. I do appreciate the effort you have made. I just got an impression from your image of gables - and I'd felt the Hotel we'd stayed at was more four-square and a bit less gothic in image.
I'm still enjoying myself trawling all over the internet calling up all sorts of images of old Hawick, and learning a great deal.
 It's amazing what a quite small, unimportant query can lead you on to, on this site!! Floreat Rootschat, and all that!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline stirling76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 07 July 12 12:06 BST (UK) »
I'll be in the town today, so I'll take my camera with me, lets see if I come up with the right hotel.
Stewart
Stirling in Scotland, Baker Street in Stirling.
Donaldson from Thornhill
Stewart from Whins of Milton
McAra from Whins of Milton

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 07 July 12 12:16 BST (UK) »
This has become a fun challenging thread now.... ;)

The mission to find this hotel is full on it seems!

Adding to the research pile is info on here www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/hawick-burgh-publication.pdf Page 28 onwards has a section with photos on Hotels and Clubs for additonal background.

Monica  :)

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stirling76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hotels in Hawick - tower and station
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 08 July 12 08:14 BST (UK) »
I've taken photos of the hotels in Hawick, and the buildings that were hotels from the 70's to the 80's, lets see if the mystery hotel in one of these.

The first one is the Tower Hotel, which is at the far end of the High Street heading South. The hotel has been closed down for some years.

The Second is of the Station Hotel, not been used as a hotel for years, the bar is still open. This was across the road from The Railway station, just yards from commercial road
Donaldson from Thornhill

Offline stirling76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hotels in Hawick -
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 08 July 12 08:17 BST (UK) »
The first pic is the Kirklands Hotel, now a private house.

The second is the building where the King's Hotel used to be, now a B&B.
Donaldson from Thornhill

Offline stirling76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hotels in Hawick - Elm & Crown
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 08 July 12 08:19 BST (UK) »
The first pic is the Elm House Hotel, still functions.

The second is where the Crown Hotel was in the High Street.
Donaldson from Thornhill

Offline stirling76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hotels in Hawick - Buccleuch and Sergio's
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 08 July 12 08:24 BST (UK) »
The first is the Buccleuch Hotel, now only a restaurant, stopped the rooms only a few years ago.

The second really was never a hotel, however like the station its very close to a bridge. It is now an italian Restaurant, before the it was the Channel Cafe and before that it was a boarding house.

As Monica says, this is a Challenge, if its not one of these! then we are snookered!
Stewart
Donaldson from Thornhill

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 08 July 12 14:34 BST (UK) »
My goodness! A day or two without checking the computer, and it's fantastic what's popped up while my back has been turned ( and judging by the aching shoulders, otherwise employed in a soggy garden). I'm overwhelmed.
Thank you so much for the great help, which is totally over the top for such a feeble little initial query, especially Minto77 and stirling76, you are wonderful.
I am now quite convinced it was the Station Hotel - and if/when I ever get to Hawick again, I shall have to go into that bar, just to check it out finally.
It was such an idle comment that set it all off, we were in the area, taking about an unplanned visit there many years ago, and a Hawick hotel that had been what may best be called a "memorable" evening meal, bed and breakfast experience at that time, and we really just wondered if it had survived, and then drove round - and round - and tried to find it. We then could not agree quite where or what it had been, thought it had been the "Commercial Hotel" - and sought help here.
You are all amazing, and I can only thank you all for your interest, generous help, and skill downloading photos ( I can never get it right).
Thank you all again. "Station Hotel" Hawick, is now firmly in my mind.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline minto77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 09:48 BST (UK) »
Well done Stirling76. I would have done the same but for the fact that I am 500 miles away.minto77