Author Topic: Locating Info on Bakers in Barnstaple  (Read 6307 times)

Offline PaulU

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Locating Info on Bakers in Barnstaple
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 03 May 16 21:03 BST (UK) »
That is absolutely brilliant.

Do you have any other photos of the family.

I reached a bit of a dead end with George and Sarah,  do you have their dates of death.  Please say a littte hello from me, the next time you walk past their graves.  Which church are they buried in?  Also the info on the Gillingham family is fascinating, I would love to hear about it.

I am descended from Elizabeth, George and Sarah's eldest daughter.  I tracked her to a hotel in Lynton in 1861. She had moved to London by 1871 and married James John Withers.  She was a cook at the Royal Free hospital.  Haven't found out if she met James in London or whether she followed him back to London after meeting in Devon.  She had 2 children, but sadly passed away in 1895.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Good luck Michelle with the new baby.

Paul

Offline JudithMT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 06 May 16 10:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul

George French died 17 March 1888. His parents were William French and Jane Cotty.

Sarah Gillingham died 12 April 1902. Her parents were Robert Gillingham and Elizabeth Hart.

George and Sarah's son George French Junior (my gg grandfather) joined the navy when (I think!) he was only 14. I have attached a picture of the ship he served on in the West Indies and the Eastern seaboard of the USA.

Are you on ancestry.co.uk?

Offline JudithMT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 06 May 16 10:49 BST (UK) »
Sorry I also meant to say that George & Sarah are buried in Holy Trinity Barnstaple. I will take a photo next time I walk past and put it on here.

Michelle - how are you?

Offline Michelle79

• RootsChat Member
  • Great Grandfather Samuel Edgar Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 06 May 16 14:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Judith, thanks for the photos it's really nice to see them.

I'm fine thank you, little one is being stupor and is now a week late 😀 Have been getting all my records out today and making some updates, it's good to get back into things.

Am hoping that it'll be me comfortable one little one is here and I can do a lot more.
Key / Bennett / French / Bullock / Ellis
Stoke-on-Trent / Huddersfield / Devon

Offline PaulU

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 06 May 16 22:25 BST (UK) »
Great photo, thank you.  I think I found you on ancestry yesterday, is it the Thompson family tree.  You have done a great job tracking the family back so far.  I think its wonderful that they came from Dorset,as I have always loved that county and wasn't aware of the connection. 

Speak soon
Paul