Author Topic: Locating Info on Bakers in Barnstaple  (Read 6305 times)

Offline PaulU

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Locating Info on Bakers in Barnstaple
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 07:23 GMT (UK) »
Dear Michelle,

It would be great to see your research.  I am still astounded that my family originated from Devon, as I spent many years in Plymouth without realising the connection. 

My family tree is uploaded to Ancestry.co.uk and it shows a clear route from Elizabeth French, showing how my family evolved from her time.  If you cannot access that website, then I will be happy to send all my info to you.

Paul

Offline PaulU

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 07:29 GMT (UK) »
Dear Michelle,

Sorry, forgot to mention, my family tree is listed as Underwood on Ancestry.co.uk

Paul

Offline JudithMT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 30 April 16 22:54 BST (UK) »
Hi not sure if this thread is still open! George French is my ggg grandfather too. His son George's was at 5 Litchdon St (now demolished) but George French senior's original bakery is at the other end of Litchdon Street and is still there.
George French senior and his wife Sarah are buried together in the churchyard a stone's throw from where they lived in Litchdon Street.
I have a photo of George (my gg grandfather) if you are interested.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 30 April 16 23:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Judith and welcome to Rootschat. Hopefully Michelle and Paul haven't changed their emails, and get notification of your post. Neither of them have been active on Rootschat for some time.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Michelle79

• RootsChat Member
  • Great Grandfather Samuel Edgar Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 30 April 16 23:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Judith,

Really glad to hear from you, I haven't done much research for a while due to so family matters but am trying to get back to it now.

Currently on maternity leave and waiting on my little one to arrive so perfect time to try and catch up.

I had a feeling that one of the shops would have been demolished but very interesting that one is still there 😀

If you are willing to share the photo you have this would be brilliant, unfortunately no photos from that side of the family seemed to have survived or were ever passed onto my mum or nan.

Would love to keep in touch and see if there is any info that we can swap, I'm expecting little one any day now ( was actually due today but she's late ) but I'll keep an eye on my email for any responses.

Michelle
Key / Bennett / French / Bullock / Ellis
Stoke-on-Trent / Huddersfield / Devon

Offline PaulU

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 01 May 16 18:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Judith,

I would be delighted to have a photo of George French.  I think its wonderful that the bakery is still there.  My late mother was very a talented cake decorator and I don't think she ever knew that her family were bakers/ confectioners, so its obviously in the genes.

Speak soon
Paul

Offline JudithMT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 01 May 16 20:53 BST (UK) »
Hi all. First of all, congratulations Michelle on the impeding arrival of the latest Frnch descendant. Good luck!

I will try and attach a photo of George French junior in the next day or so.

George French senior's first bakery, as far as I can tell, was on Boutport Street in Barnstaple. It's now the offices of estate agents Midwinter Koval so if you Google them you will find a picture of the building.

He then moved to Litchdon Street, 26 I think, which is opposite the alms houses. The building is still there but it's flats now (one for sale at the moment I think - funnily painted pink and yellow property if you look it up online).

His son George seems to have stayed in litchdon street, but George senior and family moved to Queen Street in Barnstaple. Most of that has gone I think. And then they seem to have gone back to Litchdon Street!

George senior's wife Sarah Gillingham is very interesting. She outlived George by about 14 years and lives the latter part of her life in the beautiful old alms houses on Litchdon street.

Don't know if you've researched her at all? She was born in Sidmouth in south Devon, but the Gillingham family came from just over the border in Dorset. Interestingly, I have been able to trace the Gillingham line in Dorset (in the village of Lydlinch) back to the mid 1500s. They also had an alternative surname "Farr" or "Farre" as they were all blacksmiths, a very well respected trade in those days.

One of the Gillingham family had a Hardy (not Thomas, but probably a relative) as a witness at their wedding.

Hope you find this interesting and not a load of info you knew already!!

I walk past George and Sarah's grave on my way to and from work very often and I always say hi

X

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 01 May 16 21:39 BST (UK) »
I believe most of Queen Street and surrounding streets was cleared and rebuilt. Some of my ancestors lived in Queen Street and Silver Street.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline JudithMT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 03 May 16 15:25 BST (UK) »
Hi there

attached is a photo of George French Junior, with his wife Eliza China, their daughter Selina, and granddaughter Winifred Harper.

Winifred Harper was my gran.

Could you let me know if this is received?