Author Topic: Robert Swan Philips of Morpeth London  (Read 8681 times)

Offline Judy-Ann

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Swan Philips of Morpeth London
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 30 June 12 11:26 BST (UK) »
I had seen the Henry Dunn Mother a while ago and thankyou for helping to eliminate that line of enquiry. I thought that it might be mother in law but wasn't sure.

Benjamin Henry Philips son of Robert marries several times. he is a hat maker on the strand.

Charlotte Philips marries late and may have been living with a maria in one of the earlier census's but i've lost the record. Charlotte was born 1818 in st Pancras

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 30 June 12 11:37 BST (UK) »
Charlotte Philips marries late and may have been living with a maria in one of the earlier census's but i've lost the record. Charlotte was born 1818 in st Pancras

That may be where the Morpeth comes from.

11 George Street, St James in 1851:

Maria Philips, widow, 59, born Morpeth
Charlotte Philips, daughter, 33 St Pancras
Maria Cox niece 3 
Mary Cox, niece 9 months

Can't read the birthplaces of the two children
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Judy-Ann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 30 June 12 12:01 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Shaun I've got good vibibes about that charlotte. :) Got a blank too about the little girls but seem to remember seeing a maria ann ,daughter of Maria marrying a cox. 

I have got a feeling that they may have been born in pontypool area which could point to the Morpeth being monmouth ...

family legend is off wealthy son running off with ladies maid, but think this is clarence Godfrey henry frank born london 1864,but i am happy to be disabused of this notion!  All contributions theories welcome. :P

Thanks All judy 

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 30 June 12 12:24 BST (UK) »
Have you seen this Gazette item from 1828, concerning Robert Philips, agent (bottom right of page):

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/18466/pages/866

Offline Judy-Ann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 30 June 12 12:44 BST (UK) »
I have now!!  I had seen something about a bankrupt but nothing so revealing.  Do any other details come out from further articles?  Who is this mysterious person involved in the long running dispute and what exactly does such an agent do?

Offline Judy-Ann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 30 June 12 15:14 BST (UK) »
Thomas Western was t5he mysterious fellow ans he hailed from 35 castle st Holborn, at least that was his address in 1819.  Is there anything explaining this case anywhere or a link to the debtors prison records I should look into?

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 30 June 12 20:40 BST (UK) »
Thomas Western was t5he mysterious fellow ans he hailed from 35 castle st Holborn, at least that was his address in 1819.

However did you discover that?

Thomas George Western was a "conveyancer and equity-draftsman" - a kind of conveyancing solicitor, I suppose.  The issue in Robert Philips' insolvency seems to revolve around a contract of sale of certain real estate which someone had placed in his care. 

Western himself was in the debtors' prison by 1830.

See http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/18661/pages/481 (top left)
http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/19029/pages/517 (left hand column toward the bottom of teh page)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 30 June 12 20:58 BST (UK) »
There's a report of Thomas George Weston's insolvency in The Morning Chronicle for Wednesday March 31st 1830.

He made his money by granting annuities - a sort of Ponzi scheme perhaps. He estimated his profit at £3,000 a year since 1821 - a  huge sum in those days. He used the money to buy property, and then mortgaged the properties.

He went to America circa 1825 and returned to London after a couple of years, whereupon he was arrested for debt. He owed £34,000.

Offline Judy-Ann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 30 June 12 22:54 BST (UK) »
Thomas Western was t5he mysterious fellow ans he hailed from 35 castle st Holborn, at least that was his address in 1819.

However did you discover that?

Thomas George Western was a "conveyancer and equity-draftsman" - a kind of conveyancing solicitor, I suppose.  The issue in Robert Philips' insolvency seems to revolve around a contract of sale of certain real estate which someone had placed in his care. 

Western himself was in the debtors' prison by 1830.

See http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/18661/pages/481 (top left)
http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/19029/pages/517 (left hand column toward the bottom of teh page)