Author Topic: Stumbling block with my research  (Read 7053 times)

Offline barneyrubble

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stumbling block with my research
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 July 12 20:13 BST (UK) »
Don`t know whether you have already got this info, sorry but only just seen the post.

Kirkham St. Michaels MI`s.

There are just 2 gravestones for Chadwicks -

Grave A18 - To the memory of James Chadwick of Warbrick who died 11th Sept 1810 aged 55 years. And Ellen his wife who died 28th Aug 1811 aged 63 years. Also Richard Chadwick of Esprick son of the above who died November 22nd 1873 aged 89 years. And Jenny daughter of the above Richard and Jenny Chadwick who died  August 24th 1831 aged 17 years. Margaret their daughter died 1st August 1837 aged 17 years. James their son died August 18th 1842 aged 26 years. Jane their daughter died August 15th 1850 aged 29 years. Also of Ellen Chadwick daughter of the above who departed this life 26th February 1883 aged 70 years.

Grave A28 - In memory of Richard Chadwick of Treales who departed this life October 27th 1863 aged 36 years. And Mary his wife who departed this life November 23rd 1888 aged 65 years. Also Elizabeth who died April 29th 1855 aged 3 months. Also of Joseph Chadwick father of the above Richard who departed this life at Treales July 15th 1875 aged 83 years. And Margaret his wife who departed this life October 5th 1865? aged 73 years (stone damaged).

Apologies again if you already have the above!

Offline Jack-a-Lyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 11:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the grave inscriptions.  The second one was definitely the one I was needing.

Offline birdeekay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 29 January 15 21:56 GMT (UK) »
I have several John Chadwicks in my late husband's line.
The first is John Chadwick, born 5 Jan 1783 in (I believe) Oldham, Lancashire, ENGLAND.
He married Betsy Snow (as recorded in the Chadwick family bible), b. 26 Apr 1782 in Providence RI USA, I assume before 1810 when their first child was born.
So he immigrated sometime between 1783 and 1810.
They had 8 children: Sally, Betsey, Mary, John, Abrigail, Thomas, Jane and George.
John owned a mill in a town that was named Chadwicks after him in Oneida County, NY.  He died there 12 Mar 1858. His youngest son George took over the mill.

Their son John Chadwick was born 25 Nov 1815 in Chadwicks, Oneida Co. NY USA.  He married Jane Tarpenning. b.15 Sep 1821 in Cooperstown, Oswego Co., NY in 1839.  They had 9 children, according to Jane's obituary. (Jane's ancestory goes back to 1624 in New Netherland.)

Their son John "Melvin" Chadwick was born 13 Mar 1846.   He married twice.  He had 4 children with his first wife, Lavinia Linney.  John was the oldest.  His second wife was Margaret Shaw from Canada, b. 1860. They had one daughter, named Lavinia after his first wife, and she was the grandmother of my late husband. I have many photographs of John Melvin and Lavinia.  He died 13 Sep 1927 and I have a 4 generation photo of him and the next three John Chadwicks.

Back to his son John with his first wife.  He was born 7 Apr 1868 in Chadwicks, Oneida Co., NY and married Margaret Urtz in 1887.  They had 3 children...the middle one was ---

John Chadwick, b. 19 Mar 1890 in Chadwicks, Oneida Co., NY and married Bertha Thomas.  They had 3 children...the oldest was ----

John R Chadwick b. 25 Dec 1925.  He is a toddler in the photo with his father, grandfather and great-grandfather.

I would like to find out when the first John Chadwick immigrated to America, and who came with him (or if he came alone).  I would also like to find a birth/baptism record that agrees with the date I have for his birth.  I would like to know who his parents were, who were the sponsors at his baptism, and who his  siblings were.
Roberta K. Morrow
Edmonds, WA USA

Offline birdeekay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 29 January 15 22:07 GMT (UK) »
I have several John Chadwicks in my late husband's line.
The first is John Chadwick, born 5 Jan 1783 in (I believe) Oldham, Lancashire, ENGLAND.
He married Betsy Snow (as recorded in the Chadwick family bible), b. 26 Apr 1782 in Providence RI USA, I assume before 1810 when their first child was born.
So he immigrated sometime between 1783 and 1810.
They had 8 children: Sally, Betsey, Mary, John, Abrigail, Thomas, Jane and George.
John owned a mill in a town that was named Chadwicks after him in Oneida County, NY.  He died there 12 Mar 1858. His youngest son George took over the mill.

Their son John Chadwick was born 25 Nov 1815 in Chadwicks, Oneida Co. NY USA.  He married Jane Tarpenning. b.15 Sep 1821 in Cooperstown, Oswego Co., NY in 1839.  They had 9 children, according to Jane's obituary. (Jane's ancestory goes back to 1624 in New Netherland.)

Their son John "Melvin" Chadwick was born 13 Mar 1846.   He married twice.  He had 4 children with his first wife, Lavinia Linney.  John was the oldest.  His second wife was Margaret Shaw from Canada, b. 1860. They had one daughter, named Lavinia after his first wife, and she was the grandmother of my late husband. I have many photographs of John Melvin and Lavinia.  He died 13 Sep 1927 and I have a 4 generation photo of him and the next three John Chadwicks.

Back to his son John with his first wife.  He was born 7 Apr 1868 in Chadwicks, Oneida Co., NY and married Margaret Urtz in 1887.  They had 3 children...the middle one was ---

John Chadwick, b. 19 Mar 1890 in Chadwicks, Oneida Co., NY and married Bertha Thomas.  They had 3 children...the oldest was ----

John R Chadwick b. 25 Dec 1925.  He is a toddler in the photo with his father, grandfather and great-grandfather.

I would like to find out when the first John Chadwick immigrated to America, and who came with him (or if he came alone).  I would also like to find a birth/baptism record that agrees with the date I have for his birth.  I would like to know who his parents were, who were the sponsors at his baptism, and who his  siblings were.
Roberta K. Morrow
Edmonds, WA USA

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 29 January 15 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Possible baptism  from Lancsopc
Baptism 6 Jul 1783 St Mary, Oldham, Lancashire, England
John Chadwick  Son of Jonathan Chadwick & Betty, his wife
    Abode Falkenhurst
    Occupation Weaver
    Register Baptisms 1766 - 1792, Page 113, Entry 35
     LDS Film 1656161

http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Search/indexp.html
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline birdeekay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 29 January 15 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the quick reply.  That date works.  Would it have been customary to baptize a baby at 6 months in England?

Offline elzabels

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 30 January 15 00:36 GMT (UK) »
This looks like the marriage

Marriage: 19 May 1783
St Mary the Virgin, Blackburn, Lancashire, England
John Chadwick  Weaver, Blackburn
Betty Shaw  Spinster, Blackburn
Witnesses  Peter Nevill; Thomas Astley
Married by Banns by: B. Willock, Curate
Register: Marriages 1778 - 1784, Page 240, Entry 713
LDS Film 1278806

Did you know you can order the films through familysearch? Click on the world on the opening page to llocate a centre near to you The marriage film you need is LDS Film 1278806

How do you know John was baptised in the Oldham area?

Offline Jack-a-Lyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 30 January 15 02:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Birdeekay,

Nice to meet another Chadwick researcher.  The family you are researching do not seem to link into my family tree.  My Chadwicks were all born in the Kirkham area rather than Oldham.  My family were also in the building trade not weaving/milling.  I have only researched direct maternal and paternal bloodlines in depth (with some siblings but not their marriages) to make research more manageable at this point.  There could be a possible link via cousins or uncles way back but having a check with the names and dates you have supplied I can't find a direct link in that timeframe with what data I have.  Chadwick was a very popular surname.
From what I have researched my ancestors migrated to Australia.

I found the website http://www.lan-opc.org.uk extremely helpful and from that resource I ordered the films from Family Search.  I was amazed at how many Chadwicks there were and had to do a lot of cross referencing using names, places and occupations to establish a definite relative.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.  Good luck with your research   :)

Jack-a-lyn

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 30 January 15 08:15 GMT (UK) »
There were no hard and fast rules as to when a baptism took place, it could be anytime and was usually up to the parents. :)
As Jack-a-lyn said there are lots of Chadwicks and the baptism that I gave you is only a possible  but if you think it' s correct then you will find more children born to this couple on the web link we gave you.
There are a couple of other marriages which I think are a better fit given that there are some earlier baptisms for children born to a Jonathan and Betty. You have probably found them by now so I don't think I need to print them. ;)
Good luck with it. :)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk