Author Topic: William Henry Pentland 1870 - 1916  (Read 9825 times)

Offline AirtinHame

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Henry Pentland 1870 - 1916
« on: Sunday 01 July 12 07:50 BST (UK) »
I have read this board extensively over the past few hours and find myself even more confused than before so hope someone out there can help. William Henry died in the Battle of The Somme, that much is clear frpm the Banbridge War Memorial which records him as
Pentland William H; Private Royal Irish Fusiliers, Mary Street and the CWGC website confirmed his age as 45 and that he is commemorated on a memorial in France.

One researcher seemed to suggest he was the son of George Pentland and Ann Miller who are buried in Tandragee and another that he is buried in Mullavilly.

The Civil Birth Records appear to show his date of Birth as 27 May 1871; Name William Pentland, Gender Male, Fathers Name George Pentland Mothers Forenames Annie Mothers Maiden Name Hara Civil District Lurgan Sub District Portadown County Armagh Birthplace 815, Portadown, Arm, IRE which suggest the researcher above has misinterpreted the situation.

The burial reports and the apparent extract from local records, however, do not match the 1871 census which appears to show the family in Aldershot and William Henry's birthplace as Hants/Aldershot. He repeated this assertion when he was recorded with his wife in the 1911 census.

Since William Henry was reported by his father to be five months old when the census was taken on 2nd April 1871 he cannot be the William Henry in the above extract. As he died in France he cannot be buried in Ireland.

His mother's Christian name seems to be universally acclaimed as Annie but was her surname Hara, O'Hara or Miller?. His father was also generally accepted as George Pentland but here things appear confused again. According to the census George was in Aldershot in 1871 but according to the website Tandragee-online he was elsewhere:

George Pentland, 2nd Bn., Cheshire Regiment, was born in Ireland about 1829.  In 1851 he was stationed in Mauritania, Africa; in 1870 at Aldershot; and in 1871 at the Regiment’s Headquarters at Chester Castle.  His wife Ann, who was also born in Ireland, died in 1876.  George died in 1893, aged 64, and he is buried in Mullavilly Parish churchyard.  One of his sons, William Henry, was killed in action during the First World War..

Any help clearing the murk would be much appreciated.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Henry Pentland 1870 - 1916
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 July 12 10:42 BST (UK) »
Just a few thoughts-

What's listed as father's occupation on 1871 birth certificate?

Are there marriage records for George Pentland and Ann Hara?

It's possible that he was commemorated on a headstone in Ireland but not actually buried in that place.

For reference here's the 1911 census entry-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Armagh/Carrowbrack/Killycomain/298181/

Where was William Henry Pentland in 1901?

Have you found George Pentland and family in census records after 1871?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 July 12 12:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   George Pentland married Ann O'HARA in Seagoe Church of Ireland, Lurgan on 15 Mar 1850.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 July 12 22:49 BST (UK) »

There was a William Pentland born to father George and mother Annie Hard (possibly mistranscribed?) on the 27th May 1871 and baptised on the 2nd June 1871, the address was Killicomaine, Portadown, County Armagh.  Critically, father George's occupation was given as weaver.

Offline aljepeka

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 July 12 00:41 BST (UK) »
There is a headstone in Mullavilly church which states that Ann Pentland died 8th July 1876 aged 45, her husband George died at Ballylisk on the 25th March 1893. The headstone also states that their son, W H Pentland died on the 1st July 1916, aged 45. There are another three people listed on the stone, Elizabeth Whiteside died 1940, Samuel Redpath  died 1931 and an Olive Redpath died 1957. 

Even though WH Pentland is listed on the stone it does not mean he is buried here it does not say 'interred' - the stone only says Sacred to the memory of....

Hope this helps,

Aljepeka
HARVEY-Drumnagoon/Seagoe/Portadown
McMURRAY,GIBSON,FITZSIMMONS-Crossmacaughley/Crossmacahilly/Moyraverty/Portadown
WOODS-Knocknamuckley/Portadown
CARDWELL,MORELAND-Dromore/Dromara/Waringstown
BOWEN-Tipperary
FREEBURN-Tartaraghan/Drumcree/Derrylard/Portadown

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 July 12 04:54 BST (UK) »
With regard to the 1911 census entry for William Henry Pentland, a likely marriage record is one on the 14th January 1908 in St Mark's Church of Ireland Portadown to Mary Anne Whitten, both his and her address given as Mary St. Portadown, his father recorded as George Pentland, a weaver.

BTW, in respect of the previous 27th May 1871 birth record for a William Pentland, I should add that father George was the informant...

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 July 12 07:47 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   It is quite usual to find that men who died in WW1 and are buried in France/Belgium are commemmorated on their parents' headstone. Two of my uncles and a cousin of theirs are commemorated in the graveyard of Dungiven Parish church but my uncles bodies were never identified and lie somewhere in France.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Alegou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 June 13 18:14 BST (UK) »
There are two records for a George Pentland marriage to an Ann that I know of. One to Ann O'Hara in 1850, the other to an Ann Millar in 1852.
The Elizabeth Whitside lady already mentioned was born in Malta in 1862, daughter of George and Ann Pendleton, George was in the 2nd. Battalion, 22nd regiment. It would appear that Elizabeth had a son, for some unknown reason, with surname Pentland, he was called Joshua and I quote, "Private Joshua Pentland, 16424, Royal Irish Fusiliers, from Church View Terrace, Mullavilly, served in both World Wars.  He served in France from 4 October 1915.  On 27 March 1918 he was captured by the Germans and held as a POW until the end of the war.  During the 1920s he served as an Instructor to the 'B' Specials and was stationed at Poyntzpass, Tyrones Ditches, Tandragee and Clare.  He later emigrated to Canada but returned home in 1934 after 5 years.  He died in 1974, aged 84."
Elizabeth Whiteside had a brother also born in Malta, Thomas James Pentland, born 1863.
There was a George Pentland who was stationed in Mauritania in 1851, so it is rather unlikely that this George was the same Georges who married the two Anns in 1850 and 1852.
Perhaps the above George was just another army George Pentland and with no direct connection to the other two Georges above.

David

Offline worldlywanderer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 June 13 07:45 BST (UK) »
"There are two records for a George Pentland marriage to an Ann that I know of. One to Ann O'Hara in 1850, the other to an Ann Millar in 1852."

So far as I can see there were two Georges. The second married Ann Millar in Kilmore Co. Down in 1853 but nothing more is known of this couple.

The Pentland O'Hara marriage, however, is documented.

"The Elizabeth Whitside lady already mentioned was born in Malta in 1862, daughter of George and Ann Pendleton, George was in the 2nd. Battalion, 22nd regiment. It would appear that Elizabeth had a son, for some unknown reason, with surname Pentland, he was called Joshua ..."

I think the reason Joshua was a Pentland is the oldest known to man - his mother and father failed to marry.

"There was a George Pentland who was stationed in Mauritania in 1851"

I'd be very interested to hear more about the source of this information.