Author Topic: william ward, bushey.  (Read 11232 times)

Offline jtas

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: william ward, bushey.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 02 July 12 19:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Ray

I did some further research after my posting and the Williamson births for the Wards are actually Jessie`s sister Mabel Williamson who married Daniel Ward in 1903 , so that eliminates that problem. It also confirms that Jessie  married Mr Chapman and she can be found on the 1911 census at home with her widowed mother in Rickmansworth.

The problem is this leaves Gertrude Lowe as the supposed wife of William Ward, but i still cant locate them in the 1911 census, i assume if this is correct maybe her middle name was jessie and she used that instead of Gertrude.
Is there anyone else related to either party who can help with this problem, is anyone going over to hertford that could double check the Electoral Rolls for the 1920`s-1930 for Rosenbery Road as it may give further clues.

Thank you for your help,

Jackie

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 July 12 07:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Jackie

"Rosenbery / Rosenbury Road"
As you have spelled it in different ways, may I ask where have you got this piece of info from?

I think that you may mean "Rosebery Road"
which can (now) be found off School Lane off Sparrows Herne

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline jtas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 04 July 12 10:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Ray

Sorry about my spelling, yes that is the road and my dad and his brother said that is where they lived. I also checked in the Kelly street directory and that confimed they lived at number 7. I am starting to wonder if perhaps Jessie was not her first name, my grandmother was christened Lydia but she was known as Eva. I have tried all sorts of combinations on Findmypast to try and locate them in the 1911 census but to no avail. Have you got access to Ancestry as their is someone with a possible match.
Look forward to hearing from you soon.

jackie

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 04 July 12 11:36 BST (UK) »

1914 Kelly's lists 3xWmWard in Watford.

W Ward, Builder, ENSOR & WARD
W Ward, Tobacconist, 189 High Street

W A Ward, Apartments, 1 Gladstone Road

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 04 July 12 14:58 BST (UK) »
Jackie

I have access to Ancestry if you want something checked, but I think in a case like this, where there is obviously some confusion about who exactly is related to who, then certificates are the only way you can go.

Antony

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 04 July 12 15:59 BST (UK) »

;D

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 04 July 12 16:12 BST (UK) »
Apologies, I have removed the 1911 reference to William/Gertrude.

William Ward and Gertrude Lowe are the other couple mentioned on the 1910 marriage record at Watford (Q3 vol 3A p1726), previously referred to.

Offline jtas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 04 July 12 22:39 BST (UK) »
hi AnthonyM
MM

On freebmd there is another match on the page q3 vol3A p17726 of a mr greenman , i think that this is the person who married Gertude, Jessie williamson definitely married Mr.Chapman,they are on the 1911 census with her mother at Rickmansworth. That just leaves William Ward without a match. Is there any William J ward with a wife Jessie on Ancestry. I have tried various combinations but i dont seem to be able to find them in the 1911 census. My grandfather Arthur william Ward born 1908 ,changed his name around when he got married in 1929 and then on my dad`s wedding certificate he is back to being arthur.

Thank you for your help

Jackie

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 05 July 12 01:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Jackie

The Mr Greenman on the BMD index is possibly a mistake as he was married in Hemel Hempstead, could be a transcription error on the page number.

I have been doing a bit of digging around & I think I may have found your William & Jessie's marriage although not in 1910. :) Stick with me & I'll try to explain.

A William Ward married Jessie Frost March qtr 1919 Watford, 3a 1430.

From the info you have already given with regard to Jessie's death her birth would be 1888/89 so I checked out any Jessie's born about then in Bushey. I found a Jessie Gascoigne born c1889 in Bushey on the 1901 census, parents Thomas & Sarah.

I then found what I thought could be her marriage to a George James Frost Sept qtr 1907 Watford 3a 1672.

Hopefully you should be able to find James & Jessie Frost in the 1911.

Thinking perhaps James Frost had died I checked the CWGC site in case he had died during WW1.

http://www.cwgc.org/search-for-war-dead/casualty/750324/FROST,%20JAMES%20GEORGE

Fingers crossed the link works & you can see that he died in 1916 on the Somme & his wife was Jessie of 7 Rosebery Road Bushey.

Hope this all fits with your info, now we just have to find William Ward born c1874 & your Grandfather Arthur William Ward. :-\

Would you by any chance know if Arthur William had any siblings.

Maddie

Beament, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Canada, USA.
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire
Warrell/Worrel, Bucks & Herts
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk