Author Topic: DNA Testing - Y DNA  (Read 19072 times)

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • "Family ~ link to our past, bridge to our future"
    • View Profile
DNA Testing - Y DNA
« on: Monday 02 July 12 18:44 BST (UK) »
Hi All :)

I'd welcome some thoughts, please :)

Since our male line is an illegitimate one, and we were hoping to establish that the ancestors who we thought were ours really were ours, we decided on a Y DNA test (42 places). I'm female, so my brother took the test.

And I am now somewhat confused.

The person with whom I had hoped to compare genes is no longer in touch and cannot be contacted.

The 'results' I get from publishing our DNA on Family History sites hasn't yet proved to be very helpful.

The site I originally used, 'DNA Heritage', has closed and transferred their customers to 'Family Tree DNA', who want me to 'update' ~ ie spend more money to have the test done that I thought I had already paid for.

I have also published my info on Ancestry.

When we had the test done, there was much talk of Y DNA going with surnames. However, while I have found some distant matches, I see no coincidental surnames.

On FTDNA, this could well be because the close relationships seem to have been 20+ generations ago, when surnames were rare.

But on Ancestry, the close relationships seem to have been 7 - 15 generations ago, when they were not so rare.

I feel that I have a very useful resource here, but I don't really know what to do with it ~ in spite of reading up on the subject.

I think that I should ~ and probably will ~ contact all these people, who seem to have been related to me, up to 20+ generations ago, but I would also like to discuss this subject with someone knowledgeable, and get some additional input on the subject.

Any thought please?

Thank you! :)

Also, would it be possible to have a 'DNA' section in the forum, I wonder, please? :)
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones
Birmingham: Neale Sarjant Cole Hiley Berridge Tirebuck

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DNA Testing - Y DNA
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 July 12 18:57 BST (UK) »
You can focus on matches in a shorter timeframe if you upgrade the test at FTDNA. Suggest you take a look at their forum for more advice.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 July 12 20:01 BST (UK) »
 ;D

Have you uploaded your data to the gedmatch website - there are hundreds of people over there and the comparison tools gives results that can be very interesting.

Liz

PS Google should have the site as the first hit.
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 July 12 22:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Craclyn :)

Thanks. I'll take a look at their forum.

But, I felt that, having already paid for one test, I was loathe to pay, again, just for just a few different / additional markers, especially as I was about to order a test for another damily line.
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 July 12 22:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Gataki,

I'll have a look at that site.
I may find some more / closer matches :)

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 July 12 22:37 BST (UK) »
I do have another question about DNA tests, but will start a new thread, after I have checked out this info a bit further :)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 July 12 12:42 BST (UK) »
There is information on the FTDNA website about customers transferring from DNA Heritage - see FAQs # 1 & #3 on this page....

http://www.familytreedna.com/faq/answers.aspx?id=40#1559

What they are basically saying is that the FREE transfer will only equate to a 25-marker test after transfer (see FAQ #5).   You can then upgrade to 37 or 67 marker test at a discounted price.

FamilyTreeDNA do allow Y-DNA searches based on surnames, if required.
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 July 12 12:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick :)

Thank you!

I don't know how I missed that! :)

Very helpful!

It is annoying to have paid extra for a higher number of markers, only to find that I need to pay out yet more for different markers ~ especially when I have other lines to research :(

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 July 12 12:52 BST (UK) »
Well, DNA testing is always a risky business..... I tested 9 months ago, but as yet, not a single 'bite'  :)

Still, the more people who test, the better our chances of a match become  8)
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.