Author Topic: Camghouran  (Read 14636 times)

Offline Throth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Camghouran
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 03 July 12 21:46 BST (UK) »
Here's an odd one -

Do you have 'Elgin' as a female forename in your family?
There is another stone which might be of interest.

Alex Cameron, da Elgin 1800 10

(This is next to another one for Elgin Cameron who died at Carie in 1948)

Get back to us on the borenich website if we can be of further assistance.

Throth (www.borenich.co.uk)

P.S. The NGR is NN553565 if you are using the 1st Ed. 6" OS at the NLS

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 July 12 10:38 BST (UK) »
Throth, might this not be "died at Elgin"?

Skoosh.

Offline Throth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 04 July 12 17:29 BST (UK) »
Don't think so .............

Second MI reads

Elgin Cameron d Easter Carie 18.7.1948 68, da of Duncan C. & Christina McNaughton

Throth

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 04 July 12 20:05 BST (UK) »
There is an Elgin , don't know yet if one of my lot and there is an OPR marraige for an Elgin with those parents on SP.

Ann :D
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 04 July 12 22:50 BST (UK) »
 Could be worse,  Ballachulish! 

Skoosh.

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 08 November 12 03:59 GMT (UK) »
I at last got a copy of the relevant pages of the book recommended by Throth - courtesy of the Scottish Genie Society in Edinburgh. :D

Now the next trick is working out which was which as there were quite a few of them. I'm quite taken by the rebellious bit - especially on my mum's side cos I thought they were all good boys and girls til I started researching! How wrong can you be! :o

Am finding this extremly interesting cos I just thought they were all weavers - apparently not!

Ann ;)

Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline jock m

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 21:52 BST (UK) »
Hi All
As a native of the Braes of Rannoch, I can confirm that there is a Clan Cameron burial ground at Camghouran.   
The burial ground is located about half way along the straight stretch of road and is about 200 meters of the main road towards the loch. There is a small track that leads towards the gates of grounds.
Hope this helps
Jock

Offline susanscottbrouillard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 11 April 14 02:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Is there anyone on this site who can help me with information on my family?  For years I researched my ancestor Archibald Scott born in 1765 in Old Castleton, Roxburghshire, Scotland in the Borders region, but found no leads at all.  Just recently I found that he actually came from Camghouran!!!  Does anyone have any information on the Scott family from Camghouran?  Archibald was born there in 1765 and came to America before 1783.  Supposedly his father's name was John Scott (1741-1792) and his mother was Margaret Duncan (1743-1794).  I have name and dates all the way back to 1560, but no other information at all.  Can anyone provide any further info to me?  Any help would be most appreciated.  Thank you, Susan Scott Brouillard

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 11 April 14 12:06 BST (UK) »
 The name Scott is about right for a Border shepherd moving to Perthshire, replacing evicted tenants at the start of the Highland Clearances, which lasted until the 1880's.

Skoosh.