Author Topic: Bell history  (Read 6139 times)

Offline minto77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bell history
« on: Tuesday 03 July 12 14:59 BST (UK) »
Looking for any information on Arthur Elliot Bell and John Hogg Bell born in Hawick sons of Arthur Bell and Helen Hogg moved to Callander early 1900s Arthur Elliot died in 1959 at Bridge of Allan.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Bell history
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 July 12 15:45 BST (UK) »
Hi

Can you include birthyears for the boys please?

When did Arthur and Helen marry

If all events were after 1901 - have you checked the 1911 census which is available on a pay per view basis from Scotlands People

The 1901 has a Bell family in Callander  but father was James although mother was Helen.  Helen was born in Hawick

However - son Arthur Bell aged 13 was born in England although John 12 was b Hawick

Did they have sisters called Janet & Margaret?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 July 12 17:38 BST (UK) »
Hi all ,

Scotlandspeople has a marriage for James Bell and Helen Hogg 1886 Hawick Roxburgh
Can't see a marriage for Arthur Bell / Helen Hogg in Scotland

FreeBMD has an Arthur Elliot Bell birth 3rd Quarter 1887 Newcastle T.

That might tie in with everything Carole has found

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline minto77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 July 12 18:27 BST (UK) »
Hi CaroleW and ev Thanks for reply.
You picked the correct family in census ie James Bell and Helen Hogg married 12 Dec 1886. Moved to England then Callender two sons Arthur Elliot Bell and John Hogg Bell born 1887 and 1888/9.
I have all the Birth, Marriage and death for Arthur Elliot Bell but I can onkly find birth records for John Hogg Bell. What I realy need is details of any children of these two brothers.
As regards sisters I have no record of any. However Janet was a family name being the name of James Bells Mother. On the family gravestone in Hawick there is a Margaret (Maggie) who I assumed died in infancy since the date of late 1886/8 I never found out who she was as no record exists on James elder brother(Also Arthur Bell) family. Janet however is News to me  and Margaret possibly.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 July 12 19:06 BST (UK) »
This is the 1901 entry I mentioned

James Bell 39 gas manager b Teviothead Parish, Roxburghshire
Helen  37 b Hawick, Roxburghshire
Arthur  13 b England
John   12 b Hawick
Janet 7   ditto
Margaret H  4  ditto
Callander ED 1 Page 9 Line 3

Have you checked the 1911 census to see whether John was single or married at that time?  Was Arthur married before 1911?

Tracing any children of Arthur & John post 1911 may be difficult as I understand SP does not allow a birth search using mothers maiden name which would help to narrow it down
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline minto77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 July 12 19:35 BST (UK) »
Hi again CaroleW Thanks again ...I missed the two sisters since 1901 census covers two pages. This a great help however every question answered raises more. The Margaret(Maggie) on the Hawick gravestone is not the daughter of James Bell so I still dont know who she was. Nevertheless your info is of great assistance.
For the record  Arthur, John Janet and Margaret are a cousins to my father (also an Arthur Elliot Bell) Yet I know nothing about them except a few dates ie BMD. I will keep looking Thanks again.

Offline weesandib

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 August 14 09:13 BST (UK) »
Hi

Not sure if you are still researching this but came across your post while doing a wee internet search for my grandfather John Hogg Bell.  I know he had a brother Arthur and came from Callender so I'm thinking its the same person.

John moved to Northern Ireland to manage a gas works and married Hester Haughey.  They had five sons, the youngest of which is my Dad.  The sons are Hector Patterson Bell, James Hogg Bell, John Lucas Bell, Anthony Haughey Bell, and Desmond Martin Bell. 

I'm not sure of dates or anything, but i'm sure my dad will know more if you are interested.

Hope this helps.

Offline minto77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 00:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the info re John Hogg Bell   This is perfect if you can provide any dates of Birth Marriage or death this would be very very helpful . I have search for him for some time.
Any info re his Brothers or sister. I have all the info on Arthur Elliot Bell Johns brother.

Johns father (James Bell) was my grandfathers brother.
My grandfather was Arthur Elliot Bell
My father was Arthur Elliot Bell
I am Arthur Elliot Bell
My son is Arthur Elliot Bell
His son is also Arthur Elliot Bell

Again your info is great. If you can fill in any gaps this would brill
In return if you require any information let me know
Regards  Minto77

Offline weesandib

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 14:40 BST (UK) »
Had a quick chat with my dad and i've emailed him for the details requested.  Will get back in touch asap.