Author Topic: Twose family from wellington  (Read 7521 times)

Offline Heatherm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Twose family from wellington
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 April 15 00:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Karl

My mother in laws name was Nancy Twose (she's now Laurie), she is the last of her siblings who were called Elizabeth (Betty), Reene, Mansel and David

I think traced Edwin back to the workhouse in Wellington, have we got the same Edwin in common?

Heather

Offline Thom123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 April 15 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather,

I am pretty sure we have the same Edwin in common, Edwin was in the workhouse in 1871 aged ten, he came from a weaving family in Wellington, Somerset, but looks like his parents died when he was young, he married Elizabeth Penny who was from Langport in Somerset.

Luckily there is quite a bit of info on the various sites on the Twose family, there are some family trees on the more popular sites which are good.

I still have some family in South Wales, (Nelson).

How long have you been researching?

Karl.

Offline Heatherm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 April 15 23:50 BST (UK) »
I've been dipping in and out of family history for years now for my family and now my husbands family.
I can't seem to find Edwin's parents death records but I know they were Henry and Mary Twose living in Wellington
Today I think I found his parents Jno Tooze (different spelling) married to Mary Tooze living in Wellington they had a son Henry Tooze and a couple of other sons.
Computer records get a bit patchy before 1841 so I think I will have to visit Wellington for more information.
I could be completely on the wrong track but I wanted to get some information for my mother in law....she's 87 and not in great health so wanted to cheer her up a bit.
Is your family in nelson still Twose?

Heather

Offline Thom123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 April 15 19:17 BST (UK) »
Earlier on in this thread a lady called Carol posted a reply to me with possible dates for Edwins parents deaths, (Deaths June quarter 1868-Henry Twose aged 60-Wellington Somerset 5C 225. Deaths December quarter 1868-Mary Ann Twose aged 54-Wellington Somerset 5C 253.) I haven't investigated these yet, but it looks like our Edwins parents.

My family in Nelson have a different surname now, they are the children of my my Great Grandmothers sister and lost the Twose surname when she married.

Where abouts in South Wales are you?

A trip to Wellington would be interesting, the parish records from there might be a good idea too.

Do you have a birth or Marriage certificate for Thomas? This would confirm Edwin as his Father and confirm you are on the right track.

Say hello to Nancy for me when you see her next, and tell her a distant relation wishes her all the best  :)

Karl.

Offline Heatherm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 April 15 22:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Karl

We live in Aberdare just around the corner and up the hill from Nelson. I used to live in Cwmaman and know the street well that Edwin's family lived in. In fact Nancy was born in Glanaman road so we haven't moved far from the ancestoral pile....lol

One of the reasons I've just got back into family history is because my husband and I were in Wellington last Sunday looking at motorhomes and he didn't realise that his family are from there. It's a really pretty place.

I haven't any certificates only what I can print off the computer.

I wonder what/how Henry and Mary died...poor Edwin ending up in the workhouse, but on the positive he got out, albeit to go and work underground but those workhouses were pretty grim places.

Heather.

Offline Thom123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 16 April 15 17:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather,

nice to hear you are still in Aberdare. My Fathers parents left Wales to find work in the West Midlands, which is where I am living now. We visit Nelson quite regularly, last time we combined our visit with a trip to Caswell Bay which was beautiful.

In the 1901 census, my Great Grandmother (Beatrice May Twose) was living at 120 Glanaman rd, and in 1911 at 117 Glanaman Rd.

Not sure how Edwins parents died. It sounds like Edwin went through a very rough time, at such a young age too. I'm glad he came through it, he must have been a strong character.

Karl.

Offline Heatherm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 20 April 15 08:30 BST (UK) »
Morning Karl

I had a chat with my mother in law on the weekend about the Twose family. She remembers your great gran and grandad she called them aunty Beat and uncle Gus, they lived in Woodland Terrace, Godreaman, Aberdare........it's still there.
She also remembers Edwin and Elizabeth having a shop in Glanaman Road but this must be later than the 1911 Census. My mother is from Cwmaman too and she remembers the shop too.
It seems the only one to escape Aberdare was your Beatrice the rest stayed in and around Cwmaman.
I was searching on the Internet on the weekend and I found "transcripts of St John's, Wellington,Somerset,Parish Registers" have you seen this.....it's got loads of Twose and a family of Tooze 1790 so he could be the first one and then they spelt his name differently on other census?  Has anyone ever said in your family that they think they came from Germany??????? Nancy seems to recall that.

Happy searching

Heather x

Offline Thom123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 20 April 15 20:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather,

it's great Nancy remembers my Gt Grandparents! When my Gt Grandfather Gus Finn was 16, he was at number 5 Woodland Terrace, living with his Grandparents, (my Gt GT Gt Grandparents), I would like to visit the area one day. My Grandfather also lived in the street at the time he married my Nan in 1935.
I wonder what sort of shop Edwin and Elizabeth had?
I have noticed various spellings of Twose on the census records too, one even said Groose ;D but I could tell from the children's name's that they were the Twose family. I did look at the parish registers before but couldn't see much, I will definitely look again now, thanks.
If I am correct, Edwin's Mother was Mary Ann Scott.
Edwin's wife, Elizabeth had the Maiden name Penny, I wonder if Nancy remembers her surname.
I have never heard of a German connection, did Nancy mean the Twose family?
If you can send me a private message with your email address, I will send you a photo of my Gt Grandparents Beat and Gus if you like.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Karl X

Offline Heatherm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 08 May 15 18:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Karl
Sorry it's been a while.

I haven't done anything on this since we last spoke. My email is heathermarsh61@gmail.com
If I find any photos in my mother in laws I will send them on to you.  Nancy will enjoy seeing pics of her aunt beatie and uncle Gus

Heather x