Author Topic: George WRIGHT of Wakefield  (Read 4031 times)

Offline Ande

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
George WRIGHT of Wakefield
« on: Thursday 05 July 12 06:17 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone

Hmm, where to start. I think I will work my way backwards!
I have the WRIGHT family that end up in South Australia. They came across on ship Stag, 7th February 1850 / Plymouth 22nd February 1850, arrived at Port Adelaide, South Australia 11th June 1850.

Wright    George    40    Carpenter  - Yorks.    
     Mary    39                   
     George    16                   
     John    14                   
     Francis    11                   
     Jesse    5                   
     William    3                   
     Harry    inf    

From this information I went back and believe I found the right family on the 1841 census, living at Wakefield in Yorkshire. Except George was a bricklayer, rather than a carpenter as stated on the immigration record.

George Wright    30
Mary Wright    30
Jane Wright    14
George Wright    7
John Wright    5
Frank Wright    3
James Wright    7 Mo

Jane, the eldest daughter, married a man, who also happened to be another Wright, called John Wright, and they immigrated to Australia shortly after the rest of the family on the Fatima from London 17th January 1850 / Plymouth 13th February 1850, arrived at Port Adelaide, South Australia 11th June 1850.

On the 1841 census it says that George and Mary Wright were NOT born in Yorkshire. I guess they could have still been married there, though. I don't know. This is what I'm looking to find out - Mary's maiden name, where/when they married. Ideally I'd love to know where George was born.

I found a birth for George that I thought could be likely. His son, George Jnr, is later in life known as George William Wright, so perhaps George Snr was called that, too? I don't really know a way of confirming/disproving this.
George William Wright

Baptism    11 Jul 1813
Father   Charles Wright
Mother   Mary Wright
Parish   Woolwich St Mary Magdalene
   Greenwich

Again, I found two potential marriages for George and Mary, and don't really know how to go about confirming or denying them.
   George Wright
and   Mary Ann Ringshall
   Marriage
   1 Aug 1825
   St Marylebone
    Westminster

OR
George Wright
Marriage or Bann Date:    26 Dec 1826
Parish:    Rothwell, Holy Trinity
Spouse   Mary Ann Crooks

Well, I think that's all! Thank you to anyone in advance who has a look at this. I hope it's not too confusing.
Ande.
xxx
JONES, HALL, CHACE, WRIGHT, CROCKER, NEPEAN, LAWRANCE, THORPE, ELLIOT, MORAN, all in South Australia. STÄRKE, SCHOLZ/SHOLZ in Prussia and South Australia. WATERS, FOWLER, INCE, MEARS, LLOYD, TRUSTER and COOPER in England (mainly Surrey). FRANKORT, LEUNISSEN, MUIJRERS, BROURERS, GORISSEN, DAMOISEAUX and LAHAYE/LAHIAJE in Limburg, Netherlands.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George WRIGHT of Wakefield
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 July 12 08:28 BST (UK) »
Hi
I think there may be too many straws being clutched here.  A marriage in London for a Yorkshire couple is not unheard of but unlikely I would think.  Bricklayer to carpenter is odd too.   Why don't you get a birth certificate for one of the children born after 1837?  That will give Mary's maiden name then at least you will know what marriage you are looking for.  www.freebmd.org.uk is a good site.
Have you got death certificates giving more information about them?
Regards
Andrea

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 July 12 08:51 BST (UK) »
In 1841 George is a Bricklayer Journeyman so quite skilled.  James is shown as 7 months so you may be able to pin down his birth and equally Harry is an infant in 1850 and there is a possible birth for him in Wakefield Dec 1849  vol 22 page 683.
Both the marriages you quote have the couple as very young - only mid teens. 
Given the large gap between Jane age 14 and George age 7 I wonder if she is not their child but a sister?  The 1841 does not show relationships.  Do you have her marriage certificate to show her father's name?
Just trying to look at this in different ways to see if we can solve it.
Andrea

Offline Ande

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 July 12 13:55 BST (UK) »
I knew I forgot something. I have some births for the children. Attached here Jane (who is a daughter, not a sister, though it was a good theory!), George, Frank and Jesse. I believe I have a few others too, about the place. One for Harriet, Jane, John and Mary. My friend and I could not find one for James, no matter how we searched. You will notice the earlier children were born in Leeds, and the later children born in Wakefield.

I don't have any certificates. I can't actually afford to buy any at the moment so I will have to make do without them.
I have a theory about the bricklayer to carpenter thing - perhaps Australia was in need of carpenters, so George wrote down that he was one in order to come out here. Surely he'd know some of the trade, having worked on building sites. Or perhaps he returned to bricklaying as soon as he got here.
JONES, HALL, CHACE, WRIGHT, CROCKER, NEPEAN, LAWRANCE, THORPE, ELLIOT, MORAN, all in South Australia. STÄRKE, SCHOLZ/SHOLZ in Prussia and South Australia. WATERS, FOWLER, INCE, MEARS, LLOYD, TRUSTER and COOPER in England (mainly Surrey). FRANKORT, LEUNISSEN, MUIJRERS, BROURERS, GORISSEN, DAMOISEAUX and LAHAYE/LAHIAJE in Limburg, Netherlands.

Offline Ande

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 July 12 14:09 BST (UK) »
I hate to do this, but, nudge.

Offline Gil Wright

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 October 17 01:06 BST (UK) »
I am also interested in George (assuming this is the right / WRIGHT George)...

Left Yorkshire and went to South Australia, arrived 1850.
George died 1882 in Goolwa. Wife Mary died 1880 at Goolwa.
A number of the family became very involved in the Salvation Army.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 October 17 02:13 BST (UK) »
Hi the new GRO Index helps to identify the maiden name of the mother so:-

Frank Wright June qtr 1838 Leeds mmn Crooks
Harry Wright Dec qtr 1849 Wakefield mmn Crooks

And a few more:-
James Crookes Wright Dec qtr 1840 Wakefield mmn CROOKES
Jesse Wright June qtr 1845 Wakefield mmn CROOKES
William Wright March qtr 1847 Wakefield mmn CROOKES

So the marriage George Wright to Mary Ann Crooks 26th December 1826 Rothwell, Holy Trinity seems to concern the 1841 family?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gil Wright

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 October 17 02:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you. That eliminates the other possibilities I had.