Author Topic: County Monaghan to Massachusetts  (Read 3577 times)

Offline AnnieMae

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
County Monaghan to Massachusetts
« on: Friday 06 July 12 07:41 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know of any "schemes" from 1800's to 1850's where families from County Monaghan were assisted to travel to Massachusetts, USA.

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
Re: County Monaghan to Massachusetts
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 July 12 08:03 BST (UK) »
Many of the poor unions paid for families to go to the USA.

The trustees paid into the fund to help finance the emigration of the poor to America.  My husband's 3xggrandfather was a on the board of trustees for Killmallock in Co Limerick and I have found minutes of meetings listing how much each trustee paid into the fund.  Our ancestor died in 1814, and that is the last set of meeting notes I saved but I expect the poor unions carried on the financing of sending the poor to America for a long time after that.

I would expect other poor unions in other counties to have provided similar funding, most families travelled to places where they already had some kind of connection, family or friends who had already made the move.

Hope that helps

ps I seem to recall a database online somewhere which listed families who took up the poor law funding but frustratingly I can't remember where I saw it now as I never found any family members on the list, I didn't save it. Maybe other RC'ers might know it.
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline AnnieMae

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 July 12 13:03 BST (UK) »
Dear jc26red,

Many thanks for your information and response.

Annie.

Offline Polly Lynn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Harrison
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 September 16 13:41 BST (UK) »
AnnieMae

I am not sure there was an emigration scheme during the Great Hunger (1845-1849) from County Monaghan.  My relative, George Harrison, was on the Poor Law Union, and the last six years of researching the Harrisons I have not run across a scheme to pay for people from County Monaghan to go to North America. 

What was common at the time was one relative in America buying a passage or ticket and sending it back to a relative in Ireland. 

Before this time, so in the late 1700s (and before 1828), another way to get help on a ticket was to promise to be a servant.  The ticket was paid for in the U.S. and one served or was a servant for about 7 years to pay it off.

These were not schemes begun in County Monaghan, but were paid for in the U.S., so the money originated there.

Hope this helps. 
Harrison

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 September 16 13:59 BST (UK) »
Assisted Passages were paid from Shirley Estate too..

they are on Dippam website.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.