Author Topic: Emma Pascoe from Breage  (Read 7500 times)

Offline djpegg

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Emma Pascoe from Breage
« on: Friday 06 July 12 18:14 BST (UK) »
I would appreciate any comments or suggestions in my quest to find out what happened to Emma Pascoe and her father, Samuel Pascoe. Emma was born in 1856. I think it was in Breage but the baptism is not listed in the Breage parish records. Her parents were Samuel and Ann Johns. Both were born in 1818, he in Sithney and her in Breage. They were married in Breage in 1839. All three appeared on the 1861 census. Samuel was a copper miner who emigrated to Calumet, Mich, USA in 1866 or 67 with his family. Emma was on the passenger list. Samuel and Ann appeared on the 1870 US census. Emma, however, was missing. She re-appeared again in Cornwall when she married a William Pascoe (same surname) in Helston in 1873. William died in 1904 in Helston but i couldn't find a death/burial record for Emma. I would also like to know when Emma returned to Cornwall and if her parents died in the US or did they return to Cornwall later. I did see an Ann Pascoe on the 1891 census of Canada. She was listed as a 73 year old widow living in Hastings West, ONT. I wonder if Samuel died in US or Canada. Like to hear from anybody that could help solve this mystery. David

Offline Thamesite2017

• I have turned off all email notifications
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Emma Pascoe from Breage
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 July 12 18:15 BST (UK) »
strange that 3 of the first four children are baptised but  not the later ones?

Bye
Althea

1901 Emma and William are in Sithney
1911 with daughter Phoebe living with sister Mary B Pascoe..either Emma has died in Sithney 1901 t0 1911 or she has remarried??

Offline djpegg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 July 12 15:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Althea. Yes, it is strange that Emma seems to have been left out. I checked the Breage parish record but couldn't find her, although later information shows she was born in 1856. Her father, Samuel, was typical of the time. He was a copper miner who emigrated to the upper Michigan peninsula in the US. He did not appear to return to England but I haven't so far found a burial record. David

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 August 12 18:37 BST (UK) »
There is a possible death for Samuel here:  http://www.mfhn.com/houghton/rosscoll/rosshodeaths-pg2.html  His son William also appears to be on there.

There is an Ann Pasco who died in Hastings, Ontario on 26 Nov 1902 at age 84.  It looks like she was a widow and the information was William Pasco.

Offline djpegg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 August 12 19:41 BST (UK) »
sheeleyesq and Althea: Thanks for the information. Another source recently sent me the thread on the Houghton Cty, MI deaths. I am sure this Samuel and his son. Their ages were consistent with their birth dates. Samuel's parents had the correct names also. I don't know the cause of death but it could well be an accident in both father and son were involved. Mining has always been a dangerous occupation. I did see the death of an Ann Pasco in Canada and wondered if it was Ann Pascoe (nee Johns). The age relative to birth date is close. I guess the informant, William Pasco, was a grandson, the child of one of her daughters, maybe. Her son, William was not married at the time of his death.
I found Emma Pascoe on a New York passenger list in 1867. She traveled with her mother, and two siblings, Alfred and Jane. Emma was listed at 9 years old. That would put her birth date at 1858 instead of the 1856 that I had estimated from her later censuses. It appears the Emma returned to Cornwall after her father's death. She married a widower in Helston in 1873. He was 28 and she was only 15-17, depending on her birth date, 1856-1858. Her birth record is still a mystery. I found an Emma Jane Pascoe born in the Helston registration district in 1858 (I think Breage would have been in this district). I have no other indication her middle name was Jane but she did have a sister called Jane. This might be her. I have no record of her death. I know from local people that she lived quite a long time. Her husband died in 1904. She would have been only about 45 then. She might have remarried. i couldn't find an Emma Pascoe in the 1911 census. Once again, any help would be greatly appreciated. Regards David

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 August 12 20:02 BST (UK) »
These give Samuel & William's cause of death as fever - http://www.mdch.state.mi.us/gendisx/scripts/individual.asp?UniqueID=137534
http://www.mdch.state.mi.us/gendisx/scripts/individual.asp?UniqueID=137533

So maybe it was an illness that was going around, like the flu.

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 August 12 02:36 BST (UK) »
Just something odd about the births of the children in the 1881 household.

Sophia Pascoe is shown as aged 4, and Emma as aged 5.

Sophia's birth seems to have been registered in Dec quarter 1855 in Helston reg dist (which did cover Breage). So her age was somewhat out in the 1861: she would have been 5, not 4.

Alfred also seems to have his age understated by a year: he was aged 8, and so likely the birth registered in Mar quarter 1862 in Redruth reg dist (which covered Camborne), which would mean he had turned 9.

If Emma were one of the Emmas registered in Helston in Sep quarter 1858 (there were two: Emma J and Emma Jane), that would make her younger than Sophia by 3 years, and aged 2 in 1861, not older by a year and aged 5. Really the only way to sort out whether one of those births is your Emma is to see one or both certificates.

For the Pascoes in Hastings County, Ontario, in 1901, Anne Pascoe, widowed, born in England on 15 August 1818, had immigrated to Canada in 1842. She was the mother of William P Pascoe, born in 1851 in Ontario.

So these are not your Pascoes, I'm afraid.

http://automatedgenealogy.com/census/ViewFrame.jsp?id=54542&highlight=25
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline djpegg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 October 12 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Janey. I agree, Emma Pascoe is a bit of a mystery. I do know that she lived to an old age probably in Ashton, Cornwall, but don't know when. Her husband, William Pascoe, died in 1904 in Sithney (nr Helston). She might have re-married since she was quite a bit younger than William. In the 1911 census i see an Emma Watters living in the farm in Ashton with Burt Watters and wife Lillie. He age of 56 corresponds to a birth date of 1855. Another daughter, Nora Watters also lived in Ashton with her husband Ernest Watters. Ernest and Burt were brothers. Lillie and Nora were both daughters of Emma Pascoe. I don't understand why Emma is listed as a Watters in the 1911 census. I can't think of another Watters she could have married.  Maybe it was a mistake in the census? Where would be the best place to find our when Emma died? I'd appreciate any help trying to solve the life of mysterious Emma Pascoe. By the way, her maiden name was also Pascoe and she married a Pascoe. Lots of Pascoes in Cornwall! Regards David

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 30 October 12 14:54 GMT (UK) »
David - if you can access the image for "Emma Watters" on 1911 and look at it carefully, I would do so