Author Topic: Woods and Manton in/around Lyddington  (Read 5637 times)

Offline maisiemo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Woods and Manton in/around Lyddington
« on: Saturday 07 July 12 13:55 BST (UK) »
I have been researching our family history for only a few months and am not experienced enough to know where to go from here on this one, so would appreciate any help.

My great grandfather was Thomas William Manton Woods, and in the family we have always known of him by that name, born in Lyddington in 1871.  His mother is Catherine Manton, born 1849 in Burton Overy.  I have been trying to find his father but keep drawing blanks.  Today I received Thomas’ birth certificate from GRO.  There is no name shown for his father.

From the census I have the following:

1851   Catherine age 1yr - living with mother Mary, (born 1825) Lyddington

1861   cannot find record of Catherine or mother

1871   Catherine MANTON age 21 - living with mother and father (Thomas and Mary) and siblings plus her son      Thomas William MANTON, born 1871   

1881   Catherine WOODS age 32, married - living with widowed mother Mary, two of her siblings, plus Thomas W Manton WOODS age 10, shown as grandson to Mary; and a grand-daughter Mary Ann WOODS, age 7, Catherine’s daughter??

1891   Catherine Woods, now head of family, age 41, widow, plus son William age 20, and a visitor Caroline Beadman (Catherine’s mother’s maiden name was Beadman).

1901   Catherine Woods, age 52, living on her own in Lyddington.
1901   Thomas W Manton Woods, age 30, now married to Caroline Elizabeth Spencer, with 5 of their eventual 9 children, including my beloved grandad Sidney William Woods.

Where did the name WOODS come from in Catherine’s life?  I can find no marriage to a Woods between 1871-1881, no death of a male Woods between 1881-1891, and no Woods male to be seen around the family in any of the census records. 

I feel I may need to jump a gap somehow, to find the correct Woods male and then come back to Catherine but I don’t know where to start.

I used to visit Lyddington church and graveyard each year when I brought my mother down to Stamford (birthplace) but did not realise then that I would become so interested in our family history.  If only ......

Anne

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Woods and Manton in/around Lyddington
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 July 12 14:06 BST (UK) »
I can't see a marriage either, maybe it was a brief relationship.

I suspect that this could be Mary Ann Woods birth registration   :-\

December qtr 1884 
Mary Ann Manton     
Uppingham  7a 332

Deleted See next post

Rosie

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 July 12 14:12 BST (UK) »
Hi

This gets even stranger as the only marriage of a Catherine Manton in Rutland is to a John Thomas Goodwin

Uppingham Rutland
June quarter 1875
7A 505

When you look at this couple in the 1881 census Catherine was born about 1849 in Liddington. Looking at the BMD there was only one Catherine Manton born in Rutland between 1848 and 1852.

Jan
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 July 12 14:26 BST (UK) »
Have just seen from 1881 Mary Ann was bn Lincolnshire  ;)
Births Dec 1873 
WOODS  Mary Ann     Stamford  7a 328
Maybe this birth cert would help

There is however a christening at Stamford on familysearch which could also be Mary Ann Woods as above - parents Edward Woods and Elizabeth (Smith as per marriage). Edward is bn Oakham and Elizabeth bn Ryhall, Rutland as per 1881 census Stamford.

Rosie

Offline maisiemo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 July 12 16:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the quick responses.

Jan
There is a second Catherine Manton born 1849 in Rutland, a school teacher. 
In the 1871 census she is with her aunt, also Catherine Manton, born 1827, living High Road, Liddington 
I think she is the one who married Thomas Goodwin.

I did print out something with that info but can't find it for the minute.

Rosie - Did you mean send to GRO for a birth cert?  I could do that if it would help.

Anne

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 July 12 16:28 BST (UK) »
Rosie - Did you mean send to GRO for a birth cert?  I could do that if it would help.

I did initially but I now wonder whether it is the registration for Mary Ann dtr of Edward and Elizabeth.  Certs are too expensive to get for the wrong people ::)

Rosie

Offline maisiemo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 July 12 14:58 BST (UK) »
After drawing more blanks, I did decide to send for Mary Ann's birth certificate, which arrived today.

Born on 24 October 1873
Father - Thomas Speck Woods, Blacksmith
Mother - Catherine Woods formerly Manton, living at East Street, Stamford

I found a birth record for a Thomas Speck Woods, Boston, 1844 Oct-Nov-Dec, but can find no marriage with Catherine (or anyone else)

In 1881 census when Catherine's 'husband' was missing from the family home, there is a Thomas Woods, b.1844 in Boston, lodger (with Mr & Mrs Green), in Sleaford working as a Railway labourer, which I suppose could be blacksmith work. 

Apart from his birth and the 1881 record, I can find nothing more for Thomas Speck Woods.  There is a death for a Thomas Woods in 1887 aged 43, which could fit in with Catherine being widowed between 1881 and 1891, but it is in Leicester so not at all sure about it.

I do think he must be Catherine's missing man.  He is definitely the father of Mary Ann (at least that is what the birth cert. says), and looks like he may be Thomas's father also but I guess we will never know that for sure.

As I have said before I am new to all this.  I do worry that I am reading more into things than I should but I have printed out everything I can and highlighted the person on the sheets that I am following through the census records from one generation to another....... and I am loving every minute of it!!

Anne