Author Topic: Tullamore barracks  (Read 8195 times)

Offline Eamann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Tullamore barracks
« on: Saturday 07 July 12 14:23 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know if any research has been done on the British army barrack in Tullamore?

My g-grandfather George Magee married a Tullamore girl, Teresa Whyte/White on 8 January 1888. She was the daughter of local shoemaker William Whyte/White, whose premises where opposite the barrack on Charleville Parade.

George Magee was born in Dublin in approx. 1860. He enlisted in the British army and ended up in 1887 in Burma with The King's Regiment (Liverpool). He lost his left arm in an accident there and was pensioned out. On his wedding lines he states his profession as “army pensioner.”

I wonder how George ended up in Tullamore? It seems probable that it was because of his army connection. Hence my interest in finding out if any research has been done on the Tullamore barrack which might throw light on George’s military career. George’s pension file should be in the Chelsea Pensioners records but unfortunately I cannot find it among those published by “Find My Past”.
Beggins (Belfast)
Brady (Cavan, later Monaghan)
Magee (Dublin)
Moore (?Derry, Belfast)
Mullan (Belfast)
O'Kane (Antrim, then Belfast)
O'Rourke (Sligo and Leitrim)
Whyte (Tullamore)

Offline rayat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tullamore barracks
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 November 13 13:28 GMT (UK) »
I spent every year when growing up o holiday in Tullamore with my family. They then lived in Parnell Street with one of the old barracks' walls at the bottom of the back garden. I do remember the firing slits which seemed odd at the time - why would soldiers be firing on the locals?
The British army were a strong presence in the town, Marching with a band to church services and towards the end being responsible for the deaths of many young local men.
There is a Tullamore historical society that could tell you much more, they have some excellent articles on line.

Offline Eamann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 November 13 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much!
Beggins (Belfast)
Brady (Cavan, later Monaghan)
Magee (Dublin)
Moore (?Derry, Belfast)
Mullan (Belfast)
O'Kane (Antrim, then Belfast)
O'Rourke (Sligo and Leitrim)
Whyte (Tullamore)

Offline trewinb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 14:57 BST (UK) »
My Great-great-great-grandfather was at Tullamore barracks. On 1st January 1824 he was appointed Barrackmaster at Tullamore. He retired from this appointment in 1839. He was a veteran of the Peninsular War having served as Paymaster for the 3rd Regiment of Foot (the Buffs) from 1802 until 1813 when he was invalided home from France. His name was Marlborough Parsons Berry of the Eglish Castle Berry's.