Author Topic: The Crew of the SS Adela 1917  (Read 11542 times)

Offline 251 richmond road

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Crew of the SS Adela 1917
« on: Saturday 07 July 12 16:45 BST (UK) »
This list so far contains 18 members of the crew plus one passenger that died on the SS Adela.

I would like to know the names of the other 5 that lost their lives that day.

The Adela was a cargo ship, a 3 masted iron steamer owned by R Tedcastle & co. Dublin. Ships role: Dublin/Liverpool service. The crew except for 2 were Merchant seamen.
On the 27th of Dec 1917 the defensively armed Adela was 12 NW of Skerries when without warning she was torpedoed and sunk by U-boat 100 under the command of captain Frhr Degenhardt Von Loe. 24 lives lost. I googled the names I found to see if I could find out about them, this led me to the Mackey family ww1, they had newspaper articles on their family site, obviously Im not allowed post them here. According to the Daily Sketch, about 8 crew got into a lifeboat, they spent 16 hours floating in the channel as they had no oars, 3 got washed away and 4 died from exposure which just left the Captain, M Tyrrell. From the list you can see who got onto the lifeboat. The Indo had a couple of articles also, title - The latest Victims, Stricken Dublin Homes, also -Dublin Victims of Disaster, Urgent need for help. These articles tell of the hardship faced by the families left behind plus details of victims. 
Wheatley, Corrigan, Brennan, Jones, Hampson, Levey, Marshall, Mc Bride, Behan, Boland,

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: The Crew of the SS Adela 1917
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 July 12 17:41 BST (UK) »
1. William Barry,
Fireman, born Dublin age 35 drowned, parents James and Mary Barry, wife Mary Barry nee Mckay of 31 Leland Place, Common st.

2. Peter Byrne,
Winchman, born Dublin age 32 drowned, parents Annie and John Byrne,wife Mary Byrne nee O'Neill od 11 pigeonhouse rd Ringsend.

3. Patrick Corcoran,
 Cattleman, born Castledermot, Kildare age 48 died from exposure, parents John and Mary Corcoran, wife Catherine Corcoran nee Tobin of 77 Townsend st.

4. Frederick W Davey,
Seaman RNR Gunner,  born Winkleigh Devon age 28  parents Thomas Lee & Sarah Davey wife Sarah Alice Davey of 3 Crofton ave Kingstown.

5. Alexander Donaldson,
Steward, born Fifeshire Scotland age 47 parents David & Isabella Donaldson wife Jessie Donaldson nee McKenzie of 38 Cowper rd Old Swan Liverpool.

6. James Farrell,
Cattleman, born Kingstown Dublin age 28 drowned, parents Matthew & Bridget Farrell nee Byrne of 32 Bessborough Ave.

7. James Fortune,
2nd Mate, born Courtown Wexford age 55 drowned,  Parents Christopher & Mary Fortune wife Anne Fortune nee Kane of 8 Hastings st Ringsend.

8. Patrick Halpin,
 Able Seaman, born Kingstown Dublin age 28 drowned, parents Robert & Mary Halpin, wife Mary E Halpin nee Jefferson of 52 York rd Kingstown.
Wheatley, Corrigan, Brennan, Jones, Hampson, Levey, Marshall, Mc Bride, Behan, Boland,

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 July 12 18:42 BST (UK) »
10. George Jones,
Able Seaman and Lamps, (my relative) born Clontarf Dublin drowned parents Thomas & Ann Jones wife Jane Jones nee Hamson of 7 upper Erne st.

11. Thomas Jones,
Fireman, born Dublin  age 55 drowned parents Thomas H jones wife Christina jones nee Downes of 100 lower Gardiner st.

12. John Mackey,
 Fireman born Dublin age 45 died from exposure parents Richard & Ellen Mackey wife Ellen Mackey nee Lynch of 17 upper oriel st .

13. Frank Mangan,
Fireman, born Dublin age 55 died from exposure parents John & Ann Mangan wife Maryanne Mangan nee Mackey of Guild st, Frank was brother-inlaw of John Mackey no. 12.

14. Joseph M Manning,
 Able Seaman, born Dublin age 26 died from exposure parents Joseph & Sarah Manning wife Mary Manning nee Canlon of 64 Dock st Ringsend.

15. Patrick McCallum,
Able Seaman, born Dublin age 38 drowned, parents Hugh & Mary McCallum.
Patrick Lived at lr Mount st.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 July 12 19:05 BST (UK) »
16. Henry James Pitt,
Acting Bombardier, Royal Marine Artillery, Gunner, No further details.

17. Laurance Keegan,
Cattleman, born Coolock Dublin, age 42 drowned, parents James & Mary Keegan wife Sarah Keegan nee Byrne  of Coolock co. Dublin.

18. Andrew Walsh,
Donkeyman born Dublin age 44 died of exposure, parents Andrew & Mary Walsh wife Frances Walsh nee Hewson of 8 Tighes Cottages Newfoundland st Dublin.

19. Christopher Wolfe,
Winchman, born Dublin age 32 drowned, parents Christopher & Mary Wolfe wife Elizabeth Wolfe nee Tully of 22 Leland Place Common st.

20. Christina Kavanagh,
Passenger, no details other than she lived with her mother at Queens Square Gt Brunswick st.

Most of the crew are remembered on the Tower Hill Memorial London.

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 July 12 19:36 BST (UK) »
The last crew agreement of ADELA official number 77398 is lodged in the British National Archive in piece BT99/3287
This should give a list of all the crew. Because she was  a Home Trade vessel this would record the crew for a six month period but you should be able to find out which crew members were onboard at the time of her loss by the dates of signing. There may also be a logbook in the same piece. This should record all of those, both crew and passengers, who were lost.
 It may also be useful to look at the Death at Sea registers for 1917 these are contained within the piece's BT334/68-71 inclusive. However because of the late time of year they may be recorded in the 1918 register these are in pieces BT334/72-74 inclusive.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 July 12 20:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks Seaweed, I shall look into that.

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 July 12 21:59 BST (UK) »
The other five:

Burrowes, Samuel James - Chief Engineer, http://www.cwgc.org/search-for-war-dead/casualty/2980150/
Caldwell, William Henderson - Second Engineer, http://www.cwgc.org/search-for-war-dead/casualty/2980245/
Connolly, Patrick - Carpenter, http://www.cwgc.org/search-for-war-dead/casualty/2977810/
Fisher, John - Able Seaman, http://www.cwgc.org/search-for-war-dead/casualty/2886601/
Pescod, Charles R - Chief Officer, http://www.cwgc.org/search-for-war-dead/casualty/2973332/

Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 July 12 23:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much Hmac, I didnt expect to get the names this fast.
Kind regards,

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 May 16 14:14 BST (UK) »
Any descendants of William Barry, (father James mother Mary/Anne) that come across this post, message me. At the time I put the Adela crew on Rootschat I hadn't realised that William Barry's Mum (Mary Anne) was the sister of George Jones's wife Jane Jones Nee Hampson/Hamson. So the two died together. So any related Barry's out there, I'm currently in touch with Hampson's in England and Australia. Would love to hear from you.
Regards Bernice