Author Topic: Powell family  (Read 9057 times)

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
Re: Powell family
« Reply #9 on: Monday 12 May 14 07:18 BST (UK) »
There are no parish records for Pembroke St Mary pre 1748. From 1711 to 1748 there is a document called "The Register of the 3 Parishes". this register covers St Mary, St Michael and Monkton St Nicholas, however it is very rare for an entry to have an ident to parish.
I have transcribed "The Register of the 3 Parishes" 1711 to 1748, St Mary 1748 to the 1930's, St Michael 1748 to the 1930's, and Monkton St Nicholas 1748 to the 1930's. I have also written 3 e-books on the Headstones and Memorials of the parishes.
From my research I note the following ;
There is no reference to a burial of a Thomas Powell circa 1717.
There is no reference to any baptism of children to a Thomas Powell post 1711.
The Powell family of this time held positions of importance and wealth in the town, they also had property in London. One of the most interesting is Doctor John Powell (Doctor of Physick) he had a son John baptised 03 Jan 1729/30 but the parish is unidentified, but quite lightly St Michael.
There are only 2 early mrge's Richard Powel 1714 and Griffith Powell 1730
A Thomas Powell was buried at St Mary on the 29 Dec 1731. He was buried under (u/r) by ye back (u/r)
A Richard Powell was buried in 1717 (day and month u/r) parish is unidentified. Richard was buried in the alley below William Jenkins seat.
From my research into the Burgess of Pembroke Borough 1678 to 2013 I note that among a number of Powells there is a Thomas Powell registered yearly ;
Thomas Powell Corvisor, 1691 ~ 1699
(In 1699 Thomas Powell has a line drawn through his name, this normally indicates "Mort")
Thomas Powell Gentleman 1704 ~ 1711
Thomas Powell Corvisor 1711 ~ 1734
(In 1734 Thomas is noted as "Mort")
Thomas Powell Esquire 1736 ~ 1761
Unfortunately the records of Burgess hold no more information than is shown here.

From my research into the Minutes of Common Council of the Borough of Pembroke St Mary I note ;
1699 ; That Thomas Powell shall personally appear at the next quarter court holden for the Town and liberties of Pembr and shall not depart there without lyecnse of the said Court and in the meantime shall keepe his majers peace and espcatially against William Rogers
 In a list of lands held by Common Council on the 09 Jan 1748 it is noted that John Powell Victualler for ye Watch House adjoining the house he lives in at 3s 4d yearly lease

A Thomas Powell was noted as a Juror in 1698, 1701 and 1722

From my research into early Mayors I note
1742 Richard Cuny Arthur Owen and Matthew Lord (Arthur Owen appointed)
1743 Richard Cuny Arthur Owen and Thomas Barlow (Richard Cuny appointed)

Rgds
Owen Ap Benfro
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline gwilliams3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 06 November 14 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Owen,

from your transcript of "The 3 parishes", do you have anything for
Elizabeth Llewhelling ( Narberth ) m William James 1807 ( Moncton sic - Monkton?)

I have only just found william, but fairly sure he's my 4xG grandfather

thanks in advance, Geoff Williams

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 07 November 14 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Owen,

from your transcript of "The 3 parishes", do you have anything for
Elizabeth Llewhelling ( Narberth ) m William James 1807 ( Moncton sic - Monkton?)

I have only just found william, but fairly sure he's my 4xG grandfather

thanks in advance, Geoff Williams
I trust the following is of interest ;
From my transcript of the parish registers of Marriages of Pembroke St Mary 1711 to 1950's I note the following
01st Nov 1807 William James of Pembroke St Mary married Mary James of Pembroke St Mary by banns in front of Nichs Roch. Both made their mark in the presence of James Thomas and George Chapman.

From my transcript of the Baptism Register of Pembroke St Mary 1711 to 1950's I note
29 Apr 1810 Mary to Wiliam & Mary James baptised
06 Mar 1808 Thomas to William  & Mary James baptised

Rgds
Owen Ap Benfro
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 14 July 18 14:07 BST (UK) »
Interested in one Powell family of Pembrokeshire, that is, a Timothy Powell who died 1814 Bastleford, near Rosemarket.

Timothy and his wife Martha Rees had at least 9 children. Martha died in 1822 and named her brothers as David Rees of Westfields and John Rees of Westbury Hill, near Rosemarket and a grand child Sarah Gudridge.

One daughter was also confirmed as Mary, Mrs. Griffith Evans.
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 19:06 BST (UK) »
what info are you looking for with regards to the Powell family?

Martha buried in Rosemarket 21 May 1822 aged 70 of St Martin's Haverfordwest

Timothy Powell of Rosemarket married Martha Rees of Freystrop 16 Sept(?) 1770

Baptisms in Rosemarket to Timothy & Martha
Anne 1 Dec 1772
Mary 20 Oct 1775
Elizabeth 8 April 1780
John 20 April 1786
Frances 15 July 1788
Hannah 8 May 1794

Mary Powell of Rosemarket married Griffith Evans of St Martin's 24 Jan 1799.

Baptisms in St Martin's to Griffith & Mary
Mary 17 Nov 1799
William 3 May 1801
Elizabeth 7 Oct 1804
James 21 May 1809
in Haverfordwest Tabernacle
Martha 11 July 1814
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 10:23 BST (UK) »
Thank Osprey (again).
New line of Rees family just uncovered, that is, Martha Rees the wife of Timothy Powell. Her Will of 1822 recorded her brothers as being my ancestor David Rees of Westfields and John Rees of Westbury Hill, and a yet to discover grand daughter Sarah Gutridge.

David Rees at Westfields in 1822 is a mystery to us; therefore, we have just prepared land tax records from 1788 to help uncover this mystery. This David Rees was at Castle Inn, Haverfordwest until Jul 1805 (The Cambrian); Derby farm St. Issels Haroldstone; 1817 Woodbine Cottage, so our first thought was the Westfields farm adjacent Woodbine Cottage and Derby farms in 1822, before moving on to Dredgman's Hill 1831 (Will); then back to Derby farm and Green Hill farms by his death in 1837. All farms very close to each other.

There were two other Westfields farms , west and east of Rosemarket, and two John Rees' occupied them. It now throws into the equation that maybe David Rees' uncle was also called John Rees, and he may have leased West Hill; Westfields on the east side of Rosemarket.

Brother John Rees also connected to both Westfields near Rosemarket.

Thank you for the Powell information. I will need to thoroughly research Mary Powell's husband Griffith Evans. In 1831 Will, David Rees' sister also called Sarah Evans. I can't find her death bp. 1757 Freystrop and expected death between Will's of 1831 (beneficiary) and 1835 (not mentioned).
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 21:07 BST (UK) »
is this the death notice for David Rees?

http://newspapers.library.wales/view/3329025/3329028/20/

David Rees 79 buried 28 April 1837 St Martin's Haverfordwest, address noted as Merlin's Hill, late of Greenhill

Possible burial?
Sarah Evans 83 in Camrose 16 April 1834 abode noted as Keeston
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 22:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the Sarah Evans reference. I will look further into the Evans people in that area.

Yes, that is my David Rees. He must have taken over the lease of Greenhill as well in 1835, as per another of his Wills.

I did find a possible Powell grandson at Merlin's Hill. Maybe David Rees went there to die or it was a nursing home near his home or private hospital at Green Hill.

His 1837 Will showed one second son Lt. William Lee Rees inherited Derby farm leases. Also had a farm called Trenewydd, County of Carmanthan that also had to be sold and profits divided.

Lucky us,, this guy also had another Will version in 1797, so I have four documents giving plenty of information.