Author Topic: Matthew Weekes??  (Read 5285 times)

Offline The-Game

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Matthew Weekes??
« on: Sunday 08 July 12 05:47 BST (UK) »
As my family are trying to find out about our family history, on both my mum and dad's sides and their parents sides. We're trying to find out any information on a man believed to be named Mathew/Matthew Weekes/Weeks who is believed to of been born between 1908-1912 not sure where. But It's our belief he was in Cowra, New South Wales, Australia in 1931(in his early 20's). Unfortunetly we do not have any more info on this man. But some family have spent fruitless hours going through records and we can't seem to find him. Any info is much appreciated,
                                                      Turner Family  :)
Turner, Woodford, Pullen, weekes/weeks, Redfern.

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Warnock and Annie Balcombe
    • View Profile
Re: Matthew Weekes??
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 July 12 08:49 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Can't see anything on electoral roll, the only Matthew Weekes is in Qld 1970's and 1980. I can't find anything on Trove either, only a Matthew Weekes in Hobart.
mum mum
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 July 12 09:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Turner family :)

What information do you have on Matthew Weekes?  Where does he fit into your family? 
There's nothing obvious in the NSW BDMs online but they only go up to 1911. 
Could he have been born overseas?

Prue

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 July 12 09:29 BST (UK) »
He seems not to have been born in NSW after 1911 either.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline The-Game

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 July 12 09:36 BST (UK) »
Hello Turner family :)

What information do you have on Matthew Weekes?  Where does he fit into your family? 
There's nothing obvious in the NSW BDMs online but they only go up to 1911. 
Could he have been born overseas?

Prue

Hello Prue,
                  We don't have any information other then we believe he was in Cowra, New South Wales, Australia in 1931/32 when he was around 22-24 (possibly born 1909?), Though due to the information being relayed from an 85-90 year old roughly 15-20 years ago the details might of been misconscrued. This gentleman is is deceased or would be in his 100's.

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Warnock and Annie Balcombe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 July 12 10:24 BST (UK) »
Hi
Do you know his occupation, was he a friend of the older person who told you about him??

I wonder what other names could be confused with Weekes?

mum mum
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 July 12 10:44 BST (UK) »
I had a thought that this person might have been about the right age to have served in WW2, but the only WEEKES or WEEKS with a given name of Matthew is:

QX14335 Thomas Matthew WEEKS b. 1915 in Qld (barcode 4851715 on the NAA catalogue)

Doesn't look promising  :-\

The-Game/Turner family, is this person involved in your family somehow? I'm just trying to work out how we can find him, was he married into the family, was he the father of a child of your family, was he just an acquaintance that you're trying to find out about?  What is the significance of Cowra, is that where your family was?

Offline The-Game

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 July 12 10:57 BST (UK) »
I had a thought that this person might have been about the right age to have served in WW2, but the only WEEKES or WEEKS with a given name of Matthew is:

QX14335 Thomas Matthew WEEKS b. 1915 in Qld (barcode 4851715 on the NAA catalogue)

Doesn't look promising  :-\

The-Game/Turner family, is this person involved in your family somehow? I'm just trying to work out how we can find him, was he married into the family, was he the father of a child of your family, was he just an acquaintance that you're trying to find out about?  What is the significance of Cowra, is that where your family was?

From what I've been told, due to it being a delicate topic, It's believed he was in Cowra, unknown why, but he had an indiscretion with my great grandmother, and it's believed he may of been an unknowing father to one of her children. So details have always been very scarce

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 July 12 11:25 BST (UK) »
I thought it might have been something like that  ;)

We'll keep digging, and maybe something will turn up.