Author Topic: 1767 madely baptism lookup request please  (Read 10317 times)

Offline madeley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1767 madely baptism lookup request please
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 10 April 14 18:57 BST (UK) »
There used to be a wase familey that had the farm next to the beeches hospital on beech road madeley.

Offline bradelkington

• RootsChat Veteran
  • third great grandmother Elizabeth bull b.1839
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 25 April 14 20:29 BST (UK) »
So now ive confirmed sarah wase born 1767 in madeley is the daughter of William wase and jane cranage. Jane cranage's father was George was of coalbrookdale who done sort of invention in 1766 to do with pig iron?
William wase was the son of Benjamin wase a vicar of bolas magna who died in 1758, and his father again was john wase, he seemed a very important man with lots online about him. He died in 1715 and had a charity, a extract of his will is inscripted in tibberton church, he left money to all the poor of waters upton. He was a barrister and also a councillor of shrewsbury. In 1703 john wase modernised a mansion in waters upton, I cannot find more about the background of john was other than this and he married Dorothy stockins in 1693 in much wenlock. As he was so wealthy that he had several properties and a barrister and left huge sums of money to his charity he must come from a well to do family? How can I go further back than that?

Offline wish I was fishing

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 May 14 16:08 BST (UK) »
I've seen the actual parish record for Dorothy stocking marrying at Much Wenlock & I'm not convinced it says John Wase, It's more like John Wyre. It gives his parish as Stoke St Milborough which is quite a distance from Stoke on Tern where he had Benjamin.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 01 May 14 16:40 BST (UK) »
Just found a reference for a John Wase at the Middle temple where he was admitted in 1684 & called to the bar in 1691. It describes him as the son & heir of William Wase gent. of Fankelow, Cheshire. I think they mean Hankelow which isn't far from the Shropshire border. I've also come across a reference to a document at Shropshire archives where Dorothy Wase (wife of John of Shrewsbury )gives up some land at Hankelow for some at Coleham Shrewsbury.  This has to be our John?

Offline Atcherley.org.uk

• RootsChat Extra
  • I used to think genealogy was the study of genies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 15 November 14 22:39 GMT (UK) »
The surname Wase was occasionally written as Waste (e.g. in the burial record of Benjamin Wase at Great Bolas). Hankelow, though now a parish in its own right, was a township in the parish of Audlem. In the Audlem parish register there is a baptism, dated 24 April 1661, for "John sonne of William Waste" - I suspect this was the baptism of John Wase who married Dorothy and went on to have children John and Henry at Market Drayton / Drayton in Hales (baptisms there in 1692 and 1695 respectively) followed by Rebecca and Benjamin at Stoke upon Tern (baptisms there in 1697 and 1699).

"William Wase, of Hankelow, yeoman" was an executor of the will made by John Sharples(s) dated 4 May 1682 according to The Bond family: descendants of Richard Bond, 1692-1997 (author Betty L Bond Pennington).

I have not found anything further on William (who is my ancestor too) however the Audlem register includes a burial for a lady whose name may have been Ann (the name is somewhat indistinct) "wife of William Wase buried ye 11th of January" 1672/3.
Atcherley: all locations. Jones and Price: Shrops. Thacker, Gilbert, Hall, Bratton, Myatt, Hawkins, Richards, Tomkinson/Tonkinson, Roden - all Staffs (Church Eaton / Eccleshall / Ellenhall / Gnosall / High Offley / Seighford areas). Jackson: Abbots Bromley & Aston/Birmingham. Talbot: Abbots Bromley, Staffs. Arnott: Oxfordshire.  Lawrence: Birmingham. Bason: Warks. Arlidge/Aldridge: Northants/Oxon. Thornborough: Warks.

Offline Jan Keenan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 31 July 15 08:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave,

My 4x great grandfather is also Benjamin Peake (Lapley 1789).  We have his mother as Sally Wase, 1766-1765,  who married George Peake in Lapley in 1788.  It seems likely that we're talking about the same people, despite the minor discrepancy in Sally/Sarah's DoB.  I'd be interested to know how you decided that your Sally was actually Sarah, and would be grateful if you could point me in the right direction of the relevant records.  I'm new to all this, so would be grateful for any help.

With thanks,

Jan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 24 August 15 10:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan
There is a will on line (can't remember the site off hand) for William Wase who was the son of Benjamin & Grandson of John that specifically mentions Sally/Sarah Peak as one of his heirs. There is also a will of her aunt Alice Wase, a spinster, who also moved to Lapley. 

Offline Jan Keenan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 24 August 15 15:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Dave.  I found William's will, and also found the baptism certificate for Nicholas, which confirmed that William's wife  was Jane (Cranage).  However in looking for Jane's father, George, Cranage I found two in Shropshire born 1699 & 1701, respectively.  One married Elizabetha Jones and the other married Elizabeth Palmer ( I think this was George of  Coalbrookdale.). Did you come across anything to confirm this?

Didn't know about Sarah's aunt - will look this up! :)

Jan

Offline bradelkington

• RootsChat Veteran
  • third great grandmother Elizabeth bull b.1839
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 24 August 15 20:24 BST (UK) »
Hi there Jan sorry about the late reply someone managed to miss your question, I have a few interesting articles, I have sarah/sally wase/peakes death cert she died 23 april 1855 in Stourbridge aged 88 widow of George peake a tailor, she died of old age. now the death was registered as sally peake when the cert arrived in a column of its own states sarah substitute sally corrected on 25 april 1855 by me Edward levi registrar in the presence of henry Talbot and mary ann mountford both in attendance.

also a news paper notice which confirms it all which ive attached shows she was a widow of George peake of Stafford a tailor and eldest daughter of William wase esquire of madley