Author Topic: Samuel Carson Boyd, county of oxford, 1829  (Read 19646 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Carson Boyd, county of oxford, 1829
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 04 August 12 05:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie and Tom,
Just had to let you know that it all came together tonight. It was my Susan Boyd named in the will of Samuel Carson and her brothers were William Carson Boyd and Samuel Carson Boyd that we found in Ontario. She also had the brothers John and Robert mentioned in the will. And the whole family emigrated to Canada - Samuel and Mary and nine children. You two are the ones who led me to find the parents and siblings of my g grandmother, after years of fruitless searching. I am so excited
right now I am sure I will be awake for hours. We have found much on Samuel and William and of course my Susan but not
much on the others as yet. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 22:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie and Tom,
A couple days ago, I found out the name of Samuel Carson Boyd Sr.'s wife. It was Mary Lawson. I found this on the death certificate of Jane Boyd who married Arthur Delmage in Quebec, spent most of her married life in Sarnia, Ontario but then died in Michigan, USA where her oldest daughter was living. I think several of her children had moved to Michigan. So now I have extensive information on William Carson Boyd and descendants, on Samuel Carson Boyd, Jr. , on my Susan and on Jane. The rest are still a mystery but time will tell. Thanks again for all your help.
I also sent a message to the owner of the George family tree to see if he has any Carson info but doesn't look likely.
Peggy

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 06:11 GMT (UK) »
I was rereading these old postings and had a question about the Freeman of Oxford as both Samuel Carson and his nephew Samuel Carson Boyd belonged.  Would there be further information with regard to their acquiring this status, such as an application which might have personal information on it such as date and place of birth, and parents? I am trying every avenue to find out more about the family lineage. Thanks for any help
Peggy

It looks like both Samuel & his nephew were Freeman of Oxford either by purchase, inheritance or apprenticeship.

Samuel Carson
Oxford Freemen Index 1663–1997, 27.11.1786.
Reference OPI-56608

Samuel Carson Boyd
Oxford Freemen Index 1663–1997, 25.11.1812.
Reference OPI-56541

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peggy

I think the best place to ask if there is anymore info on the freemen is the Oxford Records Office - I think it is possible to E-mail them.

DebbieG
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Deb. Good to hear from you again. These Boyds with their non-conformist religion are hard to trace.
Peggy

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 29 September 13 01:47 BST (UK) »
Hello again,
I have read and reread these messages and replies about my Samuel Carson Boyd who lived in Oxford, England until 1830. I have 2 questions. One, is there any way to find out who owned the wine and brandy merchant business before his uncle Samuel Carson? Maybe it was a relative who willed it to Samuel Carson. That would be a great lead.
Second, something just struck me a couple minutes ago. One of the persons mentioned in Samuel Carson's will was Hugh Ensworth of Carmoney in the parish of Killead who was willed 10 pounds. What struck me was that my aunt, who would be the ggg granddaughter of Jenny Boyd nee Carson, mentioned in Samuel's will, had the middle name of Ensworth. I am thinking that Hugh must have been a relative of some sort for my aunt to be given this middle name. Previously, I had just thought this was an unusual middle name but now I see that there may be a connection back in the family tree. What it is I don't know as yet.
Peggy

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 17 October 15 23:41 BST (UK) »
Today, I have learned the meaning of "no bill" on the court index in 1829 when Samuel Carson Boyd was charged with horse stealing.  The complete phrase would be "no true bill" and it means there is not enough evidence to support the charge.
Peggy